PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a herbacide?

creedua
05-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Had a customer ask me today if there is a product that can be used in his vegetable garden, instead of him using a hoe or tiller to remove the weeds.

tremor
05-08-2008, 11:27 PM
We use Glyphosate in our competition grade giant pumpkin patch. Just gotta watch for drift.

Trifluralin is also available for consumer vegetable gardens Have him look for Preen for vegetables.

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Most selective herbicides kill dicotyledons (while sparing the monocotyledons) - which includes most veggies... But you can spray anything you want if you can avoid the desirable plants.

crab
05-09-2008, 12:59 AM
JUST DONT EAT IT,and youre good.

Marcos
05-09-2008, 02:11 AM
instead of him using a ho to remove the weeds.

...not a very nice way to talk about the 'old lady' !! :laugh:

(All kidding aside)
A few of the more progressive neighbors around me have had a great deal of luck with their recycled "newspaper gardens".
They till the soil, smooth it out real well, plant seeds in rows and / or plant the plants, then they spead out 3-4 layers of damp newspapers (overlapping each other about 20-30% or so)...and they place the paper in very "strategic" locations, straddling somewhat the open rows of seed / plants.

Then they soak the paper down real good (so it doesn't blow around, obviously) This makes the paper "mold" to the soil.

I really noticed one newspaper garden a block or so away during an especially heavy rain a couple summers ago.
The newspaper it seemed actually helped to "wick in" the water to a degree vs. seeing so much muddy runoff, etc.

And obviously, NO weeds to speak of.
:)