PDA

View Full Version : How much rain before you stop??

LwnmwrMan22
05-01-2008, 11:28 PM
We're finally getting temps warm enough to get into spreading the pre-emergent.

Dimension 2EW calls for 1/2" of water to water in.

Tomorrow they're calling for an all day rain, 1/2-3/4" of rain. My buddy won't go spread.

I'm going to go spread.

Would you spread in the rain with material that needs to be watered in?

kbrashears
05-01-2008, 11:41 PM
We're finally getting temps warm enough to get into spreading the pre-emergent.

Dimension 2EW calls for 1/2" of water to water in.

Tomorrow they're calling for an all day rain, 1/2-3/4" of rain. My buddy won't go spread.

I'm going to go spread.

Would you spread in the rain with material that needs to be watered in?

Absolutely not.

tremor
05-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Absolutely spread. Lawn Care folks who are afraid of the rain are in the wrong business.

That half inch is the required minimum to set a decent barrier. Within reason, larger rain events are not a problem despite what some homeowners might think. YOU are the trained & licensed professional so YOU decide.

Of course you need to keep the hopper & impeller dry. Hopper covers & a roll of paper towels is NOT an option in the spring. If the rainfall is so heavy that moisture starts to affect your spread then a break is called for. Coffee shops, delis, etc are perfect places to catch up on voice mail while waiting for showers to pass. If the hopper gets too fouled then it's time to call it a day.

kbrashears
05-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Absolutely spread. Lawn Care folks who are afraid of the rain are in the wrong business.

That half inch is the required minimum to set a decent barrier. Within reason, larger rain events are not a problem despite what some homeowners might think. YOU are the trained & licensed professional so YOU decide.

Of course you need to keep the hopper & impeller dry. Hopper covers & a roll of paper towels is NOT an option in the spring. If the rainfall is so heavy that moisture starts to affect your spread then a break is called for. Coffee shops, delis, etc are perfect places to catch up on voice mail while waiting for showers to pass. If the hopper gets too fouled then it's time to call it a day.

If you are pushing, and it's not raining, spread.

If you are riding and it's rained a lot, absolutely not.

If you are riding, and it's just started raining, coffee time.

greendoctor
05-02-2008, 05:18 AM
I spray all of my applications. If I am doing one that I would otherwise be watering in, yes I go out in the rain and do it. The only time I do not is if a flash flood is forecast or if it is highly likely that it will rain enough that the water will not infiltrate down and instead cause runoff from the treated area. Dimension is one that I would spray in a nonflooding rain, especially if the lawn is not on an irrigation system. That product is wasted if it is not watered in well soon after application. Besides, where I am at, it can be over 90 every day if it is not raining. It is better for my health to stay cool and wet.

LwnmwrMan22
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
If you are pushing, and it's not raining, spread.

If you are riding and it's rained a lot, absolutely not.

If you are riding, and it's just started raining, coffee time.

K-

Why are you so dead set about spreading in the rain?

I will admit that a couple of years ago, I sprayed a small park right after a fairly heavy shower past. It was late summer, and the grass was dried off, but the ground below was still wet.

You could see where the ride-on's tires were, because I had lines of dandelions that were still there.

Turns out the spray landed on the leaves, but then when I drove over the plant, it more or less washed off the spray from the moisture on the ground.

Again, this is a broadleaf herbicide though, where you do not want it to get wet for +/- whatever hours your product calls for.

kbrashears
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
K-

Why are you so dead set about spreading in the rain?

I will admit that a couple of years ago, I sprayed a small park right after a fairly heavy shower past. It was late summer, and the grass was dried off, but the ground below was still wet.

You could see where the ride-on's tires were, because I had lines of dandelions that were still there.

Turns out the spray landed on the leaves, but then when I drove over the plant, it more or less washed off the spray from the moisture on the ground.

Again, this is a broadleaf herbicide though, where you do not want it to get wet for +/- whatever hours your product calls for.
Spreading=granular=wet, gunked up mess with poor distribution.

LwnmwrMan22
05-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Spreading=granular=wet, gunked up mess with poor distribution.

Yes, that's fairly obvious.

I personally run an enclosed trailer with the material and spreader inside.

If it's a downpour obviously it can't be done, but an all day slow rain, I personally don't see issues when you're doing product that needs the "instant" watering.

Stillwater
05-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes, that's fairly obvious.

I personally run an enclosed trailer with the material and spreader inside.

If it's a downpour obviously it can't be done, but an all day slow rain, I personally don't see issues when you're doing product that needs the "instant" watering.

what product cannot wait 24 hrs.? what requires "instant" watering in?

LwnmwrMan22
05-02-2008, 12:00 PM
what product cannot wait 24 hrs.? what requires "instant" watering in?

I didn't literally mean "instant", that's why it's in quotes.

I meant product that needs water, unlike a broadleaf or non-selective, where you do not want water.

I'll change that to "why not, when the product requires 1/2" of water to properly be effective".

Frank Fescue
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
when its raining take advantage of the inevitable greenup and spread the cheapest product you can find that resembled fert. i usually apply sand and tell them the smaller micro particles are enhanced and charge them more. the green up coincides with the rain and the app. easy money with almost no cost to you. :usflag:

LwnmwrMan22
05-02-2008, 04:06 PM
when its raining take advantage of the inevitable greenup and spread the cheapest product you can find that resembled fert. i usually apply sand and tell them the smaller micro particles are enhanced and charge them more. the green up coincides with the rain and the app. easy money with almost no cost to you. :usflag:

Really. You mean there's something I can do with those tubes of sand I had in the truck for ballast for plowing?

Back on topic. It was just a heavy drizzle for the first 1/2 of today. Now we've got a soaking rainfall. Got a pallet down and called it a Friday. We're supposed to have a nice rain / snow mix tonight..... again.

lawnangel1
05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I hate spreading in the rain. You guys havent talked about a very importiant thing and that is customer perception. We can argue all day long about if a product will work effectively, but despite results many customers just dont want to see you on their lawns in the rain.(my customers anyway)

LwnmwrMan22
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I hate spreading in the rain. You guys havent talked about a very importiant thing and that is customer perception. We can argue all day long about if a product will work effectively, but despite results many customers just dont want to see you on their lawns in the rain.(my customers anyway)

Correct. It'll only work if you can educate a customer. What I mean is if the customer doesn't have / use an irrigation system, there's no rain in the forecast other than 1 days and you can't get it in before the rain, and then no rain in the 7 day forecast, do you not try to squeeze it in?? Skip the app alltogether?? Or apply and hope for the best with no water??

americanlawn
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Nice reply tremor. We do the same thing:usflag:. BTW we saw TruGreen spraying in the rain today (liquiid fert w/BWC:hammerhead:).