PDA

View Full Version : Real Green handhelds

Rayholio
05-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Is anyone using the Real Green Handhelds with Pocket LA III??

I'm real interested in getting one to try out, but they told me that I couldn't buy one.. I HAVE to rent it for $60 a month + a $400 start up fee.. and if it gets stolen, they want to charge me the full replacement price of $700.00

The way I see it, I should be able to buy the handheld myself, and then seperately buy the pocket LA software, then not have to pay for anything other than support.. Whatta you think?

They're supposed to have an in-house meeting to discuss this scenerio... But I was thinking that I couldn't be the 1st person to have brought this up...

What are competitive handheld products like?

jbturf
05-04-2008, 01:10 AM
not familiar with this, do you have a link to it

Rayholio
05-04-2008, 01:56 AM
There's not a lot of info available w/o contacting them.. It's something they primarily market to current suckers... 'er.. I mean customers.. Well.. Honestly I'm not sure which one of those I am.. maybe both?

anyhow;

but here's a pic of their older handheld..
http://realgreen.com/Hardware.asp

Rayholio
05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm the only guy that wants to use GPS/handhelds?

*bump*

Runner
05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Great...aNOTHer reason to steer clear of this company. My friend just got one for his tech, but he runs Qxpress. This thing is awesome, and the tech loves it. He now prints the invoices right in the truck, so if he happens to add something or make any changes, it goes right in to the main program.

Rayholio
05-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Well.. in their defense, I've not heard that they're 100% going to deny me the ability to purchase.. but if they do, I may have to look at other options :/

Lance L
05-11-2008, 11:16 PM
i know jason hisch uses them, ive looked at them but we are a mowing op, ya dont always agree with their methods for a regular cash flow from their customers... but they do change and upgrade the handhelds so you pay the monthly for the support and if they change, they will send u the new one. but ya they are out to make money too ya know.

the people i have talked to that have them love em, but ya sometimes their numbers are a little out of control, do things to try to save time and money and they try to take your savings.... haha but not quite, how u have to think of it tho, they just want a little bit of what they are helping you save, like a contracted thank you for helping me fee =P

Rayholio
05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
After talking to them, they indicated to me that there was no 'free' replacement if there is an equipment upgrade available later.

They want $500 up front, $60 a month, and an ADDITIONAL $700 if the unit is ever lost, or stolen (common in our work)

It IS NOT unreasonable for me to request the option to purchase the software ONLY, and allow me to be independantly responsible for getting the handheld, and set it up... I'd even be willing to pay a REASONABLE fee for support.. I dunno $25 a month? that's really more than enough.. especially for a service I never use.

ARG! I've been talking with them on and off for 2 weeks about this handheld deal, and they ended by telling me that I need to get more customers so that I wouldn't feel the burn of the monthly expense quite so much! I agree that would help, but the value is still unappearant on paper with a required 2 year contract.

As you can tell, I'm a little heated over this.. I'm about one more complaint away from looking for other solutions, because REAL GREEN WANTS TO BLEED ME DRY! These reoccouring fees are completely outragous for 9-5 support, which is a call back service.. AND add to that if you don't pay for the 'support' than you don't get ANY updates.. what would happen if Microsoft, or quickbooks worked like this? (point is, that what they're doing IS NOT the industry standard)

Don't get me wrong.. maybe if you've got an office staff of 5 people which changes from month to month, the $100 for support is cheap... But I'm a 1 man show, and I call support about 10 times a year at most. (usually a 2 minute problem) so I'm paying $1200 a year for less than an hour of 9-5 phone support, and for updates which SHOULD be free anyhow.

Sorry about the rant.. I just wish I could find a company who would treat me the same as I treat my customers... and REAL GREEN is not that...

PHS
05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
how u have to think of it tho, they just want a little bit of what they are helping you save, like a contracted thank you for helping me fee

They're keeping track of how much money you're making and take a percentage of it or something like that? Probably tough to sell companies on that "feature".

Rayholio
05-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Got the final verdict in.. NO purchase options. they will not consider it.. It is "Policy" that you must rent your handheld with monthly support. They won't consider anything that takes away that mothly protection money.. 'er.. I mean support fees.

FDuce
05-15-2008, 04:44 PM
what is the point of this device?

Rayholio
05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
It interfaces with LA3, and loads all production for the day onto the handheld.. then using tom-tom guides you (or your tech who can never find the jobs) strait from one job to another.. It also tracks the exact route of the tech, so you'll know if they decided to stop at the bar for a quick game of pool.. It has a time clock, allows the tech to log all quotes that are giving thru-out the day, and a few other things.. Not a bad little tool.. I havn't tried it yet, but it sounds cool...

I hope that I get a chance to use one someday...

You know it's really ashamed.. I REALLY want to give them a lot of business.. but they're making it so hard..

trimmasters
05-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Sounds allot like my problem with there "customer assistant" site. we were all ready buy that for $4000 then they changed it to another freaking monthly deal

ted putnam
05-16-2008, 12:42 AM
I've got a friend who is currently using this system and is very impressed with the capabilities. I looked at it but it seemed quite expensive. After reading these 2 threads related to this subject, I have only one thing to say. MILK...milk you for all you're worth! Unfortunately there are more and more companies that use this business strategy. Good Luck guys...

johnwilson
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
We have used them for 2 or 3 years and like them.

To me, the GPS directions to the next job is the best and most important feature. This saves the Tech time AND frustration when he has trouble finding the job.

But it keeps up with where the Tech goes, how long he is at every job as he logs in start and stop time.

In the Office all the information about today's work is moved from the handheld into the server data and then the next day's work is loaded into the handheld. Time: 3 minutes.

When a new job is added the Tech can load the GPS coordinates into that customers data with one click on the touchscreen. This can also be used to re-geocode a customers location if it needs correcting.

We believe that the time savings easily offset the cost of the units.

Remember, the GPS means that the Tech no longer has to be that familiar with the area. So you can put a new person in a route and he doesn't have to worry about finding his way.

If a unit develops a problem we just send back to RealGreen and get a replacement unit within a few days. Problems are minimal.

I definitely recommend them.

John