PDA

View Full Version : china chem import

causalitist
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
any of u guys ever think of ordering bulk 2,4-d salt, dicama, clopyirlid etc in bulk from the chemical companies in china? i'm being quoted a price for 15lb dicamba, 55gal 2,4-d, we'll see if its insanely cheap. should have it in a day or so.

not taking this to seriously, but it's kind of interesting, even more so if they are really cheap.

maybe i can make a mix identical to eliminate or momentum fx2 for pocket change, who knows... after all, it's that label we pay for.

mngrassguy
05-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Labels need to be licensed for use on turf here in Mn. Maybe more work and expense than it's worth here. Good luck. Let us know how it works out

DavidR
05-07-2008, 08:13 AM
With the reports of the kind of things coming out of China, how would you know you were getting what you are paying for? Have you read some of the news of some of this stuff?

If you bought some of this stuff from over there you would have no recourse if it didn't work or wasn't what it was advertised to be. Lots of risk involved that is for sure.

larryinalabama
05-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I have imported some equiptment parts from China, freight is the biggest problem it is usuallu a deal killer

causalitist
05-07-2008, 10:57 AM
well, I was quoted $3/Kg or $1.36/lb of 2,4-d amine

maybe i'll just try 5kg. 11lb 2,4-d for $15 big deal. shipping will be more, but thats still pocket change.

mngrassguy
05-07-2008, 11:09 AM
http://www.wisconsin.gov/state/app/license;sesessionid=9dWnlsRFCgfUSQcXd9GlE8bi?COMMAND=gov.wi.state.cpp.license.command.ShowPermitType s&selectedLicense=2001010315212695862286

Thats illegal. You need a label

DavidR
05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Those fees sure do look like a bit more then pocket change to me.

causalitist
05-07-2008, 11:54 AM
thats 22gal of 50% amine for ~$30 .... you dont think thats pocket change?

Also, i figured its regulated heavily. i suppose i will look into if i can just mix an identical product to say Q4 and put an identical label on it, or if i have to get it appoved by the epa ect.. prolly needs to get appoved..

I'll look into it, maybe I'll go into selling herbicides ahaha ,mix something the same as Q4 for a few $/gal, alot of paperwork and waiting, labeling... then I can sell you guys q4 for $30/gal :)

LushGreenLawn
05-07-2008, 03:20 PM
thats 22gal of 50% amine for ~$30 .... you dont think thats pocket change?

Also, i figured its regulated heavily. i suppose i will look into if i can just mix an identical product to say Q4 and put an identical label on it, or if i have to get it appoved by the epa ect.. prolly needs to get appoved..

I'll look into it, maybe I'll go into selling herbicides ahaha ,mix something the same as Q4 for a few $/gal, alot of paperwork and waiting, labeling... then I can sell you guys q4 for $30/gal :)

I have worked for a chemical company that sold insecticides. To start mixing pesticides legally, with all the Red Tape, The type of Facility and Saftey features required, insurance (Big one, my company spend a hair over a million a year), ect, you would need alot of money in start up capital.

As far as regulation goes, I'll give you an example. We had to have a license to sell our pesticides in any state that our pesticide would be sold. That means that if we sold a product to a distributor in Delaware, and he sold it in 20 other States, we had to be registered in all 20 states. Since we had no control over where any perticular distributor sold a product, we had to be licensed in all 50 states regardless. This is just one example of many. We had a guy who's only job was to make sure we were legal.

This is all for a company with about 10 office staff, and about 25 people working on the lines. We were one of the smallest chemical companies in the country.

DavidR
05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
The economic term is barriers of entry. You may quickly find that your idea to make a few quick bucks isn't as easy as you thought. Give it a shot if you would like, the EPA (among other agencies) will not make it easy on you though.

causalitist
05-07-2008, 04:17 PM
ya, i figured. like i said, i was just looking into it for the heck of it. didnt take it seriously.

You got to admit though, under $1 per gallon of 50% 2,4-d amine is enticing ahahha

bj22
05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
:usflag:Careful there might br red dye with lead on the label.Maybe even some bad toothpaste in that 2':4d.

bflower
05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Our local farm co-op is selling a 41% glyphosate called WISE UP out of china. Should I wise up and buy something else for an additional $70 per case or just grit my teeth and enjoy my brand new chinese lesco spreader and chinese roundup???

causalitist
05-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Our local farm co-op is selling a 41% glyphosate called WISE UP out of china. Should I wise up and buy something else for an additional $70 per case or just grit my teeth and enjoy my brand new chinese lesco spreader and chinese roundup???

ya, thats what im sayin. i bet if you got glyphosate direct it would be so insanely cheap. bet that stuff is a few bucks a gallon.

alf51175
05-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Question is, if this stuff is laced with something off the wall, say they don't clean their mixing equipment at the factory, and it does some damage, who will be there to back you up and pay for the damage. Agency brand will and should back you up if their products cause problems. This stuff out of China may leave you holding the stuff and the bills for the repairs.

Marcos
05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
:usflag:Careful there might br red dye with lead on the label.Maybe even some bad toothpaste in that 2':4d.

Ditto that, bj22 !!

Causalitist, It'd be wise to call the labs that currently do all your turf soil sampling evaluations for you.

Tell them exactly what you're doing; and for them to add lead to the list of things you want ALL your samples to be checked for in the future.

( .....think I'm kidding ? :rolleyes: )

WorkinIt
05-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Seems like this is a race to the bottom. Most of us would scream about a crew of folks that came in and undercut us because they used cheap equipment, didn't bother getting licensed, hired children, etc., but don't have any problems buying from China where they do all of this.

Too many risks of poor quality, adulteration, etc., as well.

What do you say to the neighbor who lost his job when his manufacturing company went out of business? Do you have any clients who work for American manufacturers? Are you happy if he has to discontinue his lawn service because his manufacturing job was lost to China?

We can't all sell each other hamburgers and insurance, or cut each other's lawns. We have to manufacture things in America or we have no economy, no jobs and no money.

Subterfuge
05-10-2008, 06:04 PM
WHAT???:hammerhead: Ever heard of the EPA?? It'll never make it through Customs. What are you going to declare it as? Do you like prison? Ever heard of the Patriot Act? Electrical Engineer?HAHAHAHA!

causalitist
05-11-2008, 02:15 PM
WHAT???:hammerhead: Ever heard of the EPA?? It'll never make it through Customs. What are you going to declare it as? Do you like prison? Ever heard of the Patriot Act? Electrical Engineer?HAHAHAHA!

hey man, like I said I wasnt taking it seriously. I study differential equations and electromagnetic waves, not importation laws.