PDA

View Full Version : speedzone or 3 way

silverscapes
05-07-2008, 11:52 PM
which do you prefer do i need to change to 3 way when temps get warmer or can i stay speedzone its a little pricey

TLS
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Cant really say for much warmer temps....

But I finished up my supply of Speedzone on April 25th. The ones I sprayed w/ Speedzone, the dandi's are smoked.....totally no evidence of them even being there. The ones I sprayed with Triplet LO are all curled, but some are still yellow and the ones that aren't went to seed. They'll likely die (I certainly hope so!), but this is coming up on two weeks and they're still there!

I am using a Permagreen Magnum and was mixing at 56 oz per tankful. I mixed the Triplet at 60oz.

Not to hi-jack, but to add to Silverscapes question....anyone using it all year with a Magnum?

somo1
05-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I've had to drop back to 1.0-1.2 oz. of amine formulas during the summer to avoid burning lawns. I try to only spot spray if necessary so that I don't burn. Its all about your daytime temps right now, if you are getting alot of rain (like we are) you can mix hotter because the grass will outgrow the herb. burn. But be careful.

mikesturf
05-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Speedzone all the way! Customers love the quick results. Well worth the extra price compared to call backs. Rain safe in a few hours after applying too.

Shades of Green LService
05-08-2008, 11:01 PM
If you want better clover and wild violet control, go w/ speed zone. 3 way works great on chick, dandi's and spurge. So both have a purpose in my truck.

Whitey4
05-09-2008, 12:28 AM
I used a 3 way spiked with QuickSilver.... which is basically what Speedzone is, on Monday. I figure I got the mix just right. Some small patches of stressed turf, and a fast kill on dandy's, chickweed and a quite a few other weeds, including wild geranium and violet. Nice and yellow looking weeds now. I like to see some slightly stressed turf.... not burnt, just a wee bit stressed. Means I got the app mix just right. Any more, I damage turf, and less, and it means another app.

I am using a backpack sprayer on smaller plots.... the big tank guys may have a different take on things.

TLS
05-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Nobody has mentioned if they use it during warmer spells.

lilmarvin4064
05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Forget both of them and get some Momentum or Battleship (or something with triclopyr and/or fluroxypyr). I just stopped using SpeedZone and I don't think I will use it again except for select purposes. I sprayed some wild violet and creeping speedwell TWICE with it and got NOTHING. I swear the weeds were laughing at me. I sprayed the creeping speedwell again with Momentum and it's turning brown after 2 days.

love the pyridines

Rlclawnguy
05-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of Speedzone and switched to it about 3 years ago and cant switch to anything else because the results are worth the extra money. My customers look at their neighbors lawn who was done by TGCL and I don't have to worry about my customer running to them. The results are fast and gets most stuff the first time. The only service calls I have are when I did a lawn when it was to short or when I do a lawn before they start to grow and the spring up after I leave. I use it all season long till about 85-90 with no problems. I might lower it a bit but Im running it at about 1.3-1.5 oz/k in most cases. This product sets us aside from a lot of our competition!

RigglePLC
05-09-2008, 08:40 PM
As I recall the active ingredient is Carfentrazone (Product Quicksilver). It does not list violets on the label. Nor spurge, nor oxalis--UNLESS- it is mixed with another product, like three way.

americanlawn
05-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Chaser (ester) is safer on turf than most amine 3-ways --- even in the hot summer. (2,4D + triclopyr). Since it does not contain dicamba, it's also safe under redbuds, mulberries, etc. It guns down weeds like nobody's business. Only prob....it's pricey.

mikesturf
05-09-2008, 09:40 PM

I use Surge, which like SpeedZone is made by PBI Gordon. Great quick acting weed killer.

Whitey4
05-10-2008, 12:36 AM
As I recall the active ingredient is Carfentrazone (Product Quicksilver). It does not list violets on the label. Nor spurge, nor oxalis--UNLESS- it is mixed with another product, like three way.

I used a 2-4,D three way with Quicksilver.... and the wild violets had a two day kill. So did the wild geraniums. Both weeds are usualyy tough to kill, but this combo worked great for me. With Speedzone, the carfentrazone % is pre-determined. I prefer to mix it with my 3 way as I see fit, and it seems to be more effective.

greendoctor
05-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Chaser (ester) is safer on turf than most amine 3-ways --- even in the hot summer. (2,4D + triclopyr). Since it does not contain dicamba, it's also safe under redbuds, mulberries, etc. It guns down weeds like nobody's business. Only prob....it's pricey.

On warm season turf, triclopyr is a no-no. Wish I could use it, because triclopyr is the best on oxallis and prostrate spurge. But I have no problems with a safe rate of 2,4-D ester on bermuda and zoysia. I do not bother with Trimec amine. By the time I have put down enough Trimec and added enough surfactant to make it work, the lawn is hurting more than the weeds. It is interesting how safe Speedzone Southern is on centipede and st augustine. Usually those grasses are treated with a three-way that is low 2,4-D and high MCPP. In my area, MCPP is useless, I do not have much true clover in lawns. I know ester is volatile, however the only time I saw vapor damage on non-target plants is when I sprayed it on a lawn and it went over 90 and there was no wind at all. Using this in zero wind conditions can actually be very hazardous to surrounding plants. If I am worried about root uptake, Trimec with its dicamba amine is not attractive. Amine formulations of herbicides are totally water soluble and highly mobile in soil. I have heard of 2,4-D amine moving downward enough to damage trees. BTW, you usually need less ester to get the same result compared to amine. That is why I always use either Speedzone or ester, it kills the weeds at a low dose the lawn can tolerate. For me pricey herbicides are worth it in terms of client retention and aquisition. I am known as the one who can kill weeds the "landscapers" have not been able to control without marking up the lawn. It is a rare occasion that I must do an unplanned respray of a lawn due to weeds not dying when they were supposed to. The neighbors of my clients are starting to ask "who does your lawn". I do not advertise or solicit in any way. Again, I do not think the chemical nazis need to know there is a business like mine in existence here.

lawnproslawncare
05-10-2008, 08:39 AM
you guys ever try momentum from lesco? I have and love it

causalitist
05-11-2008, 03:30 PM
are you two guys that mentioned momentum referring to momentum fx2 ??

greendoctor
05-11-2008, 03:47 PM

I am broadcast spraying Speedzone on warm season turf at up to 1.5 oz per M at temperatures up to 90. No problems, however all of the turf is fertilized by me and the irrigation system is adjusted and managed by me. The lawn is not under stress. Read the labels on most postemergent herbicides. There is usually a warning about applying to stressed turf.

TLS
05-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I am broadcast spraying Speedzone on warm season turf at up to 1.5 oz per M at temperatures up to 90. No problems, however all of the turf is fertilized by me and the irrigation system is adjusted and managed by me. The lawn is not under stress. Read the labels on most postemergent herbicides. There is usually a warning about applying to stressed turf.
Speedzone or Speedzone Southern?

jbturf
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
i tried speed zone for the 1st time today,
i was treating a 7 acre property, by the time i was done -the areas i treated
1st were already curling and wilting- mostly the suculant weeds
pretty happy with those results

greendoctor
05-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Speedzone or Speedzone Southern?

Speedzone Southern goes down at 1.5 per M and regular Speedzone is used at 1 oz. per M. Higher AI, so less is needed. I do not spot spray. It is all applied through either a single fan mounted on a wand or a multiple nozzle walking boom at 1 gallon per M.

naughty62
05-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Amine three way is our norm ,but it has been so wet and cool I carry a BP of cool power to hit the hard to kill weed patchs .exspecially on newer clients lawns .