PDA

View Full Version : Getting Leaves out of bushes

farmboy52787
05-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi
This spring I felt I have wasted a lot time trying to get leaves stuck inside shrubs, hedges, and bushes and underneath. I have a Echo PB-403T Back Pack Blower and it doesnt always blow out all the leaves. Do the bigger models make much of a difference? Is Echo the best model of Back Pack Blower? Sometimes this year I have had my helper hold up the limbs of the bushes while I hand rake the leaves out. Would one of those Billy Goat Vacuums with the hose attachments work better? Whats the most efficient way to get the leaves out? I know that they could stay there and they would rot and decompose but you cant tell the customer that when they want them out. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

PORTER 05
05-04-2008, 02:26 PM
ya somtimes you just have to get in there and hand rake them out, by hand, but ya the bigger blowers will do a much better job!

PerfectEarth
05-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, if too many stay there and decompose, creating a wet environment- the plants will suffer. A vac attachment would be too much of a pain to efficiently use to get this job done- best to continue doing what you're doing. Try blowing from different angles. I know my BR600 Stihl takes care of leaves in the base of shrubs quite well. You might need a more powerful blower with a better tube attachment to get in there. There realy is no other easier way that I'm aware of.

BeautifulBlooms
05-04-2008, 02:30 PM
I dont plan on getting all leaves out, whatever my Redmaxx 8001 cant get stay in there. There really has to be a limit to the amount of time you put into that type of cleaning. Within a month or so of your spring cleanups the shrubs will be pushin new leaves which will hide whatever is in there.

JFF
05-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Try two blowers at different angles. Two blowers are always more efficient than one.

topsites
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
A hand held blower is helpful sometimes.

Uranus
05-04-2008, 03:25 PM
How many leaves where in the beds. I've seen it all. Next to nothing to playing hide and seek in the beds trying to find bushes under 3 ft of wind blown leaves. If the beds are not to bad I can easily blow out at least 95% of all the leaves without having to reach down and hand pick out a few leaves. I feel 2-5 leaves per bushes is ok to leave. Bushes by the front door get a quick hand pick if there are any leaves left in them after blowing. If they are stuck in there you end up blowing away all the mulch or dirt from the base of the plant and expose the roots. Now if there are leaves everywhere, I take a quick walk through the beds bulking out the heavy build up of leaves then double back and clean up the rest. Are you blowing the leaves from the bottom of the bushes? I find that if you clean out the sides as you approach the bushes then stuff the tube of the blow down into the the plant you can work a lot of the leaves out from the stem of the plant without getting a bunch of them stuck inside the bush.

I bet you were in the same boat as we were down here with leaves falling late last fall and snow falling a little earlier than normal. Spring cleanups were a pain this year. A lot of extra leaves from last fall in the beds and lawns. Personally I feel that you should use the larger blowers to be more efficient. I would recommend getting one of the top of the line blowers for the fall. Wind speed doesn't mean much, it's the CFM's.

Out of the 45 cleanups I do I only have to use rakes on 1 property. Most of the time I will have a second backpacker in front of the large bush while I am inside or behind the bush blowing the leaves out. The second blower in the front moves the heavy stuff out while I push leaves to him.

If you have a helper all the time during cleanups I would go get 2 new backpacks. You will see a huge difference in the new blowers. 751, 8001, or Br 600. These blowers are top of the line with more than enough power.

farmboy52787
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
How many leaves where in the beds. I've seen it all. Next to nothing to playing hide and seek in the beds trying to find bushes under 3 ft of wind blown leaves. If the beds are not to bad I can easily blow out at least 95% of all the leaves without having to reach down and hand pick out a few leaves. I feel 2-5 leaves per bushes is ok to leave. Bushes by the front door get a quick hand pick if there are any leaves left in them after blowing. If they are stuck in there you end up blowing away all the mulch or dirt from the base of the plant and expose the roots. Now if there are leaves everywhere, I take a quick walk through the beds bulking out the heavy build up of leaves then double back and clean up the rest. Are you blowing the leaves from the bottom of the bushes? I find that if you clean out the sides as you approach the bushes then stuff the tube of the blow down into the the plant you can work a lot of the leaves out from the stem of the plant without getting a bunch of them stuck inside the bush.

I bet you were in the same boat as we were down here with leaves falling late last fall and snow falling a little earlier than normal. Spring cleanups were a pain this year. A lot of extra leaves from last fall in the beds and lawns. Personally I feel that you should use the larger blowers to be more efficient. I would recommend getting one of the top of the line blowers for the fall. Wind speed doesn't mean much, it's the CFM's.

Out of the 45 cleanups I do I only have to use rakes on 1 property. Most of the time I will have a second backpacker in front of the large bush while I am inside or behind the bush blowing the leaves out. The second blower in the front moves the heavy stuff out while I push leaves to him.

If you have a helper all the time during cleanups I would go get 2 new backpacks. You will see a huge difference in the new blowers. 751, 8001, or Br 600. These blowers are top of the line with more than enough power.

What Brands are those blowers that your talking about? What is the best brand? I probably wont get them till late Summer since I am almost done my cleanups and I wont have any use for them because the one I have now does a good job blowing off driveways after mowings. Thank you

JFF
05-04-2008, 04:18 PM

Thats the ticket!

Uranus
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
echo 751, redmax 8001, sthil br 600.

I figured you may be done with cleanups by now. Try to save up for at least one new blower for the fall. IT WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND MAKE YOU LIFE A LITTLE EASIER.

As for the best brand. Its the classic chevy vs. ford debate. It all depends on what your dealer sells and what brand you have history with. All 3 are the top brands. You have to decide what fits the best for your biz.

sbvfd592
05-04-2008, 05:02 PM
echo 751, redmax 8001, sthil br 600.

As for the best brand. Its the classic chevy vs. ford debate. It all depends on what your dealer sells and what brand you have history with. All 3 are the top brands. You have to decide what fits the best for your biz.

WOW souldnet have said it better myself!!! as for me i use sthil because i have good dealer support.