PDA

View Full Version : Sand spurs....HELP!

jds720
05-08-2008, 08:19 AM
:hammerhead:is there anything that will get ride of these dang things!? I re-did my yard so my daughter could play in grass, and now the things are poping up like crazy!!

wrivers
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
:hammerhead:is there anything that will get ride of these dang things!? I re-did my yard so my daughter could play in grass, and now the things are poping up like crazy!!

If you have bermuda, you can spray with MSMA. If you have St. Augustine, you will have to control them with a pre-emerge next spring or ...wait for it...hand weed.

jds720
05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I have bahia

Ric
05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
I have bahia

JDS

Bahia can be chemically mowed with Roundup Original and as a result Sand Spurs and many others weeds are also controlled. The Big problem is the dead sand spurs will still be in the turf for a long time. Read the Roundup Original Label for rates and directions for chemical mowing. If this is not your yard or you don't trust yourself applying Roundup at Chemical mowing rates I can do it for you, since I am just a few towns south of you.

RAlmaroad
05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Do a search on Nutsedge--There's lots of info there. Roy

jds720
05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
will that kill the bahia? the spurs are green at the momnet, i use lesco prosocuter on weeds at my resi accounts, could i use that?

Ric
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
will that kill the bahia? the spurs are green at the momnet, i use lesco prosocuter on weeds at my resi accounts, could i use that?

JDS

I can't get into Lesco-JDL Website to read a Prosecutor Label. At one time Prosecutor was Roundup Original. Read the Roundup Original Label about Chemical mowing, I do it all the time.

No at Chemical mowing rates, you will not kill bahia. In fact Bahia is very hard to kill.

Call Jerry, Your Lesco branch guy. He is sharper than the average Lesco employee. Ask him if Prosecutor is in fact Roundup Original formulation.

jds720
05-08-2008, 11:32 AM
thanks! :cool2:

Ric
05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
JDS

Google "chemical mowing" you might be surprised at the results. However before you would want to offer this service, A lot of practice is needed to calibrate perfect with power equipment. Back Packing your own yard shouldn't require 2 to 3 oz of Roundup original. I have power equipment set up for chemical mowing.

BTW I tried to sell Chemical mowing to several of the Counties around us, for road & ride away. No luck, even if I could save them big bucks each year. Many Counties in North Florida Already chemically mow Road & ride aways at big cost savings.

Frontier-Lawn
05-09-2008, 11:07 AM
JDS

I can't get into Lesco-JDL Website to read a Prosecutor Label. At one time Prosecutor was Roundup Original. Read the Roundup Original Label about Chemical mowing, I do it all the time.

No at Chemical mowing rates, you will not kill bahia. In fact Bahia is very hard to kill.

Call Jerry, Your Lesco branch guy. He is sharper than the average Lesco employee. Ask him if Prosecutor is in fact Roundup Original formulation.

here ric i have labels for all products i use on my comp.

Ric
05-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Dave

Thanks for the label.

JDS

After reading it quickly it looks like Prosecutor is in fact Roundup original formulation like I said. You can Chemically Mow with it. Read the whole label, but look at pages 16, 19 & 23. The Roundup original label gives more details about chemical mowing.

Looking at Road & Ride Away Chemical Mowing for Government. There are approx 5 acres per mile of turf if it is 20 ft wide on each side of the road. At the low rate of 20 gallons per acre that means a 100 gallons of mixed spray per mile. To make any production, you need to haul one heck of a lot of water. I have some neighbors and my self I chemically mow. Now even with the big increase in Roundup costs, Chemical mowing is still economical if you only want low maintenance turf. A small 12v boom sprayer can be easily done with your mower. If larger acreage properties that desire low cost maintenance is a market you might want to check out. this is warm season Bermuda and Bahia turfs only from my personal experience. This is bush hog type fields or utility turf.