PDA

View Full Version : How to clean up mulch

Kennybob
05-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I expect to do a mulch job, there is already mulch there from a few years ago however there are some flakes of mulch and mostly black dirt. During a normal job when spreading new mulch do you have to remove everything (old mulch, dirt) down to the fabric, then lay new fabric and spread? Could you even just weed it and lay it on top, and only remove mulch in the high spots?

JNyz
05-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Weed it, edge it, remove high spots lay it on top. You got it!!!

JFF
05-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Personally, I refuse to use any type of landscape fabric. Unless the spot you are using it is totally level and has no drainage issues, it will always end up exposed.

Besides, you put it down, the mulch decomposes, and then you have dirt on top of the fabric where weeds can germinate.

The beauty of mulching is that the mulch not only holds in moisture and helps prevent weed infestations, but breaks down into good soil. Why install something to prevent getting the full benefit of the product? I despise the cloth and the black plastic.

Just mulch it and go over the top with whatever type of preemergent you use.

As far as removing the old mulch, I only do it in places where it prevents me from putting the new stuff on as deep as I want it. For instance, if the dirt/mulch level reaches the top of whatever the edging is made of.

squirrel19
05-04-2008, 08:16 PM
JFF got it right all the way on this one. I NEVER use fabric eigther. We use Preen on every job we do and it puts a stop to the grass and weeds.

Johnson LCO
05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Why would you ever use preen as opposed to snapshot? Landscape fabric always ends up ticking out of the mulch. I always pull it out when some other ****** puts it in the previous year.

JNyz
05-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Snapshot is only 100 bucks a bag and will go 2-3 times as far a 100 bucks of preen. It cracks me up when suppose to be landscape professionals use home owner products and equipment.