PDA

View Full Version : Putting Green

Eden Lights
05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Anybody have any favorite methods for putting green lighting? No way to downlight from trees or building. I have seen the Augusta by Unique and I have a call into the greens installer about removing the existing cups and running a wire under the base. Any ideas?

NightScenes
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
I haven't actually used any of the putting green lights Eddie but I'm sure Joey could give some insight.

Lite4
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Putting greens are tough. You could always use a Unique Endeavor along with the Augustas. I think they stand about 48" tall.

Eden Lights
05-01-2008, 09:56 PM
This was my first thought? http://www.focusindustries.com/pdf/PGL-01_Cut_Sheet.pdf

Chris J
05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
That fixture would probably work well Eddie. I like the way it has both a shroud and a knuckle. You could angle it back just slightly to get better coverage across the putting green, yet still be unobtrusive to the eyes.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Ruud Lighting makes a very cool retractable, directional Bollard fixture...

During the day the fixture is in the ground and out of the way. Turn on the lighting system and the bollards extend up out of the ground 33". They have one that uses MR16 lamps on a pivoting, directional head.

Very cool for putting greens, and practise areas.

Regards.

poiuy qwerty
05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
We have a customer who we are installing a putting green & he is asking for the cup to be lit from underneath. Any Ideas? would a well light under the cup work?

Chris J
05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
We have a customer who we are installing a putting green & he is asking for the cup to be lit from underneath. Any Ideas? would a well light under the cup work?

Check out Uniques putting green light, "The Augusta". It is exactly what you are talking about.

NightScenes
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I have used some of the focus putting green lights before and they do work well.

Eden Lights
05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, we went with the focus unit for the design layout, I will try and get some pics. I really liked the idea of the undercup style lighting and some of the focus units together, but I could not get the client to let me take out the existing cups.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
And let me guess..... Hmmm $1100 retractable directional bollards were out of the question right?!?

Keep those in mind for 'next time'... they deliver some serious WOW factor with the clients.

The Lighting Geek
05-03-2008, 12:22 PM
James, I called Rudd yesterday because I think retractable bollards with be the bomb for a job I am doing for a golf pro. They don't make them anymore, they said they were VERY problematic.

extlights
05-03-2008, 02:11 PM
James, I called Rudd yesterday because I think retractable bollards with be the bomb for a job I am doing for a golf pro. They don't make them anymore, they said they were VERY problematic.

Yes, those were a huge headache. The concept was great and they looked good....It would have been nice if they just worked out the bugs instead of nixing them all together.

NightLightingFX
05-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I am not recomending this product it looks kind of cheezy, but if you are looking for a retractable light check it out. www.retractalight.com
~Ned

NightScenes
05-03-2008, 05:26 PM
I am not recomending this product it looks kind of cheezy, but if you are looking for a retractable light check it out. www.retractalight.com
~Ned

Don't you just love the page where it shows all of those lights in the turf instead of in those wonderful, protected flower beds???:laugh:

Chris J
05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
My first thought is of an irrigation sprinkler head, and how dirty those things are when they pop out of the ground. I agree the concept is innovative, but I wonder how these things actually look with dirt and grass hanging off of them when they pop up?

irrig8r
05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Looks like a Hunter I-20 head with a light on top, LOL.

irrig8r
05-03-2008, 09:57 PM
This was my first thought? http://www.focusindustries.com/pdf/PGL-01_Cut_Sheet.pdf

That's ugly.... like a recessed wall light on a stem.

Chris J
05-03-2008, 11:33 PM
That's ugly.... like a recessed wall light on a stem.

They do come in other colors, and it is for a putting green. There aren't a whole lot of choices here. What is your recommendation Einstein? :laugh:

Eden Lights
05-04-2008, 01:23 AM
And let me guess..... Hmmm $1100 retractable directional bollards were out of the question right?!?

Keep those in mind for 'next time'... they deliver some serious WOW factor with the clients.

The name Rudd was enough to scare me off.

JoeyD
05-05-2008, 12:08 PM
The Augusta doesnt work well on retrofits. It is a lot of work to lift a putting surface. The Augusta was designed for new installs. But we have had a tremendous amount of success lighting greens using the Augusta in combination with either the Endeavor path lights as Tim mentioned and with our Solaris path light which has a fully adjustable shroud. Much more appealing esteticlly than the Focus light IMO.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/SOLARIS.htm

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/CANTERBURY.htm

David Gretzmier
05-06-2008, 12:22 AM
we have a putting green we're lighting up in a few weeks, but smaller. it is probably only 16 foot across x 30 feet long, so 20" tall china hats were able to cover it with no glare in the eyes while putting at night.

Eden Lights
06-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Well I installed this job today, just got in. Well at first I didn't like it, but after putting for a little while it grew on me. Also we have the putting green seperated from landscape lighting allowing it to be off or dimmed for various other events or times. I tried everything on this green during a mock up and this is what we ended up using.

http://www.focusindustries.com/pdf/PGL-02_Cut_Sheet.pdf

I snaped a pic without the tripod on the way out, holding my breath so to speak.

Chris J
06-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice putting green Eddie. Looks like a real fast surface with all that marble! What are the little thingies sticking up beside the uplights? Misters for the putting surface? :waving:

Chris J
06-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Ahhhhhh! You must have edited just as I was typing! I saw some other picture first!

Chris J
06-11-2008, 11:55 PM
No sir. Don't like it one bit. I guess if the purpose is to see the green so you can putt, then it does one hell of a job. During the day, that would get on my nerves. I believe this is the one and only time I have ever criticized something from you, so don't take it personal.

Eden Lights
06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Like I said, I didn't like it either at first. It is for the task, not for looks. We did a extensive mock up and this was the only level of light that was acceptable to the client. After some negotiating we had the focus units done in Green and installed full controls for various scenes, Green can only be turned on at the putter stand per UPB and is not part of any timed events. Bring on the options with the criticism????? By the way, there is a public green way behind this house and I ran out of cards tonight while finishing up.

Eden Lights
06-12-2008, 12:14 AM
No sir. Don't like it one bit. I guess if the purpose is to see the green so you can putt, then it does one hell of a job. During the day, that would get on my nerves. I believe this is the one and only time I have ever criticized something from you, so don't take it personal.

"You learn nothing from someone that agrees with you"

Chris J
06-12-2008, 12:17 AM
I mean you no harm Eddie as I already knew what your intentions were for this application. Our suggestions were posted when you originally asked, but I had none that were "fantastic." I certainly know that you have to do what the customer wants, and I'm sure I couldn't have done it any different.

Chris J
06-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Jeez, you don't like criticism at all do you?

Eden Lights
06-12-2008, 12:23 AM
"You learn nothing from someone that agrees with you"

Chris this means "Thank you for the criticism, because that promotes learning on my end" I think you read it the wrong way?

Chris J
06-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Okey Dokie. You just have to learn to talk slower when you're talking to me. I am from the swamp you know. ;)

Lite4
06-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Hey Eddie,
Did you install the green too? I used to install those a few years ago, but havn't done one in a while.

NightLightingFX
10-03-2008, 01:09 AM
I am reviewing this thread because I have a Country Club that would like to light their putting green. Eddie, based on your picture it looks like the focus fixture does a good job lighting the putting green. However, do you think these fixtures will look aesthetically alright during the day for an expensive Country Club? I am going to keep the Focus putting green fixture in mind along with the Endeavor. Any new suggestions? I will probably meet with the Country Club sometime next week. Then I will have a better idea what will work.
~Ned

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Ned, I have lit an extensive practise green at a golf club. It is a tricky endeavour and might require that you build some custom fixtures based on the application's requirements. Give me a call if you want some more details.

An excerpt from a recommendation letter: "James achieved exactly the look and sensory experience that we envisioned. By
combining the use of invisible infrastructure and his ability to design depth-filled
nighttime views, we have a unique experience after dark. Not only do the clubhouse and
surrounding grounds look wonderful but our members can also have some fun on our
practice green after dark as it has been lit in a soft, unobtrusive and ethereal light. This is something I hadnít seen from James before and it is very impressive."

JoeyD
10-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Just some pics. Augustas dont work well on natural grass putting surfaces because they regularly re locate the cups to keep from over working portions of the putting surfaces. Endeavours work really for the surrounding area. We have had people put Stellars and Starburst on risers as well for a more directional spread effect.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/NatesGreen1.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/Az001RGB-1.jpg