PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this plant?

villagegreenlandscape
05-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I have a client who saw this plant and fell in love. I don't think I've seen it before. If you look to the right you'll see a couple of saucer shaped blooms. The plant is about 2' tall and I'm assuming was blooming better in mid-April when she called me. Does anyone recognize it?

cspaugh
05-03-2008, 08:41 AM
The flowers look just like a climatis, but ive never seen a bush, usually it is vine form.

jaybird24
05-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I vote clematis too. Finding the exact named variety will be the tough part. Good luck.

Kate Butler
05-03-2008, 03:19 PM
It's most certainly a clematis - the seedheads are the 'tell'. There are a zillion varieties: do a google search, then look at the images.

villagegreenlandscape
05-03-2008, 06:09 PM
The plant looks like it's been in for at least a winter or so. I don't think clematis survives here in Dallas over the winter.

White Gardens
05-03-2008, 11:26 PM
I haven't done any research, but the bloom looks like a clamatis.

Mid-april bloom, bush form, almost looks like a rhododindron?

Kate Butler
05-04-2008, 07:29 AM
The plant looks like it's been in for at least a winter or so. I don't think clematis survives here in Dallas over the winter.

Many Clematis varieties are hardy to Zone 4 (sometimes even Zone 3), many are not - thus the necessity for research. It looks to me like it's been cut back multiple times to keep it shrublike, rather than the vine that most sorts wish to be. There are also sorts that do NOT climb, but rather scramble for a short distance (plus or minus 6'). Again, research is the key.

By-The-Lake
05-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi I can't help with the id but it definitely is a clematis. There are several that are quite low growing but the one that I am familiar with have a smaller nodding flower and not quite as open as the one in your picture. The one that I am familiar with is called C. columbiana var. tenuiloba which grows to a height of 4-6". It might be another member the family C. columbiana as they range from 3.25 - 5 '. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

EagleLandscape
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
villagegreen, i think ive seen you around. you do some stuff in the canyon creek area?

that is clematis, its not real hardy here in n texas. If it's in a location not subjected to alot of wind, it might survive ok.