PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitoes

RobHawkins
05-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I have a lawn full of big (male) mosquitoes. The females (the ones that bite) can't be far away.
What's the best way to get rid of them?
Thanks,
Rob

mngrassguy
05-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Not sure if bifen is an RUP. Works great

RobHawkins
05-05-2008, 06:57 AM
RUP? Residential User Pesticide?

gregory
05-05-2008, 09:45 AM
talstar bifen is not a RUP product...

humble1
05-05-2008, 09:08 PM
RUP? Residential User Pesticide?

Residential User Pesticide I hope you are joking,
Restricted Use Product

Crosscheck for Mosquitos

RigglePLC
05-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Male mosquitoes here, too. Can you drain the water source? Can you treat the water with BT dunks? A few dozen fish bait minnows will clean up most ponds to get rid of the larvae. An agitation system will get rid of most larvae also.

americanlawn
05-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Like humble1 said, Crosscheck (from LESCO) knocks 'em out good. It is a short term solution though -- great for special events. We have also used Mosquito Barrier for longer residual, but the garlic smell lingers a long time.

gregory
05-06-2008, 09:28 PM
call mosquito control...........

you guys don't have a goverment dept that does mosquito control up north?

vegomatic40
05-07-2008, 09:10 AM
First of all, be certain that you indeed have a mosquito problem. In my area of Mid-Tn. there has been a huge hatch of "Crane Flies" lately. Received dozens of calls from customers concerned with them. I'm not sure why there have been so many of them but they are everywhere. As I understand it they simply hatch and mate and feed very little(not on humans). Some speculate that they even feed on mosquito larvae thereby reducing future populations. I've noticed the past few days that they seem to be tapering off so the calls have reflected this as well. Call your county extension agent for positive ID. before throwing around a bunch of insecticides that may be controlling a beneficial insect(s).

Runner
06-03-2008, 01:23 AM
For those of you guys that are using Crosscheck for mosquitoes, are you spraying it, or spreading granular to be watered in? I have been doing control for special events, using a thermo fogger, but usually only cover a half to an acre. I got a call to do an openhouse, and they want 3 acres done. I am wondering the most practicle means of doing it. Granted, I could probably fog 3 acres in about an hour and a half.

greendoctor
06-03-2008, 02:49 AM
I do my bifenthrin from a 450 PSI sprayer and a tree gun with a 1mm. orifice. This is for properties that are 10,000 max. I think a Solo or Stihl mist blower would work for acreage. Don't think much of thermal fogging, the heat breaks down the insecticide to a large degree unless you are doing DDT in kerosene, like how they did in the 1960's.

Fert33
06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I have used crosscheck on mosquitoes for a special event. I sprayed it in a permagreen, and it worked great. Never had a problem in that area again. I used the high rate on the label. I didn't want to fail with the application. Long story short.... Used ALOT of Crosscheck!

Runner
06-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Cool...Do you find that it clogs the nozzle screens a bit? I was told this (or read it). Of course, it is no big deal to clean them out, or better yet, just carry an extra set.

humble1
06-04-2008, 12:47 AM
For those of you guys that are using Crosscheck for mosquitoes, are you spraying it, or spreading granular to be watered in? I have been doing control for special events, using a thermo fogger, but usually only cover a half to an acre. I got a call to do an openhouse, and they want 3 acres done. I am wondering the most practicle means of doing it. Granted, I could probably fog 3 acres in about an hour and a half.

solo backpack mister gas powered, i could do 3 acres in 15-20 min tops, i use permethrin