PDA

View Full Version : Bunton Mower-one speed-super fast

tprefontaine
04-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I bought an old 42 inch Bunton mower. It runs great, but for some reason it only has one speed-super fast. I have to squeeze the handles the entire time to control the speed which is a hassle. Ive tinkered with it a bit but cant figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

FIXDISS
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I bought an old 42 inch Bunton mower. It runs great, but for some reason it only has one speed-super fast. I have to squeeze the handles the entire time to control the speed which is a hassle. Ive tinkered with it a bit but cant figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?
Are you referring to ground speed here ?

topsites
04-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Is it a hydro or a belt / gear-drive?

Not sure about hydros but if it's a gear drive you might start looking for a shift lever, and see if you can select a lower gear.

themowerman
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Sounds like you have one of the older variable speed machines. There is a variable speed clutch mounted to the engine shaft. Either the linkage came undone, needs to be adjusted or it froze up on you. It is a spring loaded clutch and the more you move the idler bracket it will either tighten or loosen the belt....which in turn the clutch will either open up or close up moving the location of the belt on the clutch...almost like a snowmobile clutch but just a bet different. You may have to free up the clutch or replace it.......