PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Electric Spreader

Cooter
05-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Is anybody running the Lesco truckster electric spreader? I am considering one for larger areas. What are you guys running these on? Got any pics? I am debating how and on what I would mount this on. It sure would save allot of walking on the acre plus properties though.

Ric
05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Is anybody running the Lesco truckster electric spreader? I am considering one for larger areas. What are you guys running these on? Got any pics? I am debating how and on what I would mount this on. It sure would save allot of walking on the acre plus properties though.

Cooter

I have gone through a few Trucksters mounted on a Walker ZTR and have had good application success with them. They wear out or rust away because of being made from mild steel. The Motors wear out too quick and cost almost as much as the whole spreader. Get the third hole remote and right hand deflector to make life easier.

Next Spreader I buy will be the Spyker electric model for my Walker, I have heard a lot of good about them at a similar price. I am not going to spend the money for a ride on spreader sprayer as long as I have a good ZTR.

Marcos
05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
The electric motors that are on the Lesco Truckster are from RAE Corporation.

And after lots of calling around and researching a few years ago when I had a LOT of issues with this motor...:cry:
I discovered from a product manager and representative of RAE that these motors were NOT designed for the types of water-exposed potential corrosive (outdoor) uses that Lesco applied to them! :hammerhead:

So I called the then Equipment Manager at Lesco, who's name ( I still have it in my notes) was Pete Thompson... and I really laid into him about it ! :cool2:

And y'know what ?!?
He didn't deny a word of what the RAE rep had said...and I ended up getting ALL my $$$ back for the two replacement motors I had to buy!!

That truckster was then promptly SOLD on e-bay within a month !

Ric
05-01-2008, 02:37 PM
The electric motors that are on the Lesco Truckster are from RAE Corporation.

And after lots of calling around and researching a few years ago when I had a LOT of issues with this motor...:cry:
I discovered from a product manager and representative of RAE that these motors were NOT designed for the types of water-exposed potential corrosive (outdoor) uses that Lesco applied to them! :hammerhead:

So I called the then Equipment Manager at Lesco, who's name ( I still have it in my notes) was Pete Thompson... and I really laid into him about it ! :cool2:

And y'know what ?!?
He didn't deny a word of what the RAE rep had said...and I ended up getting ALL my $$$ back for the two replacement motors I had to buy!!

That truckster was then promptly SOLD on e-bay within a month !

Marcos

I called RAE also trying to buy direct. But they said the motor was a special order from Lesco and no other distributors could handle it. So go figure, Lesco did it cheap and didn't specify a professional grade motor.

Marcos
05-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Marcos

I called RAE also trying to buy direct. But they said the motor was a special order from Lesco and no other distributors could handle it. So go figure, Lesco did it cheap and didn't specify a professional grade motor.

That's not the story I got.

I wasn't trying to "buy direct"...I was just trying to get satisfaction at the time that Lesco tech service couldn't provide !

I was told by the RAE rep (in 2003 or 2004) that the Lesco "truckster" motor was ORIGINALLY designed for an interior, dry low-speed machine trades applications, obviously pretty far away from much of anything that is remotely 'corrosive'.

Ever since hanging up the phone with Pete Thompson of Lesco 4 or 5 years ago...I suspect that Lesco's "special order" of these motors from RAE was a mis-application they knew about from the introduction of these spreaders !!
But, of course, Pete said he "wasn't involved in that decision":rolleyes:

Bcb27101
05-01-2008, 11:19 PM
The Spiker has a life time warranty on the spreader gears.

Cooter
05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I will look at the Spyker unit more and also the Earth Way. It seems they both have several electric models to choose from.

AustinLawnscape
05-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I just bought a Spyker electric spreader so I don't know squat about long time life of the spreader motor.

That said, I did a lot of research and had trouble finding anyone with bad words for Spyker spreaders. I also know that both PermaGreen and Z-Spray use or have used Spyker spreaders on their equipment. The Z-spray spreader motor is a hydraulic motor.

Be aware that Spyker charges a premium for their two electric spreaders but experience has shown me that "you get what you pay for."

I did a lot of shopping and found mine for about 1/2 price new, on ebay.

Good luck. - Ed

Cooter
05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal. Show some pics once you get it mounted.

mulchmonkey2000
08-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Has anyone found a different motor to replace the RAE motor on the lesco truckster? If so could you please direct me to a website to order one from. It just seems rediculous to keep buying motors that aren't going to last. Thanks in advance.

lawn king
08-23-2010, 04:54 PM
I used lesco truckster spreaders back in early eightys mounted on small garden tractors, i would get 2-3 seasons out of the motors. As ric stated, the frames rotted out fast, they however worked out well for me, i just out outgrew them.

mulchmonkey2000
08-24-2010, 05:26 AM
I've had mine for a few years now with no problems other than the p.o.s. motors. I'm just looking for an alternative motor that will last longer. Walking just doesn't cut it anymore.

FdLLawnMan
08-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Has anyone found a different motor to replace the RAE motor on the lesco truckster? If so could you please direct me to a website to order one from. It just seems rediculous to keep buying motors that aren't going to last. Thanks in advance.

I looked into this a couple of years ago and from what I found out it is a special motor made for the spreader. You are correct, that motor is a piece of crap. I forgot about it after getting my T3000 and now the spreader sits in a corner in the shed.