PDA

View Full Version : Weed Control in spring for fall seeded lawn

Juan if by land
05-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I Killed a lawn on Labor Day with Roundup. 2 weeks later thatched 5times,raked up, aerated and seeded (KB/Rye/Fescue mix).Only achieved about 50% density by November.Limed again in February,barely 6.0 in places.April 15 this year,gave a light application of starter fert. and overseeded at the original rate.Didn't apply any herbicide,wanted to give the seed a chance.
Any suggestions on weed control from here on out? Lawn had major goosegrass problem when I got to it last year.

Hissing Cobra
05-03-2008, 12:21 AM
If you haven't applied any crabgrass pre-emergent (Tupersan-active ingredient of Siduron), then I'd get some down on it as soon as possible. With a lawn that new, you should be applying a Starter Fertilizer + Siduron at 3-4 week intervals until it's full and thick. If you have weeds and or Crabgrass coming up, purchase a product called DRIVE and spray those areas. Once the lawn has thickened up to the point where it's been cut twice, you can switch over to conventional herbicides and pre-emergent controls.

mngrassguy
05-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Good advice

Juan if by land
05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Hit it yesterday with a starter fert./Tupersan product yesterday,that is 2 weeks after seeding.Should have done it at time of seeding,do you see any problems? Just starting to get some of the new grass seed germination (in addition to some more maturation of last fall's planting).Still plenty of bare earth,and getting some broadleaf in there.

The question with the Tupersan is that is listed as "not likely effective on goosegrass".I don't see many options for a preM as far as young and newly seeded turf.Drive is also listed as "ineffective" on goosegrass.

I'm thinking of spot-treating with Acclaim,post emergence.But,Acclaim is listed as being harmful to KB turf less than a year old.

I'm trying to get some marginal turf this season,then aerate and overseed in the fall.It's about 20k feet,with a pretty liberal budget.