PDA

View Full Version : One thing I hate!

John Deere
01-26-2000, 08:15 PM
One thing I have ALWAYS hated about our business and line of work are the people out there that aren't willing to give you the time of day and think they are better than you. You could probably say that about most anything in life anymore, but I am attempting to start a small nursery. For years we have done landscaping, but have always had to purchase our planting materials from our local nursery which charges us retail price. I can somewhat understand that since the nurseries also do landscaping. However, this is where I get upset. I have called around to other nurseries in the state that are at least 2 hours away. Not one person was even nice about answering any of my questions and were even less helpful in helping me get started. I would like to have any info you could provide in helping me find planting materials at a wholesale price. I know there has to be a big wholesaler out there somewhere close to me. Thanks for any help! Also, thanks for your concerns ahead of time if you tell me to drop the thought of the nursery, but we make a very good living in the lawn care service and landscaping and we are doing this to save money! Thanks!

lawrence stone
01-26-2000, 08:24 PM
Why not just get a pesticide license and forget about landscape construction?<p>If your a small operator you are always<br>going to be at a disatvantage when it comes<br>to the cost of plant materials.

lbmd1
01-26-2000, 09:05 PM
Deere,<br> I see by your profile that you're in Nebraska. Her in New England, we have a few larger wholesale nurseries that wholesale to other nurseries. Their prices and selection are incredible. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with your region. Do you ever have trade shows in your area? At most larger trade shows, there will be reps from 40-60 nurseries trying to vy for your business. As for your &quot;local&quot; nurserymen, some are afraid of newcomers and are unwilling to share their ideas unlike the folks at this forum. They are not all that way, I've experienced both as well. I've done some research on purchasing perennials from wholesalers at 14-40 cents a plug. But thats as far as I've gone. I found these sites on the internet, maybe you can dig up some as well. Hope this little helps.<p>Mike

kountryscape
01-26-2000, 10:41 PM
hi im from iowa and im here to help i just got back from the mid-am trade show in chicago and found one too many cool things there's a nursery in a little iowa town called hamburg it's as far sw in iowa you can go or how about shermans nursery in charles city iowa they supply bare root trees that you can put into pots check out the iowa nur. assco. trade show in des moines, iowa this week it runs today thru friday or go to www.mamma.com and type wholesale nurseries in the search box or use the yellow pages on the net go to snap.com and look for the yellow pages type nurseries wholesale and a good sized town near you lincoln, omaha etc. and they will come up if you need more help contact the neb. nursery assco. they can help let me know

nelski
01-27-2000, 08:16 AM
Hi all I to am from Iowa and do landscaping <br>and lawncare . I am thinking about starting<br>a garden center with nursery . So I been <br>thinking on the cost of buying potted vs bare-root product.It seems bare-root is the<br>way to go for the most part.Here are the<br>numbers for the nurserys talked about in the<br>last post. Sherman Nursery Co. 1800-747-5980<br>Sjulin Nurseries Co. 1800-327-4655 Hope this<br>helps.<p>----------<br>royce nelson<br>

kountryscape
01-27-2000, 08:47 AM
THANKS FOR PUTTING THOSE PHONE NUMBERS IN THERE FOR THE NURSIES THE ONLY PROBLEM IS GETTING A BANKER TO LOOK AT YOU FOR BUYING NURSERY STOCK AFTER ALL ITS A CHUNK OF CHANGE THANKS AGAIN

moonarrow
01-27-2000, 11:04 AM
here in Louisiana is a community called forest hill, it is one of the largest nursery areas in the US ther are over 300 of them and they are all mostly wholesale and ship all over the country 1gl. plants start at about $2.00 dearn near anything you want depending on how much you want they will make bargans shipping is not that bad Ihad 2000 plants shipped to Dallas texas once cost was only $250. If any of you need any more info on this let me know and I will try to hook you up with some of these guys<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape

mattingly
01-27-2000, 05:57 PM
I was just curious if any of you guys who are talking about starting nurseries have any experience with this type of thing? Are you just jumping in? Do you have some plant production background? You may be just wanting to get a few plants for landscaping alone but, if you are looking to do an actual g/c or nursery and you have never done anything like this before... Look out you may be in for more than you bargain.<p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY

kountryscape
01-27-2000, 07:16 PM
I DON'T HAVE ANY EXPERIANCE BY MY SELF BUT HAVE WORKED FOR OTHER NURSERIES DRIVIN TREE SPADE TRUCKS ETC. NOW THAT I HAVE MY OWN BUSINESS I THINK HAVING A FEW OF THE MOST COMMON PLANTS THAT YOU USE WOULD'NT BE BAD START SMALL AND GO FROM THERE IF YOU INSTALLED IRRIGATION DRIP OR OVERHEAD ON A TIMER YOUR WORK LOAD WOULD'NT BE BAD AFTER ALL THOSE GARDEN CENTERS IN TOWN ARE SOCKIN IT TO US SOMETHING WE PAY 14.95 FOR WE COULD BUY FOR 6 OR 8 DOLLAR AND WE HAVE IT IF THEY RUN OUT IN LATE SUMMER YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO PAY FRIEGHT REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PLACE TO OVER WINTER YOUR STUFF A COLD FRAME OR SOME GOOD TARPS I HAVE A 30X96 STUPPY GREENHOUSE AND CAN HELP WITH TELLING YOU WHERE THE DEALS ARE ON THAT END HAVE A GOOD NIGHT GUYS P.S. I GET A 20% DISCOUNT ON NURSERY STOCK AT A LOCAL GARDEN CENTER CHECK INTO THAT ?