PDA

View Full Version : Original Thread Right Here

1grnlwn
12-12-2001, 02:12 AM
Milenimum member, lawnsite addict, senior member. Who cares?

If you are bored with the questions people ask go mow some grass and don't answer them. I love it when somebody will write a whole page just to tell some poor schmuc to do a search. Most people don't join this site to sit around going through archives, they want to interact with their peers. I've done searches and actually found some good information, but it was well hidden in all the drivel and off topic BS. But hey that's the fun of interacting with your peers, right? Maybe a new member would like to answer a question that you find so below you. And maybe if you sat quietly you might even learn something from a guy with 3 posts. It could happen, right? Its quality not quanity. Now there are a few old timers that are respectful and just answer the question, then there are the rest. And why does it take so many words to answer such stupid questions. Now that I have angered all the fathers of lawnsite I can be black balled and maybe get some work done for next year.

65hoss
12-12-2001, 02:38 AM
I agree with both sides to some degree. If someone just signed up and never looked over anything, you can tell this person right away. Its the huge general questions that cause the problems.

"Hey, I just found this site and was thinking about starting a lawn service next year. Any advice?" -- Come on, if your doing research on this potential business adventure you should have put forth some effort, not just pop into a comm'l forum and ask that. Of course we have advice. Tons of it, but do a little reseach first then ask the questions.

"Hey, I've been considering a new mower and the exmark and scags are in my area. I've looked over some threads here and found that many people like exmark, but do they really have a good mulching system for bermuda?" -- Now, this question means someone put some thought into what they were asking. Not just throwing some question out there thats as big as Texas. That is what we usually are referring to when we say search. Now I know some see post 1 and just say search.

I try to help out if possible, I don't usually just say search. But I do understand both sides.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-12-2001, 03:39 AM
Now that's what I was trying to say.

Well written HOSS

Interacting with your peers, yes, but lets skip the lazyness.

I may have not been on here as a lot of you, but lets try and keep members from father back interested in partisapating.

1grnlwn; Maby you read the post but I don't think you under stood it to the fullest.

As far as the ranking, I don't care either. Just search my name and look at the 95% meaningfull posts.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-12-2001, 05:24 AM
1grnlwn; you are right, I have learned a few things on here.

I have learned to put words into text.

I have learned to put my thought into text.

I have learned to put what/how I feel into text.

I have learned to spell better.

I have been out of school a long time and never realy needed to use those skills, nor was realy good at any of them but spelling.

I also found out from helping others (this was another thread on here " what has Lawnsite done for you" something like that)
That a lot of my prices for other work was way low. So from helping others I found the flaws in my LCO, and in some of the past threads you can see the things I have done to correct it.

MOW ED
12-12-2001, 08:40 AM
I just did a SEARCH and Lawngodfather was right.:D

For the most part I agree that people come here for some interaction. Being that I have come to this site for about 2 years now at least 2 times a day (sometimes alot more) it gets easy to forget how it was in the earlier days. In some ways good and some ways not so good.

When there was a small group of posters it was pretty easy to keep track of what you needed to know. I posted many questions that never got one reply. I'm sure this wouldn't happen anymore today. Someone is always ready to post, weather it be a goofy answer or a 2 page solution to something in between.

Its like getting mail in the mail box. Ya sort of look forward to opening it.

I really try to answer the questions from new members and I do know that the search feature may be frustrating for them but there can be lots of information that some people do not want to continuously retype. I usually will give an answer to a question but I know that some answers are basically short versions of things I have already wrote what seemed like volumes on.

I certainly am not upset at you for voicing your concers as I also have been hit by "please use the search feature" in the past. This forum is a place for gathering info in a written form somewhat like a library is set up, the big difference is that we get to write in the book.

If I were sitting across from you and you were asking me questions I certainly would be able to talk for hours about whatever questions you had and I know alot of the Milenimum member, lawnsite addict, senior members would too. It is a little harder when you are typing. Hell, add a little beer and we will start a huge lawn service.

As for my feelings on the same questions, they really don't bother me too much. If I see a thread that has really been beat like which mower or double blades, I just skip it or read it quick and go on. Its not meant as an insult, its that I can see how it can be beat to death unknowingly. I think most newbies to the site want to have that interaction with someone and if that is the case, maybe we should have a new members welcome site where they can say hey I'm here and how are you doing. The site initiation can then come in that forum.

So here we are, I just spent the better part of a page trying to explain myself in text. Hopefully you understand that we are all here to learn and excell in our business, the tools here are free so take all you can whatever way it works for you.

I'll continue to answer to the best of my ability as I like seeing new people come to the site, gotta go now and search the new posts> Take care.

1grnlwn
12-12-2001, 09:11 AM
I've been here long enough to see the igornant questions, specially in applications. But if not for the igorant there wouldn't be experts. I even get upset because it seams that the big 3 are putting tow packages on all vehicles sold because if they are not in lawn care they will be. All I know is when I found this site I was real excited because I love tools and mowing. Once I joined I found the atmosphere a little hostile, and was afraid to post threads for fear of shreading. I also asked too probing of a question on DC. Still won't buy til I am satisfied. I think the search function is great, specially bringing something back from the dead and having 13 posts after revival. I think some of us (me included) get a little rude when the subject strays from (our way). And since I have not been through a lawnsite winter it could get worse(surfer questions). Sorry about the harshness of some of the comments. I just thougt a clean-up was in order. Now I will start on my garage. Mow ED Inever get tired about talkin about this stuff. Just typ...

awm
12-12-2001, 09:34 AM
1gnlwn i agree w your post. sometimes i dont have time ,sometimes i just plain am tired of it . but i always enjoy
helping ,w knowledge or advice.theres just too much to learn about this buisiness to ever know it all. at least for me.
having said that . its real nice to start the search for info in the archives,as just about every thing u can imagine is there. just takes a while to find it. id remind posters to title there threads
so they can be found in search on a subject. :o i have not been the greatest at this,but im trying . later now

1grnlwn
12-12-2001, 09:50 AM
Good Idea.

GroundKprs
12-12-2001, 01:54 PM
There are many good answers to many questions in the archives of LawnSite. If you ask a question about bonding, you will not get as complete an answer as <a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=107189#post107189">JAA on Bonding</a>. And I will bet my bippy that John will not rewrite that missive, because he knows that he has given the answer in such completeness, and it is available by a simple LawnSite search.

That is what the internet is all about: (1)the availibility of good information for those who wish to look for it; and (2) the generosity of people like JAA to share their wisdom for free. The internet is not a stage for someone to jump onto and holler "wolf" and expect others must come to rescue him.

Yes, LawnSite is peer communication. But it can be a lot of babble at times; and we even have an Off Topic Forum if the need to BS arises. For the one who jumps into the site and just asks questions right away: sorry, guy, learn how the internet works. I might tell you to search, but mostly I'll just ignore you, because myself and many others are not here just to reanswer the same questions week after week. Interaction is not synonymous with diaper changing.

And I have dozens of really great posts bookmarked. Reread them often just to remind myself of the value of this site. Try a few:

<a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=63400#post63400">Education</a>

<a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=119256#post119256">Pricing</a>

<a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=199327#post199327">Ric on Scrub Work</a>

<a href="http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?postid=89626#post89626">Spreader Calibration</a>

You will probably never see these posted again, because the answers are already here.

FrankenScagMachines
02-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by 1grnlwn
Milenimum member, lawnsite addict, senior member. Who cares?

If you are bored with the questions people ask go mow some grass and don't answer them. I love it when somebody will write a whole page just to tell some poor schmuc to do a search. Most people don't join this site to sit around going through archives, they want to interact with their peers. I've done searches and actually found some good information, but it was well hidden in all the drivel and off topic BS. But hey that's the fun of interacting with your peers, right? Maybe a new member would like to answer a question that you find so below you. And maybe if you sat quietly you might even learn something from a guy with 3 posts. It could happen, right? Its quality not quanity. Now there are a few old timers that are respectful and just answer the question, then there are the rest. And why does it take so many words to answer such stupid questions. Now that I have angered all the fathers of lawnsite I can be black balled and maybe get some work done for next year.

yea, exactly. just thought i'd bring this back up to the top. Some people should read that again. I beleive I posted a similar post recently but got boo'd upon for it.

LAWNGODFATHER
02-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by BushHogBoy
yea, exactly. just thought i'd bring this back up to the top. Some people should read that again. I beleive I posted a similar post recently but got boo'd upon for it.

Yes moron, that's because we figured out that it will never happen.

But then again the threads that have been brought up have had usefull info added to them, but then again you are still a 15 year old kid.

1stclasslawns
02-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Yes it is the interaction that most want, we could all use the search feature more often.

And yes there are some great folks on here. Always willing to help and there are some kids (they all are not under 18 years old some just havn't grown up yet)

I know I have been around longer then most here and I don't post near as much as most either, but I am here every day I will average several times a day at times.

But Now I will tell you the thing I like the least, It is when people "post quotes" a line or two is fine but when some of you will quote an entire post 3 or 4 post down in the same thread all you do is take up valuable space. There I probably miffed (for lack of a better word) a few of you but sorry.

Jim

Bluesteel
02-09-2003, 01:37 AM
BHB, good job, but if you look hard enough you can find threads much older than this one, just ask bruce32, lol

dlandscaping
02-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Way to go BHB, replying to a post intended to make you stop posting redicolous posts about nothing but my scag or exmark or jd.

LGF i agree 100%.

BHB trying to break 4000 posts by spring?

1grnlwn
02-09-2003, 02:35 AM
The thing I am most proud about is I still have the same "opinion" back then as I do now. Thanks BHB us old guys love to reminice. A blast from the past. Could you do a search and bring back others some of my other jewels. If I did it it I would be like Garry! 1/3 rule what a crock! Peace out!

GreenQuest Lawn
02-09-2003, 03:34 AM
The thought I had, seeing that is seems to be the same people that chime in with "do a search", is this, if you are going to spend the time to type in "do a search" find some topics for the guy, help him out, put do a search and the post some threads that may help a little, get his search started.

1grnlwn
02-09-2003, 03:39 AM
I have seen this done and think it is very respectful (lost art with todays yute) , but I am not sure everyone knows the keystrokes to make it happen. Ah now I remember!

Farbio
02-09-2003, 05:50 AM
Hey, I'm a new guy with what 5 posts. Don't worry I have used the search feature. I just want to agree with those who feel the amount of posts signafies nothing. You could very easily find someone who has been in the business 30 years and just found lawnsite. Just because your new to lawnsite doesn't mean your new to the business. On the other hand I have already seen some folks on here with a ton of posts and they know jack squat. Not you Lawn Godfather.;)