PDA

View Full Version : A Dirty Subject

GroundKprs
01-26-2000, 05:59 PM
Has anyone found a decent method of handling dog crap, other than just quitting the property? We expect residential cust to have yard clean on the day we mow, and work around a few piles. I just hate to run thru a pile and leave splotches across walks & drives.<p>But on some small commercial properties abutting low end residential area, we sometimes have a real problem. Once filled a 5 gal pail on one treelawn during spring cleanup. Best thing I've found is old plastic bag like bread wrappers; put over hand like a glove and just pick it up, then turn inside out and put in trash bag. But sometimes I can't keep enuf bags handy! If using any tool, you'd have to be washing it every time. Better ideas?<p>----------<br>Jim<br>South Bend, IN

lawrence stone
01-26-2000, 06:44 PM
Try running a power rake over it and then<br>mulch it right into the soil:)

curlawngreen
01-26-2000, 07:45 PM
Natural fertilizer

gene gls
01-26-2000, 07:53 PM
I hate doing yards with dog piles.My best residental got a Golden Lab last year and the pup has ruined the yard.I haven't decided yet how I am going to handle the subject.I am hopeing they get tired of the mess and handle the problem on their own.

geogunn
01-26-2000, 08:43 PM
my first response to the post is to make a joke. and it is kinda funny but it is a problem we've all hit (!) from time to time. seriously folks, I'd suggest if you see the problem ahead of time, like when you give the bid, discuss it. just say you don't do &quot;dog lots&quot; with out charging extra. then it becomes a negotiation of what the imposition is worth.<p>if it's not their dog, then you may be stuck doing the best you can with the problem. personally, I don't pick up anything. I do, however, try to miss it with the tires and my shoes. good luck!<p>GEO

MWHC
01-27-2000, 11:36 AM
I thought about starting this discussion a long time ago. I have about 3 residential yards where the owner's have a hard time keeping the yard clean. I am not talking about a few piles, I am talking about a proverbial mine field. Sometimes I think they back a horse into the yard.<p>What I have done in the past is to leave a letter in the door asking them to have the yard clean on the day we mow. This seems to work for a week or two then, they fall back into the lazy mode. I have been kicking around this program and was wondering what people think.<p>Step 1. Leave nice note asking for yard to be clean. If this works, leave it alone. If it fails goto step 2.<p>Step 2. Call residence and tell them there is a problem. See if this solves the problem. If step 2 fails goto step 3.<p>Step 3. Call customer asking customer to pre-pay for each month's mowing. When I arrive on site I look to see if the yard is clean. If it is clean I mow it. If not I leave without mowing debiting their account for the mowing. This would be explained in the 2nd call.<p>What I think will happen is the customer will drop the service, Which will solve the problem. I wonder if these people ever go to work and find dog sh*t all over the floor. Just wonder how they would handle it.

accuratelawn
01-27-2000, 01:10 PM
Believe it or not there was a person last season advertising a yard cleaning service for those with pets. They quoted wekly service for as little as $5.00/.<p>HAS ANYONE HERE HIT A PILE WITH THE TRIMMER?<br>THANK GOD FOR GLASSES!

pete
01-27-2000, 01:19 PM
ive been mowing one of my customers that has five show dogs for 7 years. Her back yard (35x50), is full of the stuff. she is usually very good about scooping before we come but there is always some. we go in the morning so that what ever we do run over ( you always get some) we get out of the mowers by the end of the day. It also helps that we charge top dollar for this yard. I have also aranged that she leave her pooper scooper out side so that we can get any big piles.

dylan
01-27-2000, 02:31 PM
My first method may not have not been the nicest way of getting a solution to the problem but most of my clients became much more diligent about picking up after their dogs after I started hitting the piles with the blades and leaving a fine mist over everything. Now, when ever they hear me coming they run out and clean up. No problem.<br>If only I could talk them into removing the 30,000 lawn fixtures, concrete nomes and pink flamingos. It's a retirement park and you can just imagine the amount of &quot;interesting&quot; things on the lawns.

AB Lawn Care
01-27-2000, 03:24 PM
I was reading this subject and i got a good laugh from accuratelawn's reply,and yes that has happened to me as well!!!But i think i can beat that.No it does not have to do with dog piles but have you ever sucked a week old dead squirel through your walker while your cutting?Let just say those squirels are not filled with flowers.Oh well i guess it could have been a skunk!!!!<p>from:adam<p>AB Lawn Care<p>PS.i would like to hear if anyone can beat that.<br>

Cannonturf
01-27-2000, 06:15 PM
Well if you pick up the piles and put them on there steps. Maybe be they will relize we dont like to step in it as much as they dont.<br>I wouldnt say to do this but is sure would be fun!

NewellMowingCo
01-27-2000, 08:43 PM
I once mowed over a dead bird hoping to pick it up with the mower. Instead, I just sliced the bird in half. I almost puked when I looked down and saw hundreds of magots crawling out of the carcass.<br>Justin

GroundKprs
01-27-2000, 09:39 PM
Hey Cannon, your idea is not too good for a customer, unless you want to get rid of them. But I once had a problem with a neighbors dog. Asked them for couple weeks to confine dog or come next door and clean up. Last time I asked they were going out and cussed me out. Got me so hot I carried three shovelsful to their front porch. Never had another pile in my lawn again.<p>Jim

ashlandscaping
01-28-2000, 12:57 PM
Had this problem on a lot of the rently properties we take care of. SO on our contracts I have a BOLD area talking about dog waste. Plus advise of services that pick up dog waste. I use one service at my house and we put their name and # down so they have a easy person to call. But what it says in gernal is if we come and see heavy dog waste that we will mow and then charge them more money for the mowing and then more for the cleaning of the machines. Plus if they dont have a water hose for us to use then they will be charged for time to return to yard and clean machines off. We had only one customer that we had to charge. Most times if the problem starts we will send them a copy of the contract and high lite that section and say please I dont want to but its gettting out of hand and they will clean up the mess. The one guy which was the landlord of the property was charged $ 150.00 for one time they have no outside water hose. So the guys had to go back to the shop and wash offf the mowwers and then wash out the trailers and trucks. I called the guy that same day meet him at the site showed him and he freaked on the teant about it. Well lets say he paid it then the ten hired the doggy maid after that. What it cost him for out down time they could of paid for half the summer of the doggy maid. It costs me for my yard before I started to promote this company $ 30.00 a month. Well worth every penny I hate Dog Sh--.