PDA

View Full Version : Orchardgrass control in Tall Fescue ???

RobHawkins
05-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Got an ID on a seed head. It's Orchardgrass. The turf is Tall Fescue (Wolfpack). Will the MSMA that I got to control the Dallisgrass work on the Orchardgrass?
The drought of '07 gave the real tough grassy weeds a lot of help here in central North Carolina (Piedmont).
Any help is always greatly appreciated.
Rob

PSUturf
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
MSMA isn't labeled for Orchardgrass. I don't recall hearing of any product that can selectively remove Orchardgrass.

naughty62
05-06-2008, 04:40 AM
orchard grass dig it or round up. They use it as a campanion grass with alfalfa and its not uncommon to see seed contamination or infestation near alfalfa fields .

kappa915
05-06-2008, 09:45 AM
We have the same problem here in North Georgia. I've been told that it is often due contaminated tall fescue blends. Furthermore, I've also been told by UGA turf officials that Tall Fescue blends from Oregon do not have orchardgrass due to the fact Oregon does not have orchardgrass. Not sure if any of this is true, but I do know that I have only used Tall Fescue blends from Oregon, but it seems that we still experience issues with orchardgrass after seeding. I have it in my personal lawn and I painted the leaf tips with Glyphosate. I killed alot, but unfortunatley it is wide spread. And every year after I seed, i seem to have more. Only seed i've ever put on my lawn is the Lesco Transition Blend. Its a pain because it grows a bit faster than the fescue and after just a few days after cutting it really sticks out. I've been told that fusilade II will take it out, but its orchardgrass is not on the label.

RobHawkins
05-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info. Your help is greatly appreciated.
I think this stuff came in with the straw I put down on bare spots that were seeded a couple years ago. That's where it's most established. Too much to dig up. I think I'm going to spot kill it with RU over the Summer.
Thanks again.
Rob