PDA

View Full Version : Aches & Pains!

sheppard
12-14-2001, 08:48 AM
Need some advice- after my first season in this business I'm getting a repetative injury in my right elbow. Think it's from holding the trimmer and always turning to my right on my belt driven WB. By the end of the day my elbow is throbbing and stays that way throught the night.

Any one have any advice on ways to 'fix this problem'? I'll entertain anything from yoga to Cajun remedies to fix this thing. (Beer and wine only work for the moment).

Cordially,
Sheppard

GroundKprs
12-14-2001, 09:08 AM
What's your doctor's diagnosis?

gunputt
12-14-2001, 10:50 AM
Ice pack and vioxx. Drink lots of water if you take vioxx.

Turfdude
12-14-2001, 11:31 AM
For the type of pain you have (probably tendon related), I see a lot of people using a thin velcro band on their forearm just below the elbow. Put the band on, pull tight and go to work.

I think it may be a married man syndrome too.:blob2:

Bob

awm
12-14-2001, 11:45 AM
u mite could make your circomference strip wider ,an just make left turns. also a support or band that u could rest your right arm in while trimming might work.also u might consider the little featherlite trimmer until your arm recovers.

scott's turf
12-14-2001, 11:50 AM
Hire someone to mow for you. Sounds like you are working too hard.

sheppard
12-14-2001, 12:30 PM
Would rather not spend the $$$ on a Doctor yet- would prefer to get acure rather than pay an M.D. to tell me what to do. Yep I'm married and not getting enouph... but that's another story. I'll try the other stuff & see if it works. Love hard work- makes me sleep good at night. Just don't want to be incapasitated in 5 years!

Cordially,
S.

Fantasy Lawns
12-14-2001, 12:40 PM
get rid of the pistol grips n go hydro ..... otherwise lots of ice packs

Runner
12-14-2001, 04:09 PM
It's important to know exactlly where this injury is, to know what type it is. Is it below the arm, where the actual elbow is, or is it on top like at the crook of your arm but on the top side (ex. when you hopld your arm out, and raise the back of your hand towards you.) THIS is the most common type. It is strain. I also get it from doing overhand curls with the weights. If this is the case, the strap, like the one described above will be suitable, and it's PROBably cause from you trimmer. You are able to do exercises (low weight/high rep) that will build this up and prevent future strain on it. I get it all the time, and massage it out, and work it to build it back up properly.

Dennis
12-14-2001, 05:09 PM
I had the same kind of trbl. went to Doc. it was/is tennis elbow,gave me cortizone shot next day it was fine....1 week later trimming shrubs, I was holding gas trimmers out to get to mid of shrubs and I felt a snap/crack in my elbow area...bad pain, just because it feels better does not mean it is ok...
Tennis and golfers elbow and all related tendon ligamint pains take a long time to heal , mine is still hurting after 2 months.
SEE a DOCTOR so you can know for sure, you could injure yourself for life.
Dennis

yardmonkey
12-14-2001, 09:23 PM
I have been battling various aches and pains since I started in the business a year and a half ago. You can find tons of info and ideas on my website here:
http://www.ionet.net/~tslade/hands.htm
I'm still dealing with it and trying to figure it all out. Its not always so easy to understand and even if you understand it, it may not be easy to fix it. I don't suggest going to see a doctor. They will probably misdiagnose you and will probably not be able to help much. They may even harm you with what they prescribe and they may scare you and even suggest surgery. They may also suggest quit doing the work you are doing.

The best book to get for this kind of stuff is Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitve Strain Injuries by Sharon Butler. Many more books are listed on my website. I have built 3 new bookcases this year just to hold all the books I have aquired studying this stuff. I'm actually considering giving lectures about it. I had the exact same thing you describe for about 4 months this spring. I thought it would never go away. One thing that helped a lot was going to a massage therapist. You may want to try several. You can also massage yourself using various tools. Now that my elbow is not hurting anymore I have started to get more into strength training, but this is probably not a good idea while the elbow is hurting. Even working with very light weights can make it worse. If you get to the point of working with weights, I recommend getting a couple of books by Stuart McRobert - The Insiders Tell-All Guide to Weight Training Technique and Beyond Brawn. These are not therapeutically oriented but are the best books I have found on weight training in general. You'll have to order them. I also like a new book, Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. You can find it in bookstores. And it is important to work on the whole body, not just the arms. Chest and shoulders may be especially important. For now, you want to work with stretching (Sharon Butler, yoga, tai chi, qigong) and massage. There are many kinds of bodyworkers that do all kinds of massage. You don't have to buy stacks of books like I did (I just find this really interesting, plus I'm determined to heal myself) but investing in some good books will pay off. Drugs will not help, surgery will disable you, splints are not the answer, coritsone can bring quick relief but is very destructive. A couple of other especially good books - Pain Free by Pete Egoscue and Muscle Pain Relief in 90 Seconds by Dale Anderson. Once you get this under control, don't think it can't come back. So you want to get serious about getting your body all straightened out. Most people have a lot of deep chronic tension throughout their bodies. Many people do this work with no problems and others have lots of problems with various amounts of work. I think it should be possible for anyone to adjust to the work, but it may not be easy. One thing I did was switch to a 4-cycle weedeater (less vibration). I chose Robin over Honda since it is lighter. Please get Sharon Butler's book. It will explain a lot and give you a lot of things to work with. Good luck with it!

GroundKprs
12-14-2001, 11:54 PM
Don't tell me that the only real doctors in the country are in Indiana????????

I have had carpal tunnel for 30 years, and my doc just checks hands each year to make sure there is no muscle atrophy; if there ever is, only then will he push for me to have the surgical correction. He has helped me learn how to manage it thru the years. At one time I had indications of onset of tennis elbow, and he gave me fact sheet and exercise instruction sheet to control that problem.

And sure there are a lot of books written about all kinds of subjects. I can't believe all the drivel I read 20 years ago when I was trying to learn about lawn care. People write books to sell their ideas, but what about science and what it has learned about life and the human body? Doesn't anyone value that?

To try to fix it really easy, why not go to any search engine and type in "voodoo"?

jeffex
12-15-2001, 07:37 AM
get a bottle of Alieve and a Toro T-bar wb or a z rider save the pistol grips for your helpers

GrassChopper
12-15-2001, 09:05 AM
I had the same exact thing. I used the strap on the forearm and it helped tremendously. It is a form of tendonitis most likely (tennis elbow). The strap will allow you to continue work and take the pressure off of the tendon.