PDA

View Full Version : Wire ?

All Pro Lawn Care
05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm looking to install FX lights on my house. Please dont bite my head off but is there a difference in the wires I would buy at ewing and the ones at the box stores besides 30 bucks in savings per 100 feet. I'm looking at the 12 guage.

Thanks

lowvolumejeff
05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Gee, I'm not sure. Are they the same make, quality, and durability?

Do you buy plants at box stores that are of the same quality as a nursery?

Ever tried to get advice at a box store? How reliable is it? How service orieted are they.

In other words, if you were getting advice you trusted from the box store, would you need to ask your question here?

Hope that didn't sound too harsh, not meant to be.

Jeff

"I don't know much, but what I know is that I don't know much"

All Pro Lawn Care
05-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I will be buying from lowes since you can not back up your statements. Give me a website that compairs wires and i will do some research. And yes I have bought plants from lowes depending on price and how many I need. besides that find me a nursey that backs plants for a year. Some of the garden centers suck around houston and others are over priced and do not give discounts. And the first guy I talked to at ewing was not the best at customer service and the second was ok but not great.

ccfree
05-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey All Pro, which Ewing branch did you go into in Houston. I work for them in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area and can help you out.

Summit L & D
05-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Here's my experience....

I buy the bulk of my wire from Ewing (99.9 %). That said I was doing some lighting around our house and decided to use some of the "big box" wire that I had acquired. 12 gauge copper is 12 gauge copper. However, one thing I did notice was that the jacket on the "big box" wire was actually much thicker and thus the cable was less flexible. I know I'm spending more buying my wire from Ewing, but I know they'll have it and I like the product.

-Josiah

All Pro Lawn Care
05-02-2008, 11:20 PM
humble...

I have been looking at the prices on the web compaired to what they gave me and there is a 20 dollar difference (store being higher) for 100 feet of 12 guage. The prices on the lights are a few buck cheaper in the store. I sold all pro last year and the house alarm went off last night and freaked my wife out so she wants the lights put in very soon. I need to run one zone about 100 feet and to other 120 to 140. since i do not want a box at the front of my house. Total of 7 lights for the front yard. 4 on the house and 3 path. (maybe 2 more in the trees). I may add some to the back yard later after I get it landscaped. I'm leaning toward the 600 but the 300 should be fine.

Thanks

All Pro Lawn Care
05-02-2008, 11:22 PM
The alarm was nothing but the cell carrier changing from analog to digital at 345am in the morning. There were about 15 to 20 alarms going off assiocated with the one tower.

All Pro Lawn Care
05-02-2008, 11:24 PM
that is what i was looking for thanks summit

Chris J
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't criticize you for using the store bought wire, but you would definately be making a mistake by using their fixtures. If you install that junk, plan on re-installing it again in a year or so. If your looking for good prices on wire, call James Oneil at Cables Plus. Don't know what it will cost you for shipping, but they have super nice wire that is very flexible and easy to work with. The prices are also very reasonable.