PDA

View Full Version : questionnaire of the moment

Mike M
05-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Assuming you offer it, what is the duration of your free service (free bulbs, etc) that you include with installation?

Mike M
05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I have given three to 2 customers. I am thinking of three for everyone, and then offering 3-year service plans.

Chris J
05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
A three year service plan would require the customer to give up a huge chunk of money all at once. Unless, of course, you have some type of payment plan (semi annual, annual, etc.)

Mike M
05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, that's what I was thinking, 3 year contract, annual payment, but really, that's just an annual service plan.

I would assume the duration, and bulb of choice, have everything to do with each other.

The Lighting Geek
05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
we service all customers for the first year. To maintain our lifetime warranty they must have us maintain their system there after.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Full warranty for two years, lamps included, no questions no quibbles. Only exception is for obviously damaged fixtures (snowblower attacks, kids snowboard over path lights etc)

Chris J
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Here's the better question: What do you do with a customer that does not initally take you up on the service contract, but then wants to get on it, say, 4 months after it was due? Do you let them get back on and give them 1 year from the date of their check? Do you let them back on, but make the start date the original due date? Does this lapse void their lifetime warranty? How do you guys handle this one? I have had people not renew until something goes wrong, then they realize they should have had the service plan. Then again, some people are just procratinators and forget about it for several months until a lamp burns out.
The way I handle it if they haven't had service in a long time is I will charge time and materials to get the system back in shape. After this is performed, and the payment is made, I will start them on the 1-year from that point.

NightScenes
05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Same thing here Chris, I have had a couple of clients that didn't get on the service plan until they had to pay a service call. Then they realized that I was trying to save them some money and headaches and they want to get back on the plan and I let them.

David Gretzmier
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Some clients wait until a few bulbs go out, then call me, and I replace all the bulbs ( not just the ones out) and give them a year after that date. they then wait, and a few months later, call me again, and so forth. It costs the customer and me the same to replace all bulbs whether it is at 12 months or 15 months, but in the long run, that customer will save a year every 4 years or so. I really don't like coming out every 3 months or so, So I push really hard to get the customer to let me change them all out.

JoeyD
05-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Obviously I dont offer it but if i was it would be no longer than 1 year. I am thinking more like 6 months?

Eden Lights
05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Three year lamp warranty with advanced control systems: min. spring and fall checkups. Lamps, maintenance, and labor.

If I was installing pars it would be 90days like Joey said, I know he knows his pars.:laugh:

JoeyD
05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Eddie, you are such a hater! LOL :laugh: insert middle finger here....:laugh: .LOL KIDDING!
seriously I had a guy call last week who I had done a job for years ago when installing. He was looking to replace some of his lamps that just started going out. Job was done 90% pars.....Job is 5 years old and out of 37 lamps only 5 have burned out and they started going out this year. He runs the lights from 7:30-12am every night!

Joey D. Still a Par lover!!

NightScenes
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Same as Eddie, 3 years on everything except things that are beyond our control like cut wires and such.

Pro-Scapes
05-07-2008, 09:31 PM
For you guys offering 3 years I am assuming your building that maint contract right into your instlled price.

I offer 1 year of quarterly visits then maint contract after that. With my maint contracts you get visits every quarter and 2 floating service calls as needed built into it.

Lite4
05-08-2008, 06:38 AM
1 year of service from date of completion, uncluding replacing any prematurely dead bulbs. I inlcude semi annual maintenance in the contract. At one year I will clean the fixtures and offer a relamp price of all fixtures for those running them at around 8-10 hours per night, along with an extended warranty.
The pars I use are the longest lasting bulbs I have going. In the subdivision I maintain monthly, I just replace them as they burn out. I have some going well over 2 years running all night long. Lovin those tractor lamps.

Eden Lights
05-08-2008, 06:44 AM
1 year of service from date of completion, uncluding replacing any prematurely dead bulbs. I inlcude semi annual maintenance in the contract. At one year I will clean the fixtures and offer a relamp price of all fixtures for those running them at around 8-10 hours per night, along with an extended warranty.
The pars I use are the longest lasting bulbs I have going. In the subdivision I maintain monthly, I just replace them as they burn out. I have some going well over 2 years running all night long. Lovin those tractor lamps.

Brand and Wattage? Any of them 20 watters?

Lite4
05-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Negative. They are the GE 35 watt WFL. I have not had enough long term experience with the 20 watters. If I drop down to a 20 I will usually go to an MR instead of the par.