PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki Ignitor

Redneckn
05-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I have a friend with a little Deere walk behind mower. Has a Kawasaki engine on it.
here's the problem: No spark. I havent worked on a Kawa in a few years and when I did work on them I didnt work on them too often (if you get my drift). So the little engine has an ignitor on it. Is there a way to test that? If memory serves me correct, when you have no spark it can be the coil or the ignitor thing. Is that correct?

Is there a way to meter out the coil and/or the ignitor and make a determination that one is bad or not bad?

Thanks

Restrorob
05-01-2008, 09:31 PM
There are two different style igniters, Pick the one that looks like your's and let me know which it is and the engine model number for the coil test....

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Kawasaki/FC/KawiFCIgniterTest.jpg

Redneckn
05-01-2008, 09:46 PM
The engine model appears to be FC150v-a00. Ok, so it's a little bit generic, but the fc150v part is for sure right and proper.

Thanks for help.

Restrorob
05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
I need to know which igniter as well, Top or bottom ?

Redneckn
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I'll find out. We're at work doing this and the mower is at my co-workers house with his wife that doesnt really want to be out in the shed after dark trying to tell us this stuff...

I'll get back to you as soon as I know.

Thanks.

Redneckn
05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
we have the bottom type. meaning, the one you had on the bottom of the drawing.

we got 4.38kOhms. between the A and case.

The engine sticker says that it's a FC150va4969.

on the coil between the killwire terming and the plug boot we have 8.2kOhm
between the ground sparkplug boot we have 8.21kOhm
between the ground and the killwire tab we have 1.0Ohm.

any ideas?

Restrorob
05-04-2008, 06:05 PM
OK Red,

As you can see the igniter is testing out of spec, Now to remove all doubt did you disconnect the kill wire running from the igniter to the unit harness leaving the wire from igniter to coil connected and check for spark ?

The coil did check within specs so it should be just fine, Just some food for thought. I have read on other message boards that Deere is now selling a generic igniter. These igniters cause more problems than their worth, When you go for a new igniter take the old one to a Kawi dealer and get a OEM Kawi part.

Cya

mowermankevin
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Why do they out these @#%& things on there in the first place? The last ones I priced JD wanted $85 apeice, so I said "Thanks but no thanks",and found a scrap one for $10, why is it better than just a coil and sparkplug system?

Restrorob
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Why do they out these @#%& things on there in the first place?

Why do they put all the extra crap on todays cars ?

Trying to make them better I suppose but I don't see how this type ignition system is any better than the Ole coil and spark plug, Maybe just another way to make money on replacement parts ?

pugs
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Actually I dont mind this system because generally the part that fails is the igniter. And its easier to replace the igniter than the coil.

Only downside is Kawasaki igniters are expensive.

Try getting a Megafire or similar from Stens or Oregon for around 15-20 bucks.