PDA

View Full Version : Raised pond???

tiffany
12-11-2001, 11:24 AM
I need some major help on this one. A client wants a rectangular pond installed in a very formal garden. The dimensions are to be about 9' x 15'. The pond is to be approximately 1' in-ground, and 2.5' above ground. Now as for what I am thinking as a designer, I would like to build it with whatever is cheap (concrete blocks?) and sturdy, and then tile over it, or maybe do stackstone around it. I would also like a nice wide ledge so that people can sit on the edge comfortably and watch the fish. :rolleyes: Anyway, the pond should also have some plant shelves and some kind of pump to keep the water clean, aerated, and filtered. I was thinking of doing a plant bed on the two smaller sides to hide any thing like that I need. I was looking at the Aquascape skimmer thing for that. So as you all may be able to see, I am pretty ignorant about construction like this! Any help that y'all can give me would be great. Ideas, suggestions, questions, anything at all! Thanks everyone. (Also, I need to keep it as cheap as possible).

Stonehenge
12-11-2001, 01:09 PM
I'm not an expert on something like this, so take my input with a grain of salt....

Water is heavy. Very heavy. Heavier than soil. If you're going to build something 2 1/2 ft above ground, you'll need to do your homework to know what you need to do to hold back that kind of weight.

As for the idea of it being cheap, I guess cheap is relative. But relative to my customers, I think you can throw the idea of this thing being cheap out the window. What did they tell you their budget was for this?

Also, this may now qualify as a pool and not a pond. Which may put a great deal of restrictions on you as well, like fences around it to protect small children.....

tiffany
12-12-2001, 04:10 PM
yep, i have also thought of the laws on that, and the entire area is going to be fenced in, so there should be no problem there. As far as a budget, I don't know- they are looking at a lot of work, and so I am trying to keep everything relativly inexpensive in order to get more work from them. I am not too worried about labor cost on this one- mostly materials.

Stonehenge
12-12-2001, 05:11 PM
Well, I guess this is a bit of a side observation -

Low price and a lot of work, or

High price and a little work.

If it nets you the same profit, take less work. ;)

And while I realize all of this may be of little help to you, that's about all I can offer.

Anybody else want to chime in?

Aqua?

LiquidLand
12-16-2001, 12:34 AM
a fiberglass shell with 1x2 frame for above ground would last
a long time-probably set up with tile, pump and plants for
$5-600 wholesale-sounds like work, so get help!
good luck
S:cool: