PDA

View Full Version : Small Engine Warehouse

Skyking
04-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Someone had a post on here about a bad expernce with small engine warhouse, they gave a web site for another place to get engines. anyone know what that site was??

Restrorob
04-30-2008, 11:55 PM
There is a member on here that took a good one from SEW, That's why you won't see me post their link anymore.

I believe the place you are speaking of is this one; http://www.smallenginedistributors.net/

Here is another I had saved; http://acengines.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=index

Cya

Skyking
04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
That is it , Thanks Rob

LawnTamer
05-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Avoid small engine warehouse like a plague. I have had great luck with these guyshttp://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/catalog/briggs/

New Bern Bear
05-01-2008, 09:43 AM
We have used SEW for years. We have never had a problem. I will say that you need to be sure which engine model you order and follow their return guidlines. Not a bad company, just tight and strict. Make sure you order the right engine and all is well.

John

LawnTamer
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
We have used SEW for years. We have never had a problem. I will say that you need to be sure which engine model you order and follow their return guidlines. Not a bad company, just tight and strict. Make sure you order the right engine and all is well.

John

If you do a search for them here, you will find that many here have ordered new engines and received old, (like 20 yrs old) or used motors. I ordered a "new" Kohler and received a used broken one that was nearly 20yrs old. It took taking the motor to a certified Kohler dealer to confirm it's age and that it was broken, and getting the dept of consumer affairs involved to get my money back.

topsites
05-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I've only ordered two engines from SEW but both without a hitch.

dutch1
05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
SEW sells factory overruns, take offs, out of production engines and engines from OPE manufacturers who end up not producing the the equipment equal to the number of engines they have ordered from the engine manufacturer. I would strongly suggest you thoroughly research the engine you intend to purchase. Make sure there is a shortblock, replacement engine and individual parts available. Like Rob, I cannot and will not recommend them as a source.

mowerman87
05-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Hello all,
I am not new to lawnsite but I just recently registered. I have a rather specific question regarding Small Engine Warehouse and the 5.5 hp toro engine they are peddling. I just ordered the 6 hp Kawasaki from there and it had a 7/8" crank which was foolish on my part because it doesnt fit the commercial deck/pulley. Well, with that crisis solved I thought I would purchase the 5.5 toro for $165.00!!! It claims to have a "tapered and threaded" crank. It looks EXACTLY like the toro/honda 21" I have right now. Is this going to fit with a standard toro/exmark deck and hardware? Can anyone shed some light on this stuff? By the way, SEW said the engine is made for a 'BBC'. What the hell is that?

Bill Kapaun
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
BBC = Blade Brake Clutch.

kayeproperties
05-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I was considering ordering a replacement engine from these people but I didnt because of the advice or comments I have read here from the experienced pros who write in and help us all. I am very thankful for the people like Rob and others who do repairs for a living and really know their **** and are willing to share their vast knowledge and tricks of the trade that they have learned from experience!
Thanks for all your help guys!!

OBRYANMAINT
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
i have ordered two engines from them and was very happy with both...came exactly as described

mowerman87
05-08-2008, 05:01 PM
actually I called up SEW and asked what "BBC" was and they said it meant big block. What that means I still do not know. But I decided to leave it at that because the gentleman working the customer service desk didnt seem to feel much like talking. One way or another I'm going to get out paying full price for 21" ers.

GravelyNut
05-08-2008, 05:47 PM
actually I called up SEW and asked what "BBC" was and they said it meant big block. What that means I still do not know. But I decided to leave it at that because the gentleman working the customer service desk didnt seem to feel much like talking. One way or another I'm going to get out paying full price for 21" ers.

:laugh: A big block? :hammerhead: No 5.5 HP modern engine would make it as a big block. For big blocks, think in the 25HP or higher range. 750cc to 1L in size.

LawnTamer
05-09-2008, 01:20 AM
BBC stands for blade brake clutch. It stops the blade and allows the motor to keep running.

mowerman87
05-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I thought "big block" sounded absurd. Hell, if he didnt know the answer he could have just said that or atlease "British Broadcast Corporation" or something. This is the page where I read it: http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=GXV160-T1AH&desc=Honda+Engine+5+5hp+Honda+Tapered+and+Threaded+shaft+for+Toro+Recoil+Start+Muffler+for+Toro+BBC+ mowers
It also seemed odd to classify a mower by the criteria of whether it has a blade brake clutch. mowermankevin disables those on all of my 21's anyway.

GravelyNut
05-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I thought "big block" sounded absurd. Hell, if he didnt know the answer he could have just said that or atlease "British Broadcast Corporation" or something. This is the page where I read it: http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=GXV160-T1AH&desc=Honda+Engine+5+5hp+Honda+Tapered+and+Threaded+shaft+for+Toro+Recoil+Start+Muffler+for+Toro+BBC+ mowers
It also seemed odd to classify a mower by the criteria of whether it has a blade brake clutch. mowermankevin disables those on all of my 21's anyway.

This is what a big block mower engine looks like. :D

Phil G
07-20-2008, 03:15 AM
wrong section posting

Phil G
07-20-2008, 03:27 AM

Now, call me old fashioned,but that crankshaft is a 'stepped' crank not 'tapered' as they describe.

Best thing to do is remove your old engine and take it's measurements for comparison. Check it and then go back and recheck it with Kevin.
We engine guys know where it's at :waving:

GravelyNut
07-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Now, call me old fashioned,but that crankshaft is a 'stepped' crank not 'tapered' as they describe.

Best thing to do is remove your old engine and take it's measurements for comparison. Check it and then go back and recheck it with Kevin.
We engine guys know where it's at :waving:

I'd just call that crank weird. Combination of stepped but with tapers between steps. Normally steps have squared ends.