PDA

View Full Version : Major New Job - Fixture Advice

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I have been handed the task of designing the outdoor lighting for a major mixed use commercial / residential building project. An entire city block, anchored by a 15 storey Condominium, with converted warehouses on the other three corners. Site use is open to the public and tenants will include retail, restaurant, professional offices and the condo residences. There is a series of courtyards that connect the 3 buildings to the onsite parking.

I am looking for a wall mount fixture that will provide up & down lighting to graze the vertical columns. It will need to be a line voltage fixture and I want to use 39W PAR20 MH Lamps, a wide flood aiming down and a narrow spot aiming up. I am interested in various forms for the fixture including cylindrical and rectangular. Projection style with no sight lines directly to the lamps.

If you know of a fixture that might be appropriate, please let me know.

Have a great day.

Eden Lights
05-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Vision3 Vision3 Vision3

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for that... along the right track there however I will need to have the ballast part of the fixture, either internal or mounted in a 'canopy' so that the entire fixture, ballast and all can simply be attached to a std. 4" octagonal J-box.

I don't have the space to be mounting remote ballasts all over the project.

Perhaps Vision3 can custom build something like that? I will need about 100 of these fixtures so I am guessing they might be interested in the work.

Eden Lights
05-06-2008, 11:52 PM
To me you also you benefit from the extra distance from the building facade that the ballast box provides, enhancing the photometrics.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Yes, I am 100% with you there! I only hope they can squeeze two 39W MH ballasts into a integral mounting canopy. I will call them tomorrow and find out.

Any other ideas would still be appreciated!

NiteTymeIlluminations
05-07-2008, 07:27 AM
HeviLite seems to be my choice lately for up/downs. You working 120volt or 240 or 277? If higher voltages which would be nice you could talk with ?Lumascape. They are based in Autralia and make great fixtures. I wouldn't even bother with BK anymore, they just seem to be worried about jacking their prices up.

Good luck on finding the integral ballast, someone will do it for you though.

Why the par20 over the t6 though? Ooooh I like that t6 lately.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I have no experience with the T6 lamp... please tell me more! Does it require the fixture to produce the optics through a lens? This is why I was thinking the PAR20 as I can easily rely on the lamp photometrics to locate and determine the spread and intensity that the fixture will achieve.

Erco has an interesting fixture: Take a look at it here and tell me what you think....

NiteTymeIlluminations
05-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Looks good and yes the fixture and lens would determine optics with the t6. I'm using 18 of them right now in JA for some royal palms that are approx 80' tall...take that back I'm using 70 watt t6...not 39 watt...I want these things to "wham" as they are going to be a focal point for miles.

That fixture looks good...if that doesnt work try We-ef.

I am using this we-ef fixture to produce a 30 foot spread 150 feet out for security on a scuba boat. I'm mounting the light on top of a building and shining the beam just in front of the boat and will use reflected light to highlight the boat mostly. Not to mention it may get people to sign up for scuba lesson (sales) as the main dining area is within site of the boat.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Vision3 Vision3 Vision3

Vison3 does not offer a dual ballast canopy mount for the wm10 fixture but they say they will have it in 2009.

Back to the drawing board.

John Pletcher
05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
James: Its been awhile since I have been on here. Good to see you are up to something good.

NightScenes
05-15-2008, 04:33 PM
It's good to see you John!

John Pletcher
05-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks. From the look of this forum, everyone is having fun. We are finishing up a 75 fixture job Monday and then jumping into another one just as big. Nice houses with huge water features and outdoor living areas.

Has anyone heard of Attraction Lights out of Ridgeway, CO?