PDA

View Full Version : Product to Control Moss In Lawn

GravelyGuy
05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I have a customer that has a small drainage creek along the back side of their property and there is a couple of small sections that have the green fuzzy type of moss. I really don't think it's a big deal at all, but they want it gone.

What can I use?

Thanks...

PSUTURFGEEK
05-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Quicksilver will clear it up but I would be very careful and make sure you have a decent buffer zone if it is a drainage area. if that's a problem use Dawn.

integrityman
05-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Try applying some lime as per the recommendations...Also Scott's sells a moss killer....

Hissing Cobra
05-06-2008, 06:32 AM
The correct way to get rid of Moss is to apply a granular product called Ferrous Sulfate, also known as Iron Sulfate. It will kill the Moss within 24 hours, turning it Black. If it's thick - to the point of having to rake it out- don't even bother to use this product. Just rake it out.

Most people don't worry about Moss until it takes over those damp, shady areas. By then, it's usually too late for the Ferrous Sulfate. That product should be used as a Maintenance product to keep the Moss at bay as it's creeping into the lawn.

It's very reasonably priced at around $10.00-$15.00 per 50 lb. bag and can be bought at any Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location.

GravelyGuy
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Would RoundUp kill the moss that isn't in the yard?

Hissing Cobra
05-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Round Up kills a lot of things but it won't kill moss (at least it's never killed it for me). The Ferrous Sulfate is the way to go. You can even mix it with water and spray it on. Do not over apply it though because if you do, it'll turn the grass blades Black as well. Also, if the Moss isn't in their yard, you cannot legally apply anything to kill it.

GravelyGuy
05-11-2008, 12:04 PM
The correct way to get rid of Moss is to apply a granular product called Ferrous Sulfate, also known as Iron Sulfate. It will kill the Moss within 24 hours, turning it Black. If it's thick - to the point of having to rake it out- don't even bother to use this product. Just rake it out.

Most people don't worry about Moss until it takes over those damp, shady areas. By then, it's usually too late for the Ferrous Sulfate. That product should be used as a Maintenance product to keep the Moss at bay as it's creeping into the lawn.

It's very reasonably priced at around $10.00-$15.00 per 50 lb. bag and can be bought at any Lesco/John Deere Landscapes location.

I put down some Ferrous Sulfate on 5/8 and yesterday, 5/10 I was at the property again and the moss was black. All the rain we've had sped up the process. I figured the iron would turn the grass really green in that area, but it didn't look like anything happened to it?