PDA

View Full Version : Please Answer This Post

humble1
05-02-2008, 10:18 PM
IF YOU DO FERT DO YOU TAKE THE EXTRA TIME TO BLOW OFF THE DRIVEWAY?

I blow it off, i think the crushed prills looks like shite on the pavement, plus source of pollution the water takes it to the storm drain.

IndyChad
05-02-2008, 10:23 PM
This is not an option in Indiana, it is the LAW, which it should be.

Leaf Jockey
05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Every time. No exceptions.

(wi) Roots
05-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Yes, and it's not the law where I live!

hole in one lco
05-02-2008, 10:36 PM
well in ohio thats and illegal application and have you seen what iron does 2 concrete

Chilehead
05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Yes, which makes me special. Most LCOs I've seen (even the big guys everyone knows about) just apply it, leave the bill, and go. In Atlanta speed, not service, is what sells. Lowballing is the norm.

Runner
05-02-2008, 11:05 PM
We do...I don't know of a whole lot of other lawn care co.'s that do.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
05-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I always blow er down.....
That said, I have a weekly mow customer who has T.G. do her fert. Yellow prills all over the concrete.....

Luxury Landscaping
05-02-2008, 11:21 PM
We always clean it off, the big fertilizing companies leave more on the driveway than on the grass. Its really funny watching some of these guys they hire, they don t even spread the fertilizer evenly. After a few weeks the lawn has dark and light green stripes

Hissing Cobra
05-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Every time. No exceptions.

That's how I operated too when I was applying on a daily basis.

mngrassguy
05-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Always, I'm one of the few around here that does.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Nope. Use a chest spreader and don't have a mess to clean...

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
05-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I think it's very unprofessional to not blow it off. I've never seen a national co. around here that even carries a blower with them. I use it as a selling tool as something we do, that they don't. If we mowed lawns & didn't blow grass clipping off the driveway, nobody would put up with it!:dizzy:

AustinLawnscape
05-03-2008, 09:40 AM
We always blow before we go. It just doesn't look professional w/o the cleanup.

I wouldn't want it left all over my driveway & assume everyone else feels the same. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you " is a pretty good business model.- Ed

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-03-2008, 10:17 AM
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you " is a pretty good business model.- Ed

I can only give so many shirts off my back before I haven't any left. :)

Ric
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Humble

one of the extra I give my customer at no charge is fertilizer speckled stained driveways and side walks. Nothing adds more class to a home or your work than brown and black spots all over the cement. Don't forget porches and window sills. Brand new pavers are my favorite.

jbturf
05-03-2008, 05:16 PM
yup- drives, walks, patios, pool areas etc...

cant believe how many new customers i get , that
cancel there old svc because stuff is not blown off--
usually hear about it right off the bat.

too bad the majority of customers loose sight + apreciation of these
little unspoken extras so damn quickly

dcgreenspro
05-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't know how you can apply fert for a living and not blow everything off when finished.

Atlantic Lawn
05-03-2008, 06:45 PM
We always blow off, and blow any Fert out of areas we edge.

heritage
05-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Always blow off.

Pete

humble1
05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Humble

one of the extra I give my customer at no charge is fertilizer speckled stained driveways and side walks. Nothing adds more class to a home or your work than brown and black spots all over the cement. Don't forget porches and window sills. Brand new pavers are my favorite.

ric you left out picnic tables and childrens swing sets.:laugh:

greenman099
05-03-2008, 10:20 PM
We blow off also.

We got in a hurry 3 weeks ago and forgot one though. I didn't realize it until 2 days later. I went back that day, but it was too late. The product contained iron so the driveway and sidewalk were covered in black specks.

I apologized to the client and offered to clean the driveway and sidewalk. He asked would it wear off and I told him yes but it may take a month.

He assured me it was no problem but I still felt bad about it.

dfor
05-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I always blow off the driveways, walks, etc. TG/CL never does on the customers where I cut but don't have the fert.

americanlawn
05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
IF YOU DO FERT DO YOU TAKE THE EXTRA TIME TO BLOW OFF THE DRIVEWAY?

I blow it off, i think the crushed prills looks like shite on the pavement, plus source of pollution the water takes it to the storm drain.

When you blow off excess fertilizer, where do you blow it to?

Are you then going "off label" in these affected areas?:confused:

Rayholio
05-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, always... it gets us new customers too..

If you're using your deflection shields, etc. there shouldn't be enough material on the walks to make a difference when you blow it back into the grass..

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
05-04-2008, 07:36 PM

I blow it into the lawn, where it belongs. Do you not blow off drives?

americanlawn
05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I blow it into the lawn, where it belongs. Do you not blow off drives?

We do not fertilize driveways.:confused: But your post suggests that you do. Then you choose to place the excess elsewhere:hammerhead:.

Question back to you: When your fertilizer is applied to driveways, do you concentrate the excess along the edges of the lawn (with the use of a blower)?

That's what I meant regarding "off label", cuz it doesn't take much fert to exceed product label when concentrating granules on any given area.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I can think of MANY scenarios where you would get fert on walks, or a driveway; if walk was very curvy, or there is a triangle shape to the turf with hard surfaces on either side...it's inevitable;) Yes I do blow any that is on hard surfaces back onto the lawn...If you are good with a blower, you can get it spread out, not just along the very edge. I always "divide" the driveway in half & blow to each side. (This is directed by State Chemist of our state) Any way you would be "off label" would be if you were using a control product with your fert.:confused:

I'm sure some other areas are "off label" as well...Like at your header strips where they overlap. *trucewhiteflag*

tlg
05-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Yes we blow the drives and walks off. Michigan AG considers these areas an off target application. The target being the grass of course. And this would apply to pesticides only. Straight fertilizer on the walks or drives would probably not fall under the regulations of Michigan AG as they only regulate pesticide use. Also, if the pesticide label says you must blow off walks or hard surfaces you must follow the label or be in violation. That being said we always blow off fertilizer or any pesticide that ends up on walks or drives because it looks bad and we don't want our applications anywhere it should not be. There is enough bad press out there for our industry now. Why ask for trouble.

junior091273
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Always. And don't leave it in the edge to Burn! :nono:

stressed
05-06-2008, 06:54 PM
No,we dont.We dont get granulars on drives,and if we do its very litle.You see the PG comes with a right side deflector that allows you to shut off the throw on the right side.So basically you trim around edge of driveways/landscaping 1st of course with your deflector on then once youve trimmed turn delector off go about your pattern.There are some places though that you cant help to get sum on but mostly we dont.No one in my area does,actually i had a customer complain once cuz he didnt see the granules on his drive,i think they like to see that something was actually put down

PHS
05-07-2008, 12:02 AM
That's what I meant regarding "off label", cuz it doesn't take much fert to exceed product label when concentrating granules on any given area.

I could see the argument if you totally disregarded the walk/driveways and spread those areas full dose and then blew it all back onto the edges of the lawn. Products are expensive enough though that most people don't fully cover those areas, it's just some overspray. If you want to get absolutely technicle you might be able to consider that a label violation but an inspector would have to be a world class s.o.b. to give you a fine for that. If you're walking the spreader and hit a hidden pot hole so you get a fraction of a second overdose, would that be grounds for violation? If we split hairs too much that's the level of silliness we could get to :)

mngrassguy
05-07-2008, 12:36 AM
NEVER with a chest spreader. They are purrrrfect.lol

humble1
05-07-2008, 06:24 PM

I use a redmax 8000 series 1000cfm backpack, it gets it back onto the lawn no problem

garydale
05-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Always blow off.
If you ever see a driveway where pelletized lime was no t blown off you will know why.
With the dew the next morning it turns into "snot" and is almost impossible to cleanup.

You can use the prills left on the downspout splash blocks for SOB that thinks you didn't apply product.

Envi-Lawn
05-09-2008, 08:18 AM
earlier this week we saw Naturally Green Lawncare in CT dumping fertilizer/dimension on properties throughout our area. Every job was finished without blowing off roadways or driveways. :hammerhead:
Last week a Water Division employee was surveying our region for possible causes of algae blooms in our local water supply. :confused:
Last year TGCL was ordered by CT DEP to return to our area and clean up their over application waste.
Much of our area is in a watershed protected zone, but how would an out-of-town company know that? Do they really care?
Thanks Naturally Green for contributing to polluting our waters.

americanlawn
05-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I was just giving you a hard time :) -- we train our guys to use the deflector shield on every lawn (along driveways, walks, steps, pools, dog kennels etc). That greatly minimizes the need for a blower. Our last complaint was a year ago -- not bad for going thru 200 ton a year. Our biggest messes are on large properties when we use ride-on's or even bigger spreaders -- lots of blower time there.:laugh:

I can think of MANY scenarios where you would get fert on walks, or a driveway; if walk was very curvy, or there is a triangle shape to the turf with hard surfaces on either side...it's inevitable;) Yes I do blow any that is on hard surfaces back onto the lawn...If you are good with a blower, you can get it spread out, not just along the very edge. I always "divide" the driveway in half & blow to each side. (This is directed by State Chemist of our state) Any way you would be "off label" would be if you were using a control product with your fert.:confused:

I'm sure some other areas are "off label" as well...Like at your header strips where they overlap. *trucewhiteflag*

PHS
05-10-2008, 07:36 AM
I use a redmax 8000 series

I'm ordering one of those next month, can't wait. Tired of only having a handheld.

mngrassguy
05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Handhelds do have their place though. Much easier for those light, quick jobs.

humble1
05-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Handhelds do have their place though. Much easier for those light, quick jobs.

right but the redmax 8000 is the ferrari of blowers, it will peal the moss off a lawn

Grassmechanic
05-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I've been blowing off fertilizer from hard surfaced areas for over 20 years.

RigglePLC
05-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Don't blow. I learned at TruGreen. Customers do not seem to care.