PDA

View Full Version : Product that breaks down clay?

carolinaborn82
05-03-2008, 07:57 PM
What is the name of the product that you can spread out on clay surfaces that helps to break down the clay and allows it to be more pourous so that you can grow grass? Where can you buy it. I have spread it out 400 times at the golf course and can't seem to remember what the name of the stuff is.

lawnspecialties
05-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Are you talking PermaTill?

Ric
05-03-2008, 09:18 PM
carolinaborn

How about "Gypsum"

Hissing Cobra
05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Gypsum is designed for this purpose. You can buy it at any Lesco/John Deere Landscapes Location.

superchad
05-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I got my gypsum at Menards this year for .86 per pound were as JDL was at 1.26 per pound. Gypsum is gypsum no matter were you go. I do them right after aeration works great. Also helps with dog damage too.

G.M.Landscaping
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
What's the application rate per 1000 sq ft?

superchad
05-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Since the gypsum I have used in the past has varied in granular size so much that I try to apply between 4 to 6 lbs per thousand but the bag says you can go alot heavier than that. I have gone heavier than that if there is alot of clay or lots of dog damage. Great product we sell lots of them.

humble1
05-03-2008, 11:12 PM
What is the name of the product that you can spread out on clay surfaces that helps to break down the clay and allows it to be more pourous so that you can grow grass? Where can you buy it. I have spread it out 400 times at the golf course and can't seem to remember what the name of the stuff is.

gypsum, also i heard that humates work well in that regard

FdLLawnMan
05-03-2008, 11:25 PM
I thought that adding gypsum was an "Old Wives Tale" and after doing some research I found it to be true. Please check out the following link. Although it is from Colorado Sate University it should hold to be true everywhere.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Soil/gypsum.htm

tremor
05-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Colorado State would call it a wives tale since Calcium is already quite high in CO soils. Around here we can expect some inprovement on clay. You gotta know your local soils before you can negate the Gypsum option.

Humates, Aeration, Hydratain, Soil-Master, Turface, etc. These are all tools to use when the time & conditions permit or require.

Rates for gypsum are going to be over 150lbs/M if any effect is to be expected. Do a soil test first.

jbturf
05-04-2008, 01:16 AM
i think superchad is slightly off on the pricing,
i pay .16 per pound of gypsum @jd or lesco whatever

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-04-2008, 02:15 AM
i heard that humates work well...

I have yet to see proof that humate does jack squat beyond the effects of the minimal amount of fertilizer in it.

Studied it in college in my Professional Turfgrass Management class and we couldn't find any quantifiable research that showed humate as anything more than snake oil...

PHS
05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Around here we can expect some inprovement on clay. You gotta know your local soils before you can negate the Gypsum option.

I agree. I have very little use for Gyp but that doesn't mean it's useless everywhere else too. I used to work in a nursery and they sold many tons of gypsum and I don't think anyone that worked there knew how gypsum worked or when it was beneficial but it was a conditioned response after awhile for them to apply it every year.

I have yet to see proof that humate does jack squat beyond the effects of the minimal amount of fertilizer in it.

Those types of applications seem to me like taking vitamins as a replacement for eating fruits and vegetables. If you want humates, topdress with organic matter and get all of the benefits that come with it. The problem is you can't package up a ton of compost in a little bottle and charge a fortune for it :).

topsites
05-04-2008, 01:22 PM

Clay Buster, aka gypsum.

Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate is the main ingredient.

What's the application rate per 1000 sq ft?

Read the instructions on the bag guys.
It will tell you between 10 to 40 pounds, same as lime basically.
But read the instructions, because then there's more bs you know.

superchad
05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
I was off sorry I paid 8 cents as compared to 12 cents per pound at jdl, sorry had to race this weekend brain wasn't workin right.

TurfBusiness
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
There are alot of different opinions on when gypsum should be used. It provides calcium which in turn improves soil structure (more pore space). When CSU (Colorado) says it is not necessary for homeowners to apply because there is enough calcium in the soil, that may be true. But the major factor is whether the calcium is 'available'. The benefits of soil applied calcium are many, especially in clay soils, high sodium soils and sites that use poor irrigation water. On our sites and properties we always address soil problems first. This usually leads to better water usage by the plant, fertilizers are more efficient (they aren't tied up in the soil), the soil aeration allows for better draninage of salts and the list goes on. We use a liquid calcium product that is 'available' immediately and have had quick success in turning turf around. Our turfs areas are thick with grass and we have very limited weeds- we use no pre-emergents and only spot spray once a year. In my opinion a problem lawn or turfgrass site would benefit with a heavy liquid calcium app and skip a fertilizer app (if cost where an issue). Most of our clients notice an immediate green-up.

Most of the national seminar speakers and consultants that I have listened to or spoke with have said that dry gypsum needs to be applied a minimum of 50#/1000 to 200#/1000 to be effective in overcoming sodium problems and improving pore space. This is another reason why we use a liquid- I can put it down heavy.