PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water For Dandelions

BillyRgn
04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
i herd a rumor, which i dont no if it is true or not, so i am asking if it is, is cooking salt & water used to kill dandelions?? and how you would mix it up to make it effective.

mngrassguy
04-30-2008, 02:56 AM
Just a minute. I'll check the label and get back to you

BillyRgn
05-03-2008, 12:59 PM
anyone? i'm serious, i that this was an alternative

Ric
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Just a minute. I'll check the label and get back to you

MN

I like to add a little black pepper and garlic to my greens for better flavor.

BTW here is the label
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/salad/dandelion.html

humble1
05-03-2008, 10:22 PM

are you drunk, what are you asking?

my wifes grandmother used to eat dandelions, im not sure what part.
You would also kill the grass around it.
You have to be joking right:hammerhead:

Ric
05-04-2008, 01:17 AM

BillyRgn

Network or hire a professional lawn care company, it is obvious you don't have a clue of what lawn care is about.

LushGreenLawn
05-04-2008, 07:48 AM
BTW, believe it or not, you have to have a pesticide license to apply salt water.

Someone brought it up in my certification class, about organics in general, and the answer was, if you are applying anything, and telling the customer it will kill a pest, it is a pesticide. It dosen't matter if you spit on the dandilion, you can't do it for the purpose of killing the weed.

And BTW, you don't have to boil it, saltwater is a "somewhat" effective weed killer (In a very high concentration) , but it is non-selective. Its cheaper to just spray round up. You can also use vineger, but again, Round Up is cheaper.

AI Inc
05-04-2008, 07:50 AM
are you drunk, what are you asking?

my wifes grandmother used to eat dandelions, im not sure what part.
You would also kill the grass around it.
You have to be joking right:hammerhead:

I remember as a kid an old farmer making dandilion wine and giving some to my folks.

bug-guy
05-04-2008, 09:09 AM
alot of herbicides are made of salts. i once knew a lady who killed of carpetgrass with table salt right out of the shaker.
also remeber the damage salt did in the no-name storm here in the 90's

BillyRgn
05-04-2008, 01:30 PM
BTW, believe it or not, you have to have a pesticide license to apply salt water.

Someone brought it up in my certification class, about organics in general, and the answer was, if you are applying anything, and telling the customer it will kill a pest, it is a pesticide. It dosen't matter if you spit on the dandelion, you can't do it for the purpose of killing the weed.

And BTW, you don't have to boil it, saltwater is a "somewhat" effective weed killer (In a very high concentration) , but it is non-selective. Its is cheaper to just spray round up. You can also use vinegar, but again, Round Up is cheaper.
thank you for clearing that up for me, and humble one, no i am not drunk,an ric i might actually have a clue what lawn care is about. i am actually surprised about how critical everyone was about that question, just because you "no it alls" have not herd about it dosen't mean it is not true. and thank you lush green lawn for clearing it up for me.

Ric
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
tthank you for clearing that up for me, and humble one, no i am not drunk,an ric i might actually have a clue what lawn care is about. i am actually surprised about how critical everyone was about that question, just because you "no it alls" have not herd about it dosen't mean it is not true. and thank you lush green lawn for clearing it up for me.

Billy

Before you get your nose out of joint, let me explain Green industry vernacular to you. Lawn Service is mowing and trimming. Lawn Care is Chemical treatment of Yards. You may be the best Lawn Service guy around, but you know very little about Lawn Care.

BTW South Florida doesn't have Dandelions, it is too hot for them. But we still have our share of weeds.

LushGreenLawn
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Your Very Welcome, I'd hate to see you get fined over something so stupid.

Runner
05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Lawn Service is mowing and trimming. Lawn Care is Chemical treatment of Yards.

LOL. Actually, this IS true.:) Lawn care is an actual text term - used in books in universities throughout the U.S. defining it as just that.
It is a term however that is widely overused by many people who do not know the difference. there are even a great percentage of lawn maintenance companies who use the term "lawn care" in their title (i.e. "Joe's Lawn Care") that just do mowing and such.

Ric
05-04-2008, 11:21 PM
LOL. Actually, this IS true.:) Lawn care is an actual text term - used in books in universities throughout the U.S. defining it as just that.
It is a term however that is widely overused by many people who do not know the difference. there are even a great percentage of lawn maintenance companies who use the term "lawn care" in their title (i.e. "Joe's Lawn Care") that just do mowing and such.

Runner

How many lawn boys call themselves Landscapers but have never so much as replaced a plant let alone done a design and install??? Green Industry terms are very much misused. Just about every industry has it's own vernacular. It is one way of knowing who the real professionals are. If you were on a boat and the captain said "Go Down Stair" you wouldn't have much faith. "Go Below" is what I would expect he would say.

watssion
05-05-2008, 11:55 AM
So, what is the most effective way to kill dandelions, I means a lot of them, all over the lawn. Thank you!

LushGreenLawn
05-05-2008, 08:18 PM
So, what is the most effective way to kill dandelions, I means a lot of them, all over the lawn. Thank you!

The best way for YOU to kill lots of Dandilions in the lawn is to hire someone to do it for you. I means a professional.

humble1
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
thank you for clearing that up for me, and humble one, no i am not drunk,an ric i might actually have a clue what lawn care is about. i am actually surprised about how critical everyone was about that question, just because you "no it alls" have not herd about it dosen't mean it is not true. and thank you lush green lawn for clearing it up for me.

I asked if you were drunk because of the sequence of your question. Not because you asked if pouring salt would kill weeds.

Runner
05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
And not to sound smart-alec, and Lush Green lawn isn't meaning to either, but that IS the most logical and best answer. :)

iand
05-06-2008, 01:39 AM
if there in your own lawn you could try a broadleaf herbacide

yellbird
05-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I use the salt from the water softener and have a hollow pole filled with the salt about 3 feet long with a spring and hole on the bottom. I just walk around and just sorta dab a little salt on each one. Kills them in about a week. I have 2 1/2 acres and it works like a charm.

i herd a rumor, which i dont no if it is true or not, so i am asking if it is, is cooking salt & water used to kill dandelions?? and how you would mix it up to make it effective.

mngrassguy
05-10-2008, 05:32 PM
I use the salt from the water softener and have a hollow pole filled with the salt about 3 feet long with a spring and hole on the bottom. I just walk around and just sorta dab a little salt on each one. Kills them in about a week. I have 2 1/2 acres and it works like a charm.

We need a thread here called "post a joke".