PDA

View Full Version : Engine won't start no matter what I do

fabriker
05-01-2008, 12:38 AM
I have a Murray 42" mower with a 14.5 HP Briggs and Stratton OHV model number 287707 engine. I cannot get it to start. I have replaced the battery (300 amp cranking power), replaced the selinoid, changed the oil, drained and replaced with new gas, new fuel filter, adjusted the valves, cleaned the carb, changed and gapped the spark plug and it still will not start. The crank starts to turn and then stops. Help! What do I do?

topsites
05-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Might be the starter...

LarryF
05-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Might be the starter...

or simply a loose cable. You said you replaced the starter solenoid, so I presume the hot leads are all tight. How about the ground wire?

randy448
05-01-2008, 09:17 AM
did you set valve lash with piston .250" past top dead center? must be set correct or will not turn past compression and will burn up starter eventually.

New Bern Bear
05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I have one of these engines on a '97 MTD. Good engine.

- Remove the spark plug and check to see if you have spark.
- If not, Bad coil or bad plug wire or plug boot. - replace as needed.

If you have spark,
- try putting a bit of gas in the carb. and crank
If the engine starts ....

- Plugged fuel filter - replace
- dirt in carb. - Clean

This is just a quick and easy way to start to ID the problem.
I'm sure there are more experienced people that will assist you.

John

LarryF
05-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I have one of these engines on a '97 MTD. Good engine.

- Remove the spark plug and check to see if you have spark.
- If not, Bad coil or bad plug wire or plug boot. - replace as needed.

If you have spark,
- try putting a bit of gas in the carb. and crank
If the engine starts ....

- Plugged fuel filter - replace
- dirt in carb. - Clean

This is just a quick and easy way to start to ID the problem.
I'm sure there are more experienced people that will assist you.

John

All good advice, John, but he said it won't even crank. Rather he said starts to crank and then stops turning over. So that doesn't really sound like an ignition or fuel problem.

Bill Kapaun
05-01-2008, 07:16 PM
When you adjusted the valves, did you have the piston 1/4" past TDC?

fabriker
05-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will double check all wires and connections. Yes, I did adjust the valves at 1/4" past TDC, but will do it again. I talked to a local repair shop and told them all this. He said that it sounds like it wont break past compression or push past compression. He suggested that there might be a bad spring on the piston or crank??

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Andy

Bill Kapaun
05-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Remove the spark plug, ground the plug wire and then crank the engine.
It sounds like the engine might be hydro locked. If so, the piston will push out a bunch of gasoline through the plug hole. You DON'T want a spark, so that's why you want to ground the plug wire.

fabriker
05-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Ok, what is hydro locked? That happened when I first adjusted the valves. Fortunately I did not have a battery connected.

Bill Kapaun
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Hydro locked means the cylinder is full of liquid (gas). Liquid does not compress, thus the piston can't move.
Usually it's caused by the carb needle/seat leaking. Gasoline keeps running into the carb, then the cylinder and into the sump.

fabriker
05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, so what is the fix?

Bill Kapaun
05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
"Usually it's caused by the carb needle/seat leaking."

Maybe clean out the piece of crud that's causing the needle/seat to leak?

fabriker
05-02-2008, 07:01 PM
thanks, sorry for the stupid questions. Will give it a go.

fabriker
05-03-2008, 05:37 PM
I have removed the carb needle and cleaned it out. It still will not start. How do I get all that extra gas out of the cylinder?

StevieZ
05-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Remove the spark plug, Ground the lead so you do not cause a spark, turn the engine over to flush out the excess fuel. GROUND THE LEAD or you will have a flame thrower, Been there done that. Bought a new mower.

fabriker
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Ok, I've about had it with this engine. I have blown out the gas, cleaned the carb, checked the plug for spark, and everything mentioned before. Still wont start. I think that there probably isnt anything wrong with this mower that a good sledge hammer wont fix!

fabriker
05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
Finally, problem solved. Neighbor helped me figure it out. Replaced the starter because it just wasn't turning over very fast - with spark plug removed. Then re adjusted the valves. It is a lot trickier than it looks. Seems I wasn't getting the rockers square to the head and they adjustment kept slipping. Now its running well, just have to adjust the idle a little. Thanks for everyone's input.