PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Success in door to door

Rayholio
04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
I've got 2 guys doing door to door.. have been for over a month.. They're closing about 3 sales a week (combined) on site.. The door hangers etc are actually generating more leads than them...

I knocked on doors with them the 1st day, and I closed 2 out of every 3 people I talked to.... no problem.

I know that I'm generally more knowledgable, and a better sales person.. but this is ridiculus..

I spent a full day doing book training, half a day door to door in the job training, and another 2 full days of letting them come with me to close jobs to see how I interact with customers..

I guess my question is if there's any method to get generally ignorant people to sell reliably? a system? maybe a sales approach? We've tried offering promotion 1st... then free lawn analysis.. and now we're going to try to just sell them on one problem.. "we can kill those weeds for $52.00..."

We're also taking block lead info as we go, so it's not a total waste, but I know there has to be a way to get these guys to be more productive... I'd like to see 3 sales a day out of each of them, and don't see any reason why that isn't attainable..

any help?

kbrashears
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Incentive. True incentive.

(Commission)

Rayholio
04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
They're being paid $8 an hour plus commission which is $1 per lead sent to me, $3 per 10k lawn and an additional $1 per each 5k thereafter.. that's just on the base package.. I've also set up monthly sales goals for a $100 bonus per person...

kbrashears
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
They're being paid $8 an hour plus commission which is $1 per lead sent to me, $3 per 10k lawn and an additional $1 per each 5k thereafter.. that's just on the base package.. I've also set up monthly sales goals for a $100 bonus per person...

Quit paying them by the hour and pay them a commission off of the yard total amount for the year.

Rayholio
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM
honestly, I would pay strait commission if I was just having them do sales.. but block leads require a lot of paperwork, and I want to give them a reason to do the job right.. I can't have my block leads all screwed up.

Ric
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Ray

Truegreen does this all the time. Seems like a costly method IMHO. I have had great success Clover leafing my customers neighbors.

TLClandscaping
04-30-2008, 01:29 PM
FIRED!!!!

As a PAST Trugreen Salesman, I closed a min. of 5 a day! I was Marketing MGR before I quit, if I had 2 guys selling 3 a week, they would be gone. 2 a day min. for your sales team. Those guys couldnt close a door! Make them a script and make them study it, tell them to LISTEN to the client too, see what they are in need of and catch it, last thing, DONT ASK FOR BUSINESS, TELL THEM.

Rayholio
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
What method(s) were you using to close those sales? high pressure?

Turfdoctor1
04-30-2008, 07:07 PM
FIRED!!!!

As a PAST Trugreen Salesman, I closed a min. of 5 a day! I was Marketing MGR before I quit, if I had 2 guys selling 3 a week, they would be gone. 2 a day min. for your sales team. Those guys couldnt close a door! Make them a script and make them study it, tell them to LISTEN to the client too, see what they are in need of and catch it, last thing, DONT ASK FOR BUSINESS, TELL THEM.

I agree!

Here is the problem I see. You hired these guys at the wrong time of the year. In our area, if you don't have your customer base locked in for the year by this point, you can forget it. I still get some calls, but my advertising is worthless at this point in the season.

Give them a try again next year, but they are a complete waste of your resources right now.

Rayholio
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I actually hird guys back in febuary.. they got trained, then didn't work 2 weeks due to sub-freezing temps... one didn't come back, and the other lasted about 2 more weeks before quitting.. then I hired two more guys after a week or two of down time and one of them quit, and I hired a replacement...

I guess long story short, I've been trying to market for at least 2 months, and the weather has been a big problem.. people are still not 100% in the 'spring mood' here...

are you suggesting fall marketing with the 'locked in for a year" thing?

honestly, I more interested in techniques that critiques...

enviouslawns
04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Ya i worked at a large fert company in sales with 7 people in the room and a manager and the goals were anywhere from 50,000 to 80,000 a week in new sales.

RigglePLC
04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Try minimum wage and a bigger commission. Try to find experienced people. Or summer job students when they become available. Afternoons and Saturdays when in school. Don't overlook women who want to work only when kids are in school. Consider retail sales associates who got laid off. Consider better sales training. Sales training tapes and DVD's.

Also as incentive, you can pay for their gas or give them car expenses or milage, (after they make their first sale for the day.) The advantage here is that you are covering expenses--not wages--so not taxable. Give them a laptop--they can keep it if they work at least 6 months, (if they make their sales goals.)

Suggest (but do not actually promise) that they will in the future, probably be hired full time as Branch Manager, sales manager or technician, with a cool new truck, big wages, and generous benefits. (For the top salesman.)

kbrashears
04-30-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree!

Here is the problem I see. You hired these guys at the wrong time of the year. In our area, if you don't have your customer base locked in for the year by this point, you can forget it. I still get some calls, but my advertising is worthless at this point in the season.

Give them a try again next year, but they are a complete waste of your resources right now.

Really? I grow the best each year during April and May when weeds are everywhere. My other growth comes from getting in good with the builders around here.

Frank Fescue
05-01-2008, 03:21 PM
you pay slave wages. its disgusting actually. i wouldnt be shocked if they were starting their own lawn care business andusing you as a sucker to help drum up some leads. i'd do it.

Ric
05-01-2008, 04:24 PM
you pay slave wages. its disgusting actually. i wouldnt be shocked if they were starting their own lawn care business andusing you as a sucker to help drum up some leads. i'd do it.

Frank

Your Getter Done wisdom never fails to amazes me.

Rayholio
05-01-2008, 05:48 PM
LOL you're out of touch Frank... AKA living in RI LOL

I pay better than anyone in this industry..

Frank Fescue
05-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Frank

Your Getter Done wisdom never fails to amazes me.

thanks

simple bottom line here, he's paying guys $8 an hour to do their own marketing. you give someone the kinda scratch normally given to 14 year old kids they're going to stab you right in the backside everytime. they'll throw you some garbage here and there to keep up the facade and take your potential business elswhere, either to themselves or a buddy who isnt giving them less money than a fryulator worker at Der Winershnitzel. thats life. $8 an hour? plus $1 for a sale? you get what you pay for.

Rayholio
05-01-2008, 06:00 PM
LOL It's $8.00 per hour + $3 per sale.. +$1 for each 5k sq ft after 10k.. the average sale is $4-$5, with a 30k lawn (not uncommon) paying $10.. that's before add on services like beds, and insecticide.. $1 if they can't close, and have to send it to me to try to close..

Bottom line, The average income per capita in joplin, mo is about $12,000 a year.. I'm giving a couple lucky kids an oppertunity to make more than double that..

Rhode Island is nothing like the rest of the world, and you appearantly can't read, or you wouldn't be thinking that I was paying $1 commission...

Ric
05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
thanks

simple bottom line here, he's paying guys $8 an hour to do their own marketing. you give someone the kinda scratch normally given to 14 year old kids they're going to stab you right in the backside everytime. they'll throw you some garbage here and there to keep up the facade and take your potential business elswhere, either to themselves or a buddy who isnt giving them less money than a fryulator worker at Der Winershnitzel. thats life. $8 an hour? plus $1 for a sale? you get what you pay for.

Frank

You Don't always get what you pay for... But you darn sure don't get more than you pay for.

Ray

IMHO your pay scale is self defending. The big reward you offer is for punching a time clock @ $ 8.00 an hour. Outside salesmen working on commission are not required to receive an hourly wage. Make the sale a big commission worth the effort of selling the job. No sale No money. Fact is you could pay the salesman the first treat cost and still come way ahead. A hold back for cancellations is not unheard of either.

RigglePLC
05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Agreed. Comission pay scale is too low. What is a new sale worth? It is not unusual to spend over 100 dollars in advertising to generate 5 sales leads. And then the salesman most likely closes just two. Cost to find a new customer $50. And you get $300 per year in business from that sale--hopefully for about 7 years ($2100).

Ric
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Frank

You Don't always get what you pay for... But you darn sure don't get more than you pay for.

Ray

IMHO your pay scale is self defeating. The big reward you offer is for punching a time clock @ $ 8.00 an hour. Outside salesmen working on commission are not required to receive an hourly wage. Make the sale a big commission worth the effort of selling the job. No sale No money. Fact is you could pay the salesman the first treat cost and still come way ahead. A hold back for cancellations is not unheard of either.

I bad and spell check doesn't catch those mistakes.

kbrashears
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Bottom line, The average income per capita in joplin, mo is about $12,000 a year..

No it's not.

Average Income
Median for all male full-time $28,569
Median for all female full-time $20,665

Household Income
Less than $10,000 13%
$10,000 to $14,999 10%
$15,000 to $24,999 18%
$25,000 to $34,999 16%
$35,000 to $49,999 18%
$50,000 to $74,999 16%
$75,000 to $99,999 4%
$100,000 to $149,999 3%
$150,000 to $199,999 1%
$200,000 or more 1%

Rayholio
05-02-2008, 12:20 AM
What year is that from? I have different data.. and granted, it has been a long time since I looked it up, but heres what I got..

Household income:

Less than $10,000: 2407
$10,000 to $14,999: 1869
$15,000 to $19,999: 1747
$20,000 to $24,999: 1747
$25,000 to $29,999: 1663
$30,000 to $34,999: 1436
$35,000 to $39,999: 1268
$40,000 to $44,999: 1230
$45,000 to $49,999: 875
$50,000 to $59,999: 1541
$60,000 to $74,999: 1529
$75,000 to $99,999: 824
$100,000 to $124,999: 519
$125,000 to $149,999: 121
$150,000 to $199,999: 183
$200,000 or more: 237

I would also bet that there are very few people in the age group that is doing this kind of work making any where near median.. which shouldn't be mistaken with average..

Rayholio
05-02-2008, 02:21 AM
We're getting WAY off topic.. I need some techniques to teach sales ppl

Frank Fescue
05-02-2008, 11:12 AM
scotts pays there sales losers $10 per sale across the board. and thats in ri, nj and anywhere. they can make more working there, running more leads with more leads to run and a greater operrtunity for money.

i still say if they're any good at what they're doing they're taking these accounts for themselves.

Rayholio
05-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey frank.. the previous TG employee up top said that he got 2-5 sales a day.. under your program, that's $50 tops... under mine the same employee would make $84.00 based on my average of 15k lawns.. So.. are you saying that's why TG, and scotts employees start their own business's? I don't see your point.. could you please try again?

Sales people probably should be commission only employees, and I've allready got ads in the paper for new sales people that will be commission only. but they will be strickly sales.. unlike my current guys who spend half of their day writing down every lawn size, price and notes on it.. they deserve an hourly wage in addition to their commission.

A sales job that is comission only is often looked upon by potential employees as a scam.. I usually turned those jobs down when I was in sales. and thus far, I've had no calls on my comission only ad..

again, My problem is that they're NOT any good at the sales portion of their job... and the question was how to make them better... I'm VERY willing to accept that it's probably my fault that they're not selling, mainly due to improper training..

I don't really need everyone telling me what I'm doing wrong... (a strength of most ppl on here) I need someone to tell me how to do it right.. which so far, it doesn't seem like anyone else knows that either..

ok.. new approch.... Does anyone have a d2d sales script that they'd share? or maybe their d2d training materials / program?

Frank Fescue
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
yeah, one problem they dont work on straight commission they get paid an hourly rate as well. and dependant on where they live that can vary from $11 minimum to $14 with zilch for experience. if they work a 10 hour day and dont sell squat they'll be making $110 -$140 for the day. with NO SELLING. again you're trying to get something for nearly nothing. its a horrible way to do business and im not the least bit surprised you're having issues with the lackluster results.

people here complain about companies like tgcl and scotts lowballing customers and charging less money for an inferior service. guess what you're doing friendo?

Rayholio
05-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm not your frindo, buddy-pal.

LOL

TLClandscaping
05-03-2008, 12:04 AM
my internet was down, sorry. Point is the two guys were not selling right or couldnt close or just wouldnt listen to what problem the customer had. Pay rate, I would pay say 300.00 per week & make them work half a day on every other Sat. then give them 2% on thier front end "when you treat the lawn", one time only but they must bring in at least 2 a day for you. That is 10 sales week per rep, not including Sat when people are at home. Just hope they sell it the right way.....

I disagree with not hiring now, best time to hire is now, get them pumped up for the fall seedings. God knows you will need help then! MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-03-2008, 02:39 AM
This will be a vague generalism that may do no good at all, but I have found that the key to effective selling is to truly believe in the product! You have to be excited, knowing that what you're offering will truly benefit those who are interested!

Do your employees feel that way? Or are they just out there b/c they need a couple bucks? You have to sell THEM before they can sell anyone else...