PDA

View Full Version : Leveling uneven lawn spots

05-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Whats the best way to level low spots in yards?

Say the yard is pretty nice, but has a couple spots that are maybe 3-5' diameter, and are 2-3" lower then the rest of the yard. Should I just put black dirt in these spots and let the grass below grow up? Maybe toss alittle seed in it to? Or do I have to dig up the grass below and then add black dirt and reseed?

Thanks guys!

Isobel
05-02-2008, 04:39 AM
i'm coming across this problem alot. What I do is fill in the low spots with compost, and reseed. make sure the compost is less than a 1/4" in depth over the areas that currently have grass.

05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
i'm coming across this problem alot. What I do is fill in the low spots with compost, and reseed. make sure the compost is less than a 1/4" in depth over the areas that currently have grass.

The whole area has grass, so do you mean to only add 1/4" at a time? Just slowly bringing it up?

Isobel
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
No. what i mean is take your low spots and fill them in.

If there are two low spots, and in between them a healthy tuft of grass, when you're filling the the low spots make sure the healthy grass isn't covered more than 1/4"--because depending on the type of grass covering the healthy spots with more than a 1/4" could be harmful.

05-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Ok sounds good. Thanks!