PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish

TRBIGCREEK
05-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Anyone ever seen crayfish in man made stream?

TR

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-08-2008, 12:24 AM
No! but I plan on introducing them when my backyard pond is done. Playing in the creeks and catching crawdads is what got me into this business.

macaw
05-08-2008, 07:11 AM
I don't know about man made. But I have a natural creek that has them and they go under ground where ever there is water. Got holes all around my yard you learn to just live with them. I would not put them in my pond they will dig holes everywhere.

TRBIGCREEK
05-08-2008, 08:06 AM
That's my concern. I know they dig little caves to winter over in and wouldn't want my stream liner ruined. Does anyone know of crayfish in a liner stream?

TR

macaw
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
As far as I know, I have never heard of a crawfish comming up thru a liner. However, once they do get into the stream or pond (they can also walk over land) they will eat the roots of your plants.

TRBIGCREEK
05-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Will they burrow through the liner once in the stream?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Will they burrow through the liner once in the stream?

I didn't even consider this aspect. I was just going to build a lot of shelves for them to hide under, but I might just leave them to the natural streams.

MarkoB
05-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I think I'd put up a "stay away" fence:)

If they get to happy they make many little buddies, many buddies mean you'll never have enough in the way of caves, and they love to munch. Don't know as a fact but I bet they raise havoc with a liner in time.

I have a natural creek out back - never had so many around as the last 3 years. Weather and cycle I guess. Got more craws than skeeters - and that's mighty hard to do around here.