PDA

View Full Version : Exmark/Kawasaki 23 HP carb solenoid ?

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Sooo, exactly what does this thing do, other than make my mower run poorly ? Every now and then it will begin to sputter, spew black smoke, die, and otherwise act unlike a 200 hour engine. It's on a 2007 Turf Tracer and this has happened since new. Can this thing be bypassed/removed ? I pulled the connector and shorted it with a paper clip, but it blew a fuse and I put it back how it was. Is this a common problem ? It's a good engine other than this...:dizzy::hammerhead:

Bill Kapaun
04-30-2008, 12:34 PM
All it does is shut off the fuel to the Main Jet in the Carb when the engine is turned off. It prevents after fire, commonly called back fire.
It would have nothing to do with black smoke, which is a rich condition.

TOOMUCHWALKING
04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
O,K, but for the sake of argument, how do I disable it ?

kayeproperties
04-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a 25 Kohler and it has that solenoid and what I did was unscrew it and then with my hand held grinder I cut off the rod that sticks out effectively removing it. I also leave the wire going to it unplugged. I have heard that a standard plumbing plug of the same size will fit and do the same thing. As for the sputtering check all the safetys as they might be going bad. I by-passed all of those over the years also. I would also check your wires to your coils as a bad connection or a weak connection can cause the same results, Good luck