PDA

View Full Version : Just measured commerrrcial job. Need price help.

brentsawyer
12-13-2001, 05:29 PM
Heres the scoop. I have been doing residential properities only up until now. I have also always been solo but I will hire one helper to weed, edge, blow and use 52" WB and 36" WB. I just bought a 52" Turf TIger and don't know how fast it will mow in normal spring/summer mowing. I am accustomed to running 52"WB as primary mower in average $30 yards and making $50/hr. I live in Lexington, KY.

I just measured a property that is approx. 2.44 acres (grass). I inclued 10% fudge factor. I divided it up as 1.4 acres easy/field mowing, .87 acres moderate with some trees, .17 acres hard, detailed mowing. It also has 2672' total of edging of sidewalks and curbs.

I need a price for mowing and fertilizing, I came up with $116 for mowing, $178 for fertilizing from some formulas found here, seems low. I also need a price if anyone can help with the parking lot, it is 1.7 acres. I don't have to plow this winter, however next winter, I hope to..

Thanks

Runner
12-13-2001, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry, Brent. There's just no way it can be done, without seeing it. We have no idea what you're using on it, you're operating expenses, the distance traveled, etc.. There's just no way of telling. It's different for everyone.

brentsawyer
12-13-2001, 06:56 PM
Forget operating expenses, all equip paid for except truck, besides, I feel that is an interior cost and has nothing to do with pricing. Travel time is covered because I was given price currently paid by another commercial job down the street @$406/month. I think that I can cover $8-10,000 on the two. I just need a rough estimate at what others would charge, like I said, I'm new to commercial mowing and have stayed away until now because I didn't have the time to devote full time. Just picture a fairly flat landsacpe with little hills, less than 10' and shoot some #'s at me.

Thanks

65hoss
12-13-2001, 07:13 PM
Guestimate sight unseen:
2 people take about 1.5 hrs tops.
$135

Other services possible
Mulch work: $65 per yard needed
Time for shrubs
sale them aeration

kris
12-13-2001, 07:26 PM
Sorry Brent... I just don't see the logic in asking folks on here to price a job for you..
Without going into a big speel here... Use numbers from other properties you mow... should give ya a good idea of the time it will take you.. you know your expences and what the approx going rate is in your area.. times your hourly rate by how long it will take.. you did not mention any shrub beds etc.. will there be weeding and pruning?
Sort of scares me when folks say..my equipment is payed for... Hope your recovering money each hour to replace it when it's life is over... good luck with the bid .

Randy Scott
12-13-2001, 07:30 PM
"Forget operating expenses, all equip paid for except truck, besides, I feel that is an interior cost and has nothing to do with pricing"

Uuuh, what? I am not sure on what you mean here. Please explain. Will this equipment last forever? You think your operating costs have nothing to do with pricing? Please explain how this works.

kris
12-13-2001, 07:50 PM
Randy,

easy man ... lol

oh ok... i see you did a edit..lmao

lost mountain
12-13-2001, 08:38 PM
Take your 2.44 acres = 43,560 sq. ft. and then divide that by one of your residential properties - maybe you have one that's 15,000 sq. ft of turf or 10,000 or whatever.... 43,560 divided by 15,000 = 2.904 X what you charge on the 15,000 sq. ft. job per visit

You have some gauge from that math and then you can adjust because you're the one who's seen the property and it's particulars (like the edging, parking lot, etc.) and also you might need to adjust for a "bulk discount" because it's so big but maybe you don't.

kutnkru
12-13-2001, 08:40 PM
Okay. I will humor you -LOL!!! Heres some basic figures for you to use as food for thought:

MOWING $202
62m/sf $1.50/m = $93
38m/sf $2.00/m = $76
08m/sf $3.75/m = $30

EDGING $21.00
$0.75 per 100/lf = $21

BACK-PACKS $7.00
1/3 cost of Trimming & Edging services

Total Mowing Price = $230

For your fert you could either charge them per acre according to your homeowners rates ($3.64/m) or $1.89/m sf based on multiple acreage sites.

If you broke it down according to a homeowners rate it would be (2) 44m/sf apps at $162 and (1) 17m/sf app at $70 for a combined total of $292 for 2.44 acres.

On the other hand if you are dealing with a tighter budget you could price this site Commercially at 1.89/m sf for a total of $204.12.

Hope this helps start them wheels a churnin' -LOL!!!

brentsawyer
12-13-2001, 09:14 PM
Before some of you slander me or others, try reading the entire post. I said that I JUST bought a Scag Turf Tiger and have soloed my entire life for the second time. New equipment=??TIME. Get it, Got it??? Thanks those who actually added something to the post.

PS I or anyone else can't apply a 10,000 sq/ft residential lawn using WB and apply it to a 2 1/2 acre property using ZTR's. Ever heard of Economies of Scale

brentsawyer
12-13-2001, 09:19 PM
What I meant Randy was that it dosen't make any difference if I am running $20,000 of equipment or $120,000 of equipment. The two make no difference in getting the job done as far as a customer is concerned and entering into a bid. I price my work out for the area and difficulty. I also don't figure the same $/Hr for a WB as a Z like some seem to think. I fit my equipment to the job and grow accordingly without taking on more than I have to. It is ONLY a competitive advantage in having less overhead, vice versa.

PS, Randy, do you think that a person with a finance degree would have learned something about recovering equipment costs? I thought so too.

MuskTurfKing
12-13-2001, 09:26 PM
Damn, take it easy, it's close to impossible to bid a property without seeing it. We don't know your direct costs, your overhead, production time, or anything. Don't get mad at us because we can't figure it out. You also did mention a second worker in your first post.

Hank

lost mountain
12-14-2001, 09:33 PM
"PS I or anyone else can't apply a 10,000 sq/ft residential lawn using WB and apply it to a 2 1/2 acre property using ZTR's. Ever heard of Economies of Scale"

1) Many of us were just trying to help.
2) I qualified what I said to some degree with this:
"You have some gauge from that math and then you can adjust because you're the one who's seen the property and it's particulars..."
3) If you've got bigger, more expensive equipment, does that mean that you'll give the customer a big discount because you'll be done quicker?

turfman59
12-15-2001, 03:41 PM
I think what you could do is start taking a hard look at yearly sales revenues, and compare them against totals hour worked.
You can come up with whats called a splh sales per labor hour.
This is a good average to work with you can just apply it towards your commercial lots. go one step farther and take total sales revenue and divide it against total mowing payroll you will get a good average on what you actually do all year long. Big jobs yeild some advantages with less stopping and starting to generate larger Revenues I sure everybody is using some sort of P and L statement quarterly or even monthly?? you can even let your foremen spend 15 minutes a week monitoring these numbers for you. you can track quickly seasonal trends and forecast for additional labor requirements down the road. Bruce

HOMER
12-16-2001, 07:54 AM
Sounds like it might take upwards of 2 hours with the trimming edging and cleanup. Based on a flat $60.00 an hour labor rate I would bid $120.00 per cut.

lee b
12-16-2001, 09:08 AM
I agree with Homer, $120.00 would be a good price for that job here.