PDA

View Full Version : what would you do

humble1
04-29-2008, 11:18 PM
I offer a base tick control program granular and spray 3 times per year.
1)This woman insists on only getting 2 sprays.
2)Against my better judgment i say okay but note it on the contact its the customers call.
3) I was going to spray her tomorrow, she says no, its going to rain all week, its not going to rain again for over a week, she still says no.
4) I feel like dumping her for being a pain and trying to take control of the whole thing.
5)Im supposed to be the boss, but dont like cutting customers I am still a small operation

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Hissing Cobra
04-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I'd cut her loose and find another customer. She's certainly not worth the aggrevation to earn the little amount of money for just two applications. People like that are a huge waste of time - time that you'll never be able to get back.

I've dealt with people like that (those who insist on cutting corners). Those are the first people to complain when something isn't right and then they insist that you didn't do your job right and want you to come back and apply the product again - at no charge. After a few of those, I've learned to walk away.:walking:

2stroke
04-29-2008, 11:42 PM
... and then she is gunna call and complain that she has tickks.:nono:

humble1
04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
... and then she is gunna call and complain that she has tickks.:nono:

hey i used to live in grand juction

tlg
04-30-2008, 12:17 AM
If a customer is unreasonable you have no choice but to respectfully decline service. The customer should not dictate how you run your business. With the high cost of fuel alone making special trips to service a customer out of your regular routes is completely insane. She hired you because she needed a professional service. Do you think she knows more than you? Politely tell her the way it is. Tell her what you can do not what you can't do. If she still resist, run! It's not worth the aggravation.

garydale
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I have told probably a dozen people over the years that they are "not good candidates" for lawn care and walked away from their work.

It's more fun to poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick than deal with people would won't listen.

(wi) Roots
05-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Sound like she has dealt with your kind before?

What make you different?

What do you have to offer that tell her you not?

Exactly!

humble1
05-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Sound like she has dealt with your kind before?

What make you different?

What do you have to offer that tell her you not?

Exactly!

Now I have had a few beers, but you are making no sence:drinkup:

mngrassguy
05-03-2008, 02:48 AM
Now I have had a few beers, but you are making no sence:drinkup:

I thought it was just me!!! lol

greendoctor
05-03-2008, 04:54 AM
I have told probably a dozen people over the years that they are "not good candidates" for lawn care and walked away from their work.

It's more fun to poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick than deal with people would won't listen.

I will not do any work for someone who proceeds to override my experience and technical knowledge. To answer the post about "organic" tick control. I will also have nothing to do with the politically correct or the chemical nazis. I will also decline work from prospective clients who have dogs, kids or themselves afflicted with "chemical sensitivity". All of these conditions are much more liability and expense than what said client is willing to pay me for. It does not help my cause that the University of Hawaii Ag school is full of mealy mouth, politically correct, chemophobes. The DOA here is also full of graduates from this same school. What I learned about weed, pest and disease management sure did not come from the University. A prospective client did mention hiring a UH Horticulture professor as a consultant prior to my giving him an estimate. This client would be worth $5000 per year to me. No sale. He wants to maintain his landscape according to the politically correct guidelines of the consultant and his kids and dog have "allergies". I would rather take the time to educate a client who thinks I do not spray enough.

humble1
05-03-2008, 11:27 PM
thanks guys, i am dropping her