PDA

View Full Version : Huge hedge trimming job I had today

pdenney11
05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I had to take a foot off the top of this thing. I had to use a eight foot ladder. It ended up being a PITA. I think I underbid the job. Customer let me put the debris in her trash can so I didn't have to haul anything off, that was the only plus. I agreed to trim it every three weeks. I should make my money back on the job the next time I do it though. This first cut was tuff though.

SNAPPER MAN
05-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Do you have an extended reach hedge clipper? They make life so much easier for hedges like this one.

pdenney11
05-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I used a Ryobi 26cc, 22" hedge trimmer. Yeah something longer would have been great. I will probably investing in something with a little longer reach after this job.

bobcatnj
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
i bought a redmax extreme unit with the hedge trimmer attachment. AWESOME. make stuff like this so much easier

SNAPPER MAN
05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a stihl HC-100 extended hedge clipper and that thing is so nice. Cuts down on time big time.

Uranus
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
how much did you get for trimming that hedge row?

I don't want to burst your bubble, but that really is not that big. From the time you get there till you finish cleaning up and drink a cold bottle of water that would have been a 2 hr job for one guy.

pdenney11
05-06-2008, 10:34 PM
how much did you get for trimming that hedge row?

I don't want to burst your bubble, but that really is not that big. From the time you get there till you finish cleaning up and drink a cold bottle of water that would have been a 2 hr job for one guy.

Yeah it was a 2 1/2hr job, and compared to what I normally trim that was a big job for me. There is another row on the other side of the fence that looks the same but it is about half as long. $85.

freshprince94
05-08-2008, 08:43 PM
With that Ryobi, that's a hell of a job.

lawnpro724
05-08-2008, 09:51 PM
You should see some of the hedge jobs we do. I have one job that has a privacy hedge around the entire back yard and its 200' long 14' high and 8-10' across.

bobcat52
05-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Definetly way too low on the price. I would have charged at least $145 for that. Next time bid them like you dont need them!

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Definetly way too low on the price. I would have charged at least $145 for that. Next time bid them like you dont need them!

85 is not too little for that job. It's not the homeowner's fault that he has less than commercial equipment. With a good set of hs80's and an extended pole trimmer, I would've had that job done in 20 minutes...tops.

justanotherlawnguy
05-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I used a Ryobi 26cc, 22" hedge trimmer.

OUch... and for $85 for 2.5 hours of work. You definitely need some articulating hedge trimmers, expensive but worth every penny....check out the shindaiwa AH230

pdenney11
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
85 is not too little for that job. It's not the homeowner's fault that he has less than commercial equipment. With a good set of hs80's and an extended pole trimmer, I would've had that job done in 20 minutes...tops.
I call BS on 20 minutes no matter what equipment you are using.

pdenney11
05-12-2008, 08:12 PM
OUch... and for $85 for 2.5 hours of work. You definitely need some articulating hedge trimmers, expensive but worth every penny....check out the shindaiwa AH230

Yeah I definitely need something like that, would make my life a bit easier. Thanks for the equipment suggestion.

old oak lawn
05-12-2008, 09:58 PM
yes $85 is to low i would be at $150 i think, hard to tell would have to see it in person. but its ok that u under bid bacuse now u know what a job like that takes. i have done the same thing.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I call BS on 20 minutes no matter what equipment you are using.

LOL. You were able to fit the trimmings in a trash can! I have many pruning jobs that require me to fill my 16' trailer, 8 ft high. I maintain about 1 mile of hedges that are comparable in size to what you are dealing with... and about 500 mainicured hollies, etc, etc. With a real set of trimmers, you would be surprised at how fast the work gets done. That job, for me, would be a swipe up and down the perimeter with hs 80's; then, a quick top with my extended articulating trimmer. It would be much more defined and crisp, too.

pdenney11
05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
LOL. You were able to fit the trimmings in a trash can! I have many pruning jobs that require me to fill my 16' trailer, 8 ft high. I maintain about 1 mile of hedges that are comparable in size to what you are dealing with... and about 500 mainicured hollies, etc, etc. With a real set of trimmers, you would be surprised at how fast the work gets done. That job, for me, would be a swipe up and down the perimeter with hs 80's; then, a quick top with my extended articulating trimmer. It would be much more defined and crisp, too.

It was actually 7 large trash cans. 20 minutes is ridiculous. I don't actually remember asking you about the hedges and trees you maintain either, but thanks for the useless knowledge.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-14-2008, 01:00 AM
I was just trying to enlighten you. It's not my fault that I'm right.

pdenney11
05-14-2008, 02:32 AM
I was just trying to enlighten you. It's not my fault that I'm right.

That's great, but why couldn't you just simply give me some suggestions and tips instead of being a smart ass about it. I'm really sorry I don't have a lot of commercial grade, expensive equipment yet. I'm working at it now and trying to do a great job with what I have so that I can afford new things. I joined this forum to get advice, not to hear someone tell me that they can do my job two and half hour job in 20 minutes because that really doesn't help me out at all.

Stillwater
05-14-2008, 02:47 AM

Bull crap if you could do that job start to finish with clean up and have the hedge look professionally trimmed and manicured I would hire you full time in a nano second at 80 90 per hour and provide you with the equipment of your choice

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-14-2008, 09:34 AM
That's great, but why couldn't you just simply give me some suggestions and tips instead of being a smart ass about it. I'm really sorry I don't have a lot of commercial grade, expensive equipment yet. I'm working at it now and trying to do a great job with what I have so that I can afford new things. I joined this forum to get advice, not to hear someone tell me that they can do my job two and half hour job in 20 minutes because that really doesn't help me out at all.

You're right... I got kind of flustered when you called bs. I apologize.*trucewhiteflag*

pdenney11
05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
You're right... I got kind of flustered when you called bs. I apologize.*trucewhiteflag*

I apologize for calling bs. *trucewhiteflag* If you can do that job in 20 minutes that is awesome and you are great at what you do. I've seen some of your post with pictures of your work and you do some good work. So what do these HS80's cost? Is that Stihl?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
05-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Yes, HS80's are made by stihl... and are probably the best hedge shears ever made. I have one set that EASILY has gone 2,000 hours... and, the only maint I had to do to them was one blade shapening. They are great. Get em while you can though, stihl is phasing them out for thier new fangled hs81's... that are not nearly as good. Your second purchase should be some extended, articulating trimmers. Stihl has a good set; but, they are too short for my needs. I just buy the fs 90's or 100's and add a hedge shear attachment to that... Then, I not only have a set of shears... but, they double as backup weedeaters, too.