PDA

View Full Version : Wow !

Bunton Guy
12-10-2001, 05:01 PM
Boy Im jeleous of this one new outfit. This guy I had talked to was just working at a grocery store over the summer he is I think in the early 20's he bought a new cab over truck and a 61" ZTR 48" hydro scag w.b. & 36" hydro w.b and varous sweet new equipment and he just started from scratch..within 28 days of getting his business liscence and insured he said he had 45 residential customers & 20 commercial customers ....WOW amazing he has 2 helpers because he just got into doing some landscaping jobs. He had said he never had any background in mowing or landscaping he seems to be doing preety good. I have noticed he does take a little longer at each acount then me but that might be the key for him to keeping the jobs because when he drives away from his acounts they are spotless not a clipping on the street or sidewalks. The only part that disturbs me is he walked into one of my neighborhoods and walked out in the same day with 13 acounts 2 being old ones on mine that I let go last year. And on top of that I had done a residential bid for doing pine needles and lost it to someone else...the lady said my prices were to high. I had quoted her $7.50 per bail of pine needles and that she needed 123 bails. Which that comes out to being $922.50 for putting down pine needles in all of her beds. So this guy that I had met and was talken to had actually gotten the job. He quoted her 144 bails at 8.50 each she payed him 301.50 EXTRA !!!! how, why, did he get that job I have no clue. He did do a good job and I could have done the job just as good. This makes flames shoot out of my nose ! only mad at the customer not the scaper. He must have some real sales skills I have never seen or heard of someone doing as well as him in such a short period of time. :blob2: :cry: :angry: :mad:

John from OH
12-10-2001, 05:26 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Sales Skills, sadly lacking in our industry. Most lco's give the customer a price with little thought of how to present a total package to the client. How the client views us also affects how well we sell. Selling is getting them to sign at your price. Selling is just part of the total equation. He will need to provide outstanding service to go along with his selling skills and learn to handle the business end to make it long term. I've been in this long enough to see them come and go. The ones with the fastest growth seem to go down with the biggest flames.

MATTHEW
12-10-2001, 06:55 PM
Reminds me of what a marketing manager told me on the first day of my new job. Just get them to LIKE YOU, then they'll but everything in the book. How true.:rolleyes:

Lawnworks
12-10-2001, 07:35 PM
Bunton Guy:
Yall get 7.50 a bale??? How do yall pull that off? How big are the bales? Going price down here for a bale is $3.50-5.00.

KirbysLawn
12-10-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Lawnworks
Bunton Guy:
Yall get 7.50 a bale??? How do yall pull that off? How big are the bales? Going price down here for a bale is $3.50-5.00.

Huh?? I pay $3.50 a bale and charge $7.00 for D&I, how or WHY would you charge $3.00-$5.00?:confused:

Bunton Guy
12-10-2001, 10:57 PM
Yeah I buy them for around 3.50-3.75 so I charge the same amount to put them down...all comes out to 7.50 a bail that icludes application...

fshrdan
12-10-2001, 11:07 PM
Prices for pinestraw must be escalated in NC. I normally pay $2.75 delivered to my house. I charge customers $5.50 per bale spread. For big jobs I don't want to fool with, I'll get the Mexican that sells me the straw to spread it too. He charges me $4/bale, so I get $1.5/bale to do nothing. I really like that.

KirbysLawn
12-10-2001, 11:19 PM
Most of the pineneedles come from Ga, they go thru a few more middle men before they get here so we do pay a little more than ya'll GA boys.

LawnPro in NC
12-11-2001, 01:00 AM
My straw prices just Went UP. I am getting it for 3.50 and was Picking up and spreading for 5.00. 1.50 per bale to spread. just went up today as a matter of fact to 6.50.

Bunton Tell him about Lawnsite

Richard Martin
12-11-2001, 03:07 AM
Bunton Guy wrote:
He quoted her 144 bails at 8.50 each she payed him 301.50 EXTRA !!!! how, why, did he get that job I have no clue.

Who told you that he got $8.50 a bail? The customer or the new guy with the all of the new equiptment bills? If you believe everything that he tells you then I have some Florida swamp land to sell you too.

If he picked up 45 residentials and 20 commercials in one month I have only one thing to say. LOWBALLER.

lbmd1
12-11-2001, 09:37 AM
We have a guy up here that did the same thing with irrigation. One day he's working for a friend of mine who runs a huge landscaping\irrigation company (no maintenance), the next week I see him with a new F350 4x4, enclosed trailer, etc... I find out through my mechanic that he just put in an 11 head stainless steel head irrigation system, with a Hunter control panel and first 2 seasons winterizing and opening for $1100!!!! Not to mention he had to have a licensed plumber to tie the system into the house! I'm not up on irrigation parts pricing but if he made a couple hundred bucks on that one, I'd be amazed. He is obviously LOWBALLING other guys who have been in the industry who legally run their business with proper pricing and overhead recovery costs. I should mention that he also lives at home with his mommy at 25 years old. So his overhead costs are pretty low I guess. Young guys with new trucks\equipment will always be around. It's just like the turtle and hare scenario. Slow and steady wins the race!

Mike

Bunton Guy
12-11-2001, 09:38 AM
Yes it was the same guy I had talked to that told me he got the job. I dont know if he is a low baller I never asked how low he is going for on most all lawns..I know one of my lawns that he had gotten right after I got rid of them he gets 20 bucks more a month than I did.

Richard Martin
12-11-2001, 09:50 AM
Bunton Guy wrote:
I know one of my lawns that he had gotten right after I got rid of them he gets 20 bucks more a month than I did.

Did he tell you this or did the former customer tell you this?

Runner
12-11-2001, 03:06 PM
EXACTly what I was thinking. Don't be jealous of this guy, just keep an eye on him for a year or two. Why? Because he's going to have alot of nice equipment for sale before long. Let's think about this, a moment. The guy works at a grocery store, then suddenly comes up with all this equipment. Can you say- "Heavy note"? Now, if he's selling THIS much, this fast, it's for one reason, and one reason only. We all know what that is. It isn't "sales skills". It's called going in and getting a whole bunch of work real quick, because it's STILL more work and money coming in than none at all. Well, what happens after that? (For us seasoned, experienced players) Before you know it, (for some it takes longer - some aLOT longer) you realize that you're not making any money the way you should, esPECially to pay for a new truck, new mowers, and all the other new equipment, let aLONE the insurances, employees, etc. I bet if you looked into it, this guy probably doesn't even HAVE insurance except his full coverage on his truck. (required because of the note) Also, there's the employees. You mean to tell me that he just hired on two guys, out of the blue, before he even had enough work for them? He doesn't even know how two guys WORK systematically out in the field. These guys PROBably aren't even on the books. Let's be realistic here. DO the numbers. You'll see for yourself that all that glitters is not gold. Sure, some of you are thinking, it sound like a case of M&D financing, and it may very well be. But, that isn't going to change the numbers on the bank notes, compared to the numbers on the customer checks.
Oh, incidentally, if you're wondering what M&D Financing is, it stands for mom & dad.
*Heavy sigh* Yeah, I've seen 'em come, and I've seen 'em go.

Lawnworks
12-11-2001, 07:16 PM
I get my straw for 2.50 a bale and usually charge 1.50 to spread. I think I am going up to 2.00 this year. I could get cheaper straw but my pinestraw distributer is my friend so I don't care. I think being in debt sucks. I have everything payed for-Chopper and truck. I am making slow, steady growth. I like to think of things as mine not the bank's. Just my opinion.

Rick

Bunton Guy
12-12-2001, 09:27 PM
Richard the scaper told me that he had the acount that he had seen me at in the past...he asked how much I got per month and I told him..I figured I had nothing to loose seing that I dont have the acount anymore.

Runner
12-12-2001, 10:14 PM
Your stuff is paid for. His probably isn't. Who's walking off with more when that job is done?