PDA

View Full Version : web site start up

ashs inc
05-03-2008, 04:36 PM
hey guy i have been reading some posts here. I want to make my own web site. I have been in business for about 8 years. I have plenty of work but I have noticed how many people have asked do we have a web site. I went to godaddy and the web address i want is available. I dont want to spend a ton of money on this. what are the steps?? where do i Start? do i go thru yahoo??

thanks in advance.

neil

B & B Yardscape
05-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I've never done GoDaddy, but I have general info.

I know you said your address was avalible. I would do a google search on the name and see what comes up. You don't want negative results if people search your name.

Register the address with a company that will host it for free also. With the option to pay to remove the ads.

I would recommend trying to build it your self before you run out and pay someone to do it. That way you will have an idea of what is involved and you will come up with some design ideas and content ideas.

It is not that hard to do it and you have control of what goes into it and when it is changed.

All the code and some very good information is on the web to use in your page.

Good Luck

jwillaford
05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I actually disagree with the former post.

As landscapers, we encourage people to seek our professional assistance all the time because we know that we know what we're doing and most businesses/homeowners have limited or no knowledge about what we're doing.

I'm going to say that the same is the case here. My assumption is that you don't have the time or the knowledge to really do this well.

There are great companies who can give you a site that is affordable and will represent you in a really professional way.

I will say this. I wouldn't start with a dynamic site (dynamic sites are those that have content management or changing content). It's a lot more expensive and you probably don't need it. You need a site that communicates who you are, what you do, what you've done, and how they can get your services. A tip when talking with web designers is know what you want before they get there. Even take a piece of paper and write/draw it out. That way you don't get sold into something.

Hamons
05-05-2008, 01:22 AM
I agree -- Why spend hours building a website when instead I can go out and do what I do best and earn more than enough money to pay someone to build a great website for me.

I have very little "free" time -- So I am either working tot earn money or enjoying my time with my family.

Turf Troll
05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Yahoo has some of the highest cost and hardest to transfer domains, personal experience it was tough getting some domains from them. But they have a good sitebuilder that is easy to learn and import logos and designs

GoDaddy is reasonable and easy to transfer. Easy interface to change name servers if you need.

Hosting should be $5 to $15 a month depending what you need and what you want to do with your site.

You can have a decent site built for $300 to $500.

Getting your site on the first page of the search engines $50 to $75 a month depending on competition in your area.

Ideally find someone to make some graphics for you, maybe some pictures of work you have done on some pages. If you learn a site builder or "wysiwyg" "what you see is what you get" you can have someone create the graphics or a whole template as good or better than anything I generally see here and you will be able to change content and graphics add pictures when you want.

Like anything else I change the oil, blades, spindles if needed I'll let the shop change the head gasket - their just faster.

mdvaden
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I agree with the last.

Get a site for about $300 to $500.

Clean, simple and nice looking.

No need for a ton of pages. Maybe just one, two or three pages is a fine start. You can always add if you have to.

Qland
06-18-2008, 04:54 AM
Need help go to www.qcomputerservices.com and follow links to their web design services. They do custom pages starting at $350, and offer very cheap and reliable hosting contact them to get more info as they can get you a deal.