PDA

View Full Version : Electric Back Pack Sprayer?????

Ric
05-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Guys

The time has come to buy some new Back Pack Sprayers. While I don't want all electric Back Packs, I would like at least one for spot spraying turf weeds. What can you all tell about them?????

J.J.
05-03-2008, 01:50 PM
You won't regret spending the money on a shurflo backpack sprayer. It has great pressure easy to use and an adjustable nozle.

gregory
05-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Ric i have a shurflo srs 600 i got off of ebay and love it...i plug it in the charger the night before i want to use it so its fully charged and use it for roundup and other stuff it works great had for almost a year not a problem with it....

its got a few different pressure settings also...i won't go back to a pump sprayer again.....

Ric
05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys

Two vote and no negatives, I guess I will try a Shurflo, I have had success with their 12V pumps. I only hope they have a truck charger????

heritage
05-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Ric,

I have the Shurflo as well, and I use it for exactly that too...Spot Spraying.

The owners manual has some discussion about "Cycle Time" when spraying....I think it's 30 seconds, then you need to have some off time, so you dont burn up the pump motor......I am sure you will read it.

Also it does not have a fillwell screen like the Birchmier.......Mabey you can make your own to keep inside of tank very clean.

It has 4 speeds (PSI Pressures) and I almost always use #1 speed. There is a small button under the bottom center of the sprayer.....# of times you press it determines speed. When you are done with job, you hold button in for 3 seconds (shuts on demand pump power off) and spray 1 weed to releave the line pressure.

I take the battery out every 2nd day, and charge with plug charger.......Red light, taking a charge...Green light fully charged..

I do not know if they have a truck 12V charger.

I use a tee jet flat fan turbo nozzle (Blue) Comes with the Plastic Tee Jet Wand, and adjustable cone nozzle....I don't like the nozzle it comes with.

I fits nicely to the back with a contour, and nice sturdy wide straps.

I like it 2 seasons now.

Enjoy it.

Pete

Ric
05-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks Pete

Nozzles and filters I can work around with no problem. It is the charge I worry about. My memory isn't what it used be and I know I will run out of charge because I forgot to charge it.

ArizPestWeed
05-04-2008, 12:54 AM
there are problems with the Propack shurflo.
The padding makes you sweat , a lot .
the pump wars out and is impossible to replace .

Ric
05-04-2008, 01:07 AM

You bring up an important point about the pump WARS. War has always concerned me. The last War I was in, I got shot at and almost killed. At my age I no longer heal like I did in my 20's. Are these pump WARS a out and out danger to me if I buy the electric Back Pack Sprayer????

ArizPestWeed
05-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Ric , do you wnat to see how you too can make your own elel back pack ??

bug-guy
05-04-2008, 09:13 AM
ric be careful of car chargers some batteries show big lose of life when used alot

PHS
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Az, I duplicated your design on a sprayer from a picture you posted once. It works pretty well for spraying shrubs and small trees. I'd have to go look but I think the pump I used is rated for 1 gpm/65psi. I've got another BP I want to convert for spot spraying and I think I'll use a smaller pump for that.

humble1
05-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Guys

The time has come to buy some new Back Pack Sprayers. While I don't want all electric Back Packs, I would like at least one for spot spraying turf weeds. What can you all tell about them?????

fastpac here kicks ass, adj gun for fine mist, or stream can hit a bee nest 20ft up puts a gallon out in like 45 seconds

ArizPestWeed
05-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Az, I duplicated your design on a sprayer from a picture you posted once. It works pretty well for spraying shrubs and small trees. I'd have to go look but I think the pump I used is rated for 1 gpm/65psi. I've got another BP I want to convert for spot spraying and I think I'll use a smaller pump for that.

Good , happy it worked for you .
Did you use a BP with out a manual pump ??
You can get them from SP , called a "gravity flo "

PHS
05-04-2008, 10:01 AM
The BP I used had a regular piston pump on it. I removed the pump and with a hacksaw and dremel tool I carefully cut the pressure reservoir off to expose the drain hole. Then connected up the plumbing. The gravity flo set-up sounds much easier :).

Ric
05-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Ric , do you wnat to see how you too can make your own elel back pack ??

Actually you have me very worried about the Pump Wars, I like my job but I don't want to die for it.

If your home made design doesn't go to War, I wouldn't mind if you posted a link to the pictures etc. I always like new Ideas, in fact I was going to build a roll around spot sprayer out of parts I already have. Sometimes these home builds cost more and work less effect.

As for low end equipment not being repairable, sad to say this is a throw away world.

Bug Guy

Good point about batteries. Their life is very depended on charging properly.

Humble

I will check out your suggestion also. I have about 5 more weeks of our dry season and can do very little weed control at this time.

gregory
05-04-2008, 12:33 PM

this is south florida going outside makes you sweat alot...

ArizPestWeed
05-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Even in Arizona we sweat too.

Az Gardener
05-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Hey neighbor where is the link to the DIY model? Sounds interesting. I am a tight wad, I have some bad backpacks laying around and both my father-in-law and son are tinkerer/ pert time inventors. Sounds right up my allay.

ATVracer
05-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I ended up doing the same thing PHS did. I called Swissmex(SP) about getting some gravity flow tanks & they told me they no longer had them in stock.

americanlawn
05-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi Ric -- you won't go wrong with the Shurflo SRS 600. We've used them for two years now (we formerly used Shindaiwa hand pump backpacks). We use the blue flat fan nozzle in all of them. Specs say they can spray up to 120 gallons on a single charge, but we charge the batteries every weekend (just once a week). The spray gun that comes with them usually shells out within a season, so we upgraded to a TeeJet gun on all of ours. Once in a while the tiny fuse will blow, and every so often the pump might need repaired (both minor expenses). We won't use any other brand. I often carry up to four of these in my truck (Roundup, BWC, Q4, brush killer). Now my guys actually spot spray like they should (compared to before). It's a fine unit. Less than $200 on ebay including shipping.

ATVracer
05-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey Ric try this.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=166925