PDA

View Full Version : Need Input On Bed Edgers

grassguy123
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
i need input on mulch bed edging machines i heard brown made the best bed edgers.....i never used one...give me input...any problems....high maintanence?....what brand do you use....thanks

JShe8918
04-30-2008, 05:25 PM
i have done research and all i have ever gotten is you either love it or hate it.... I purchased one 2 days ago and it should be in tomorrow and hope to cut some serious footage.. I will let you know my input in a few daya

TJLANDS
04-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I use a Little Wonder Bed Shaper. It probably does 10 miles of edging a year.
My machine is four years old and still runs like new.
You could search my posts for pics of the machine and the work it does.

jaybird24
04-30-2008, 07:25 PM
EZ trench bedscaper here. We love it, weve used browns before too. Browns are better in rocky, hard soil, but not as maneuverable as the EZ. We just picked up a new one last week and they now have 4 wheels which helps with hillside stability too. No matter what one you get it is money well spent.

syzer
05-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Dont get a bed bug, within two commercial properties, we have been through 3 wheels and the tabs area breaking at the welds on the shield, one of which snapped of completely. Great machine if they put just a bit more into it, it would be fantastic!

Trenchblade
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
i need input on mulch bed edging machines i heard brown made the best bed edgers.....i never used one...give me input...any problems....high maintanence?....what brand do you use....thanks

you should check out the trenchblade and see if it something that you could use to ger your job done without having to spend a lot of money an a big new machine

nemow
05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Ease up Trenchblade, it seems your posts bring a thread to a screeching halt. If the guy is asking about a certain machine then your post does not help. Start giving out a free trial like Fluid Film, or at least do something about your bulk pricing. Buy 50 and save 60 cents per blade...come on.

Trenchblade
05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Ease up Trenchblade, it seems your posts bring a thread to a screeching halt. If the guy is asking about a certain machine then your post does not help. Start giving out a free trial like Fluid Film, or at least do something about your bulk pricing. Buy 50 and save 60 cents per blade...come on.
What do you think would be a fair price? Have you had a chance to try one out yet?

merrimacmill
05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I agree. You should do a free sample like fluid film. Its not like one blade is all someone needs. If it doesn't work for them, odds are it will be worn out by time they determine that. I heard about fluid film and was a bit leary, then I got a free sample and a week later I ordered two 5 gallon drums of it at a cost of over $260. If it wasn't for that free sample, I would have never bought any of it.

I just bought a ten pack. But another suggestion, you REALLY need to get those redmax blades out. Whats the update on those trench blade??? All my stuff is redmax, and I bought the trench blade anyways, because I really needed it for a big job, and I just "made it fit" my edger. But I would rather have one that really does fit the edger.

nemow
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
What do you think would be a fair price? Have you had a chance to try one out yet?

I can buy the regular blades for $3 each. (you should open a thread for this instead of hijacking this one) I was thinking of taking a couple to the shop and bending them to make myself a trenchblade. If you gave out a free sample and stand by your product people will buy them. It is a product that last one maybe two jobs. If its good you will sell a lot of them. Goodluck

Lynden-Jeff
05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Take a look here for my brown http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=228803.

Cheers
Jeff

Trenchblade
05-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I agree. You should do a free sample. Its not like one blade is all someone needs. If it doesn't work for them, odds are it will be worn out by time they determine that. I just bought a ten pack. But another suggestion, you REALLY need to get those redmax blades out. Whats the update on those trench blade??? All my stuff is redmax, and I bought the trench blade anyways, because I really needed it for a big job, and I just "made it fit" my edger. But I would rather have one that really does fit the edger.

We are having problems with the new blades. We tried to make a blade with a smaller flail to fit both the Stihl and Redmax. The problem is that the Redmax has even smaller clearance that the tthil does, so the curved shaft redmax blade is such a small flail that it is almost totaly ineffective. The smaller blade for the Stihll works pretty good but not as good as the normal Trenchblade. We are talking to a few edger manufactures at the moment about an edger head that is made for the Trenchblade that will make it work better that it does now. we are still testing then for the effectiveness. I have about 100 of them on my desk, looking at them every morning trying to if we should put them out. How did it work after you "made it fit your edger"? was the trench wide enough for what you were using it for? As for the free sample, I would love to give out free samples to everyone on lawnsite. There are a few limitations that I am working with. 1. it has taken every bit of money that I didn't have to get a patent, get blades manufactured, and pay for advertising and marketing. I am not making a dime from Trenchblade. Every bit of money goes back into the business. 2. Because I am not making any money and I am not a big company with lots of capital I have to have a job. I have very demanding day job (5:30am-5:30pm) as an operations manager for a big landscape company in Atlanta. (www.lmgatlanta.com). My boss is very understanding and lets me handle some of my Trenchblade business at our office during the day as long as I still get my operations manager duties done to his liking (thanks Kyle!) I single handedly handle Trenchblade sales, marketing, shipping, customer service, and I oversee the manufacturing runs as they are being made, all in what little spare time I have. I would really like to be spending that time with my wife and my 3 y.o. daughter, but I know that I need to create a market for the Trenchblade and it will pay off in the long run. I dont mean to be pushy or kill a thread by telling everyone who has a ? about bed edging to check out trenchblade, but I spend a lot of money on that little flashing button to the right and it does not generate a lot of traffic to my site unless i get on here and kinda stir up the pudding a little. I haven posted anything in about a week and my web traffic has gone way down. I am not trying to be pushy or kill a thread, just trying to get the traffic up and let people know about the Trenchblade. So far about 130 people from lawnsite have ordered Trenchblades and you guys are the ones that are making it possible to keep it going. As things start going better I do intend on doing some lawnsite specials for sure. Right now I am just trying my best to get my product out without going way too deep into debt. From the bottom of my heart I appreciate you buying a 10 pack to try it out. Send me an email (trenchblade@gmail.com) and ill send you a smaller flailed blade to let me know what you think.

Trenchblade
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I can buy the regular blades for $3 each. (you should open a thread for this instead of hijacking this one) I was thinking of taking a couple to the shop and bending them to make myself a trenchblade. If you gave out a free sample and stand by your product people will buy them. It is a product that last one maybe two jobs. If its good you will sell a lot of them. Goodluck

Be careful bending them yourself. If the bends do not match exactly it will act like an airplane propeller and make your edger take off. I had that problem when i first started with the idea about 3 years ago. I was making them in my garage to test out and almost gave up because it was not even and caused a lot of vibrating. A good friend of mine owns an a multi million dollar aerospace fabrications shop that builds parts for military aircraft. I could not get it to work right until he made some for me on a computer controlled brake form (accuripress). Now they make them for me and we have no problems (thanks Adam and Brad).

nemow
05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
So they work fine on the shindaiwa w231 multi tool edger? Ill buy a bunch from you. I'd rather help the little guy for a couple extra bucks.

Trenchblade
05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
So they work fine on the shindaiwa w231 multi tool edger? Ill buy a bunch from you. I'd rather help the little guy for a couple extra bucks.

yes they do work great on a Shindaiwa, the thanks for the support

C&K
05-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Have you partnered up with any manufacturers to ensure that your product would not void any factory warranty?

Under normal use the trimmers would not be put under as much stress. Kinda like people taking their shields off and extending their trimmer line can void the warranty on the trimmers.

Back to the thread topic:

I have only used the Brown bed edger and it seem to be bullet proof.

Trenchblade
05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Thats one of the things we are talking about too. It is looking like there will be no problems with that.

larryinalabama
05-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I have a Brown bed edger and a trench blade, If you can afford the Brown I say get it, it is a versitle machine with all the different rotors you can get. Definately try the trench blade even if you get the brown. For less than 10 bucks you can try it, it is great for going around large trees without damaging the roots, the brown will go right through the roots and may kill the tree.

MR TRENCH BLADE-I think your prices are fine and I wouldnt give any blades away, for 10 bucks its worth a try. I plan on ordering 10 more when my CC payment clears, wish I could buy more but Im a solo part timer