PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer Z HP vs. Hustler Z

Propdoc
12-11-2001, 10:33 PM
I've been seriously looking at getting a 52" Lazer hp. Today I went to a dealership that sells both Exmark and Hustler and was introduced to the Hustler Z. The dealer has two stores within a mile of each other. At one is Exmark and the other carries Hustler. A salesman quoted a price of $6650 for the Hustler Z with 52" deck and 23hp Kawasaki. A salesman at the other store quoted me $6300 for a Exmark Lazer HP with the same setup as the Hustler. I was very impressed with both machines handling and and operation. I've no doubt that few people have had serious experience on both machines, but I am open for suggestions.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-11-2001, 10:45 PM
So what's your question?

Both are good mowers, haven't tried the Hustler though.

If price go for the Exmark.

Propdoc
12-11-2001, 11:13 PM
It always seems like a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge kind of deal. Basically I guess I was looking for pros and cons of each machine. I know that's a difficult question but I was hoping that you guys, with all your infinite wisdom could help me out. Also what about the price, cause I thought both machines were well priced. By the way, I did go to the search like I always do and there was already an Exmark vs Hustler thread but it wasn't very specific on the particular mowers I have in question.

65hoss
12-12-2001, 01:55 AM
I have the 52" Lazer HP w/ 23 kawi and love it. I can tell you it usually runs more than $6300. Thats a very good price. I don't know much about the Hustlers. Some people like them some don't. Like any brand.

I will say this, one of the biggest reason I started last spring with eXmark was the people. The exmark guys are the best. It doesn't matter what problem you have, whoever you get will go out of their way to help you. If I post something I get an answer. If I email, I get an answer, and if I call I get someone who will walk me thru anything. Not just say that isn't our problem, or call the dealer. Customer service is their BIGGEST ASSET at eXmark. Is Hustler the same? I don't know. Great if they are, but I can't say.

I learned a long time ago a dealer will say anything to get your money. For example, have you ever asked a dealer when looking for a new mower, "will you service this immediately if something happens since this is the way I make a living?" To this day I have never heard one say no. But I have never had one give me that after the sale. Some are better than others, but I have never got the 100% like they told me before the sale. Not so with eXmark. They have alway been there for me. When all else fails they will contact dealers, distributors, anyone to get the situation under control and you back in the field.

Anyone can tell you they will do this, but experience is the only way to tell. My experience with exmark has been awesome.

Propdoc
12-12-2001, 07:13 AM
Looking at the specs on both mowers, it does look like the Hustler is built heavier than the Exmark but I believe your right about the wonderful customer service at Exmark. I too have contacted Exmark by email and was blown over at the response both by email and by phone. Also after reading the fourteen or so billion threads on Exmark in the SEARCH area I'm fairly stuck on them. Sooooo.....

mowerconsultant
12-12-2001, 07:38 AM
Hustlers customer service is as good or better than Exmarks.......
We pride ourselves on it !!!!
I think you will find the Hustler to be heavier built.
Try the Hustler on a demo, it will operate smoother and handle hills better than any machine out there !!!
Try the controls, they are very smooth compared to any other unit out there.
The parking brake is integrated into the handles, makes it a lot easier to run.
The Hustler has a heavier duty deck and spindles also.
Compare all the features of the Hustler and then compare those features to any other unit out there, you will find the Hustler comes out on top.
DEMO DEMO DEMO !!!!
If I can help in anyway at all e-mail me @ hustler@twcny.rr.com

Later
Pj

65hoss
12-12-2001, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss

I learned a long time ago a dealer will say anything to get your money. For example, have you ever asked a dealer when looking for a new mower, "will you service this immediately if something happens since this is the way I make a living?" To this day I have never heard one say no. But I have never had one give me that after the sale.

Mowerconsultant, the statement above kinda hits my point about your comment. I'm not saying anything bad about your product, I have no idea about quality or customer service. With that said, you get paid by Hustler. Your here to sell them. If you say hustler is as good or better, that is what your expected to say. That's fine. Your excited about your product as you should be.

My point is, just because a dealer or manufacturer says they are "the best" its the proof to the LCO's over the long term that tells the story. As a LCO, its been proven to me over and over.

Your product may be exceptional and your service may be the best. But a end user needs to hear it from end users and not just the companies. Proofs in the pudding so to speak.

awm
12-12-2001, 08:43 AM
i really like both machines,but agree w 65s point.also for me
its like owning something that is proven an works real good.
and at the same time being real impressed with another.
so what do ya do. i guess just wait an seewhere i get the best deal,when time comes to buy.then theres dixie and - oh well
ill quit.:D :o

sheppard
12-12-2001, 01:17 PM
I would give the edge to the Hustler- can change the blades easier on it than the Exmark. Gas tanks have automatic switching,and total available gas is 15 gallons! The seat is more comfortable on the Hustler, (personal opinion here!), the entire frame is thicker althought the deck on the exmark is awsome. Hustler goes faster! (Not a big point but it's a fact). Had some left front tire blow back on the exmark (not as much as the Husqvarna however). The Hustler produced none. Deck lift for the foot I think is standard on Hustler- an add on for the Exmark.

Cordially,
Sheppard

captdevo
12-12-2001, 02:11 PM
Best thing you can do is demo every machine you can to see what fits your needs..

PJ

Try the Hustler on a demo, it will operate smoother and handle hills better than any machine out there !!!

i'll bet you pink slips my Walker will out handle your Hustler on hills!!

Propdoc
12-12-2001, 05:39 PM
Sheppard, which model of Hustler did you demo because unless the spec sheet is wrong the Hustler Z only holds 12.5 gallons. That's still better than the lazer HP. Also you said the Hustler is faster but once again the specs differ. If you are talking about the Hustler Super Z than your right. I haven't taken them out for a full demo but I did drive them both seriously hard. That's the problem because I was more than impressed with both units, and now I'm just looking for the one thing that makes up my mind. One thing that I like about Exmark is they garauntee their parts overnight or there free. When I asked the Hustler dealer about this his comment was no Hustler doesn't do this and Exmark must be desparate to offer it. A bad mark on his side. The fact that the same dealer offers both machines but at different stores makes me feel that the service would be the same, but I believe there's more to it than that, I guess. Thanks everyone for you comments. Good or Bad!

sheppard
12-12-2001, 05:44 PM
I demo'd the super Z 60". Think it's 15 gallons- could be wrong.

S

Propdoc
12-12-2001, 07:47 PM
I also wanted to ask you guys about the resale value of these units Hustler Z and Exmark Lazer HP too, sorry, it slipped my mind.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-12-2001, 07:55 PM
Resale value is only in the fools eye that would purchace it.

Just think of the next used car or truck you would buy.

I try to run my equipment to the fullest of it's life.

Hustler 52" z 11mph

Lazer 52" 9.5 mph

Robert Doubrava
12-12-2001, 07:56 PM
It's kind of hard to decide, isn't it?:)

65hoss
12-12-2001, 08:31 PM
Someone looking to buy used from you will look at the hours on the machine. Did you beat the mower up? Does the motor run good? From everything I've seen, the resale value stays up pretty good. But remember this is a tool for your business. Its the most expensive tool you will buy. Keep up great maintenance on it and plan to wear it out. Not sale it. Get your full money's worth from it. Then buy a new one and put that out back for a backup mower.

Propdoc
12-12-2001, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, you made some great points.

puppypaws
08-24-2004, 01:37 PM
All you will need to do is take a Hustler Super Z 27 or 28 hp 60" cut and try it out and I can promise you want care about trying another mower. I hit a stump with mind so hard a couple of days back that it just about threw me off the mower. I knew it had to have knocked the deck out from under the mower because it shook me up real good. I checked everything it could possibly have damaged and I could not even figure out where it made contact with the stump. I guess that is why they have a lifetime warranty on the deck. If you will compare components and the warranty of Hustler you want even have to wonder if anything is better.

DennisF
08-24-2004, 07:37 PM
I have a Hustler Z 23/52 and I can say that it is hands down the best mower I have ever operated and I have operated just about all of them. The Hustler is smooth operating and holds hills like a mountain goat and is FAST!!. Many of my customers comment on the smooth cut that the mower produces. It's one tough mower and worth every dollar. Mine has just turned over 500 hours and I haven't had a single problem.

Both machines are excellent on their own merits, but I give the edge to Hustler. JMO.

65hoss
08-24-2004, 07:46 PM
This thread is almost 3 yrs old. I think he probably has worn the machine out by now. haha

Catos
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
I have both mowers and the Hustler is better in my opinion because of speed and hill handling. So far the hustler has been great, I can get alot more grass cut. Right my 2003 Exmark has 835 hrs and I really haven't had a problem with it. But you just have to try both mowers, you will see a difference. BOTH ARE GOOD MOWERS.

Fareway Lawncare
08-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Ditto 65Hoss.....eXmark has eXcellent customer service...
e-mails...phone...reps....their forum on LS....

I also like the fact that they stay out of Our Sections of the forum like this one...Seems more professional...

captken
08-24-2004, 09:26 PM
You and I have both demoed the exmark and the hustler mowing the same turf....side by side.....you had your rpms set higher than mine was set at that time...care for a rematch, now that mine is set at the same level?

by the way thanks....for contacting steve....he bought the 3 pallets of palisades off me quick!

captken
08-24-2004, 09:51 PM
emails phone....contact with the factory quy,...personal contact with the regional rep...personal attention....that's what we want? right? capt?

65hoss
08-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by captken
You and I have both demoed the exmark and the hustler mowing the same turf....side by side.....you had your rpms set higher than mine was set at that time...care for a rematch, now that mine is set at the same level?

by the way thanks....for contacting steve....he bought the 3 pallets of palisades off me quick!

You want no part of me. :p

By the way, it was Scot. haha

captken
08-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Scotts Lawn Care!

I'll still do pink slips on mowers!
Wanna race?

captken
08-24-2004, 10:05 PM
It's just another Ford vs. Chevy thing...

just my opinion...

I run Ford and Hustler...

valleylawn79
08-24-2004, 11:53 PM
both are great products; just demo both on grass; i chose the hustler because of comfort. my partner bought a mini z 52 and loves it; was 300 cheaper than 52 ex hp. that mini z is awsome and responsive

ScCo
08-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Hey Propdoc,

I'm operating out of springdale right now. Send me a message here if you'd like, and I'd be more than happy to discuss the dealer you are talking about with you and to give you some input on the hustler machines.

have a good one,

ScCo

ScCo
08-25-2004, 01:06 AM
some of my super z's work:

65hoss
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Again, let me stress this thread is almost 3 yrs old.

ScCo
08-25-2004, 02:27 PM
funny stuff....I didn't even look at the dates on it...oops.

just saw it was up at the front so posted.... oh well....haha