PDA

View Full Version : striping kits

AielLandscaping
12-10-2001, 04:24 PM
i'm going to try making a striping kit for my honda hrc216's. has anyone tried this? if so what seems to be the best way to go about it? i'm going to be using some pretty heavy chain but i'm wondering what size of chain would be the best. also how much chain should i be dragging behind the mower? i was thinking about a foot should be on the ground...

Bunton Guy
12-10-2001, 04:49 PM
They are gimmics....I can take any mower and stripe. You dont need it just learn how to stripe the right way without wasting your money on chains or anything.

vipermanz
12-10-2001, 05:42 PM
i've made one before i'll get a pic

vipermanz
12-10-2001, 05:49 PM
sorry about the quality, it was a quick pic

Doogiegh
12-10-2001, 06:57 PM
I made a striping kit myself. CHeck it out, here is the link..

http://www.geocities.com/garyh1116/lawn/index.htm

GLS
12-10-2001, 07:11 PM
Has anyone using a chain striping kit (bought or home-made) have any problems with theirs? If you back up, does it interfere with the blades or are they too heavy to get "sucked up" if they went under? Thanks

LawnPro in NC
12-11-2001, 01:23 AM
Using a 36 gravely W.B. It stripes O.K. But they don't last? Why?:confused:

odin
12-11-2001, 02:17 AM
oryano
I use a stripe kit made for the dixie chopper by them and also a home made one for my lazer48 .Only problem and it is not a big problem sometimes sticks will get stuck in the links.
The kit on the chopper helps a little
The home made one on the lazer48 helps a lot.
The lazer has always striped fair but after the chains it stripes great.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-11-2001, 02:30 AM
The stripes you see in lawns the darker ones are in blue grass.

Look at my site, click the marquee and you will see zoysia and fescue made with a stock Lazer or turf tracer

odin
12-11-2001, 02:48 AM
LAWNGODFATHER
Are you useing doubles on your exmarks?It takes the chains to get stripes like that with our's

LAWNGODFATHER
12-11-2001, 03:05 AM
No

Stock Exmarks

No chains

No doubles

Just silver streak high lift blades, one on each spindle.

I've tryed doubles, didn't make a diff on the stripes, burned a lot of gas.

1grnlwn
12-11-2001, 12:22 PM
Just made one for my walk behind. It striped decent, but here we like continuous improvement. 43" wide 30ft of 5/16 chain with about 5 links touching the ground. No links behind wheels and chains neer wheels can be made shorter. Will have photo tonight. Here are results.(first attempt at pic.) P.S. Wife hates stripes.

Runner
12-11-2001, 02:35 PM
Your wife hates that? Would she rather see tracks just going around in circles?

Originally posted by 0ryan0
Has anyone using a chain striping kit (bought or home-made) have any problems with theirs? If you back up, does it interfere with the blades or are they too heavy to get "sucked up" if they went under? Thanks
Oryan, what ever you do, or end up with, you NEVER have them at a length that they go under the deck! No matter HOW heavy the chain is. Eventually, you'll end up with a piece of "striping kit" in you ankle, or worse yet, in someones eye.

DSL DOC
12-11-2001, 05:14 PM
Oryan i like leaving chain long so can use for other prupose if necc. now then i noticed you have the tounge of the cross bar away from unit and it swivels there in a turn backing do the chains get caught under wheels how does that work and why a 3 piece crossbar and not a single. your setup looks awesome and thnanks for nice pix im not knocking it tryin to learn pal. :D

1grnlwn
12-11-2001, 08:07 PM
Here is my first stripper. Be kind I just threw it together to test before the snow falls.