PDA

View Full Version : New spray rig...need your input please.

CrystalCreek
05-09-2008, 12:43 AM
OK, I am a solo operator with liscense and all the trimming. I am making a new spary rig for myself. I have about 65 customers at about 5000 sq feet each. I will be installing two 50 gallon tanks on a small trailer. One tank is for non selective and the other will be for selective. Here is where I need your help. I am still undecided about pumps. I have narrowed it down to two choices. One option would be to power with a small 4 hp engine with 4 roller pump. This is a unit set up, so I would need to buy two of these. The other option I though of was an electric set up. I have found a 200 PSI 12 volt pump, about 3 GPM. It might be nice to do some early morning spraying without the engine noise. If I want with the electric set up, I would build a battery box with serveral deep cycle batterys and a hook up to the truck so they will charge while driving. The 12 volt pump was seen on Northern tools. com. Please give me some ideas and advise.

RAlmaroad
05-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Before you get into all of that work, check out Lesco's space saver. And look at this. It is a little small but tou could adapt extra tanks easily.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329243_200329243&issearch=268173

CrystalCreek
05-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Before you get into all of that work, check out Lesco's space saver. And look at this. It is a little small but tou could adapt extra tanks easily.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329243_200329243&issearch=268173

Thank you for the input. The reasons for my design is because I have an old trailer sitting around that I need to put into work. The trailer is 4 foot wide be 6 foot long. I like the trailer idea because it allows me to hook and go, and keep the truck bed free for fertilizer and spreader equipment. I was going to buy the tanks from northerntools for about $125 each, and the 200 foot hoses for about $300. All of this would be perminately mounted to the trailer. All I need is the pumps. I did think of lesco space saver and other small skid spreayer setups but like I said, I'm solo. I can't lift those units into the truck by myself. Also I could build the trailer setup for about $1200, verses $1600 for each skid unit. Please keep the ideas coming guys.

humble1
05-09-2008, 06:49 PM
OK, I am a solo operator with liscense and all the trimming. I am making a new spary rig for myself. I have about 65 customers at about 5000 sq feet each. I will be installing two 50 gallon tanks on a small trailer. One tank is for non selective and the other will be for selective. Here is where I need your help. I am still undecided about pumps. I have narrowed it down to two choices. One option would be to power with a small 4 hp engine with 4 roller pump. This is a unit set up, so I would need to buy two of these. The other option I though of was an electric set up. I have found a 200 PSI 12 volt pump, about 3 GPM. It might be nice to do some early morning spraying without the engine noise. If I want with the electric set up, I would build a battery box with serveral deep cycle batterys and a hook up to the truck so they will charge while driving. The 12 volt pump was seen on Northern tools. com. Please give me some ideas and advise.

If you are using a two tank setup w/ different product I like the idea of electric. If your not doing fert, i think that 2 small tanks would work fine

RigglePLC
05-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Lesco makes a small electric set up 25 gal tank. Fimco also makes a similar unit. They run about 129 to 225 in cost. That should work for your first year. Then add a 100 gallon tank for your second year. Third year add a Honda motor and top quality pump. Roller pumps are cheap--but don't last long. Take a look at Gregson Clark. A sponsor.

And you will need an electric reel with 300 feet of hose.

americanlawn
05-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Have you considered Hypro diaphram pumps? We like the D-30 powered by a Honda engine.

Leaf Jockey
05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
If you're set on the idea of building from scratch it shouldn't be hard to power two pumps from one engine. Put an electric clutch on each pump or use a simple mechanical belt tensioner that rocks between the two pumps. As for the noise of the engine you can use a car muffler. I've done this to keep generators quiet. Mount the muffler under the trailer and nobody will get burned.

Scott

Terraformer
05-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm pretty sure 12 volt diaphragm pumps (3 - 3.8 GPM) are limited to 50 ft. of hose, because the pressure drops off radically after that point.

CrystalCreek
05-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I appreciate everyones replies. I think that I am going to use the gas pump set up. I will use rollor pumps. I know they are cheap, but easy to replace and I do a limited amount of spraying. I found a pump and engine comb on agrisupply.com. 3.5 HP briggs with a 4 rollor pump. 150 psi with 4 GPM. I hope they work. Each setup will cost about $350. I know it is more expensive, but will probably work and last longer.

RigglePLC
05-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Notice they don't say 150 lbs AT 4 gpm. That is because pump companies are sometimes optimistic about performance. Usually its 4 gpm at 5 pounds pressure. Or 1 GPM at 150 pounds--but not both. Remember you only have 3.5 hp to begin with. Read the specifications carefully and skeptically. And then allow for about 75 percent performance in the second year as the wear factor kicks in.

rcreech
05-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Here is the outfit we made this winter. Pics are before it was finished.

Works AWESOME!

I run a 3 tank system (2- 50 gallon tank and a 20 gallon tank) so I can carry water (for my PG), spray insecticide and then I use the 20 gallon tank for herbicide use only.

This system is setup so that the (water/insect) side has its own pump and hose reel and the herbicide tank has its own pump and hose reel.

Long story short...I only use electric motors.

CrystalCreek
05-11-2008, 01:31 AM
Here is the outfit we made this winter. Pics are before it was finished.

Works AWESOME!

I run a 3 tank system (2- 50 gallon tank and a 20 gallon tank) so I can carry water (for my PG), spray insecticide and then I use the 20 gallon tank for herbicide use only.

This system is setup so that the (water/insect) side has its own pump and hose reel and the herbicide tank has its own pump and hose reel.

Long story short...I only use electric motors.

Please tell more, this is exactly what I was thinking of. What kind of pumps do you use and how much did they cost. Where did you get them. How much hose can you run with these. Do you run off batteries or truck engine. Please answer me, I crave information. Thanks.

rcreech
05-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Please tell more, this is exactly what I was thinking of. What kind of pumps do you use and how much did they cost. Where did you get them. How much hose can you run with these. Do you run off batteries or truck engine. Please answer me, I crave information. Thanks.

I will have to look at the pumps as I can't remember the name. I bought four of them a couple years back and they work great! I think someone on here earlier in the year looked them up and they were like $700 each, but I got them at a "garage sale" price.

I run 300 ft of hose on each one of the hose reels. I just ran wires off the battery to the back of the truck.

If you need any additional info let me know! I am VERY HAPPY with the unit and the versatility this unit gives me. With the price of gas....I can do a perimeter pest, spray a lawn and do other things all in one stop!

Ric
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
I will have to look at the pumps as I can't remember the name. I bought four of them a couple years back and they work great! I think someone on here earlier in the year looked them up and they were like $700 each, but I got them at a "garage sale" price.

I run 300 ft of hose on each one of the hose reels. I just ran wires off the battery to the back of the truck.

If you need any additional info let me know! I am VERY HAPPY with the unit and the versatility this unit gives me. With the price of gas....I can do a perimeter pest, spray a lawn and do other things all in one stop!

CrystalCreek

I will second rcreech and the 12V pumps for low volume herbicide work. You won't need much of a Battery unless you use a Power rewind reel. I have a Tanker truck with a PTO driven 25 gpm pump for Fert and insecticide. But I do all my Herbicide work with 12V Shurflow or Flow Jet pumps. They push a 300ft 3/8" hose with no problem. I also do some Aquatic work from a small one man bass type boat. A regular car battery pushes the 40lb Thrust Trolling motor and the 12V pump for several day without recharging.

As for Trailer I will also give a big Thumbs up. I have a 5 X 10 with two lesco 50 gallon Skid sprayers and D 19 4 Hp motors. I pull the Trailer with my 27 MPG Ranger instead of a 14 MPG Cabover. While this is not my main unit, I sure like the cost effectiveness of it for special jobs that come up from time to time. It cost me about $ 22.00 a year for license plates and no extra Insurance. It sure beats the cost of an other Truck.

Disadvantage of small 12V pumps is lack of high PSI and GPM, But Herbicide work is Low PSI and GPM. While 12V Pumps are very good on day to day maintenance, when they stop working you must replace them. However at their cost I keep a spare on hand at all times. I like to buy the ones with the fast snap connects for quick change out in the field. I can get several years out of most of them, but sometimes they won't last 6 month.

CrystalCreek
05-11-2008, 08:06 PM
CrystalCreek

I will second rcreech and the 12V pumps for low volume herbicide work. You won't need much of a Battery unless you use a Power rewind reel. I have a Tanker truck with a PTO driven 25 gpm pump for Fert and insecticide. But I do all my Herbicide work with 12V Shurflow or Flow Jet pumps. They push a 300ft 3/8" hose with no problem. I also do some Aquatic work from a small one man bass type boat. A regular car battery pushes the 40lb Thrust Trolling motor and the 12V pump for several day without recharging.

As for Trailer I will also give a big Thumbs up. I have a 5 X 10 with two lesco 50 gallon Skid sprayers and D 19 4 Hp motors. I pull the Trailer with my 27 MPG Ranger instead of a 14 MPG Cabover. While this is not my main unit, I sure like the cost effectiveness of it for special jobs that come up from time to time. It cost me about $ 22.00 a year for license plates and no extra Insurance. It sure beats the cost of an other Truck.

Disadvantage of small 12V pumps is lack of high PSI and GPM, But Herbicide work is Low PSI and GPM. While 12V Pumps are very good on day to day maintenance, when they stop working you must replace them. However at their cost I keep a spare on hand at all times. I like to buy the ones with the fast snap connects for quick change out in the field. I can get several years out of most of them, but sometimes they won't last 6 month.

Ric,

I am so thankfully for your info, but I need more. Where did you get these pumps. I noticed the name sureflow. Are these the same as the one's sold in Northern Tools? Please let me know.

Ric
05-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Ric,

I am so thankfully for your info, but I need more. Where did you get these pumps. I noticed the name sureflow. Are these the same as the one's sold in Northern Tools? Please let me know.

CrystalCreek

Yes Northern and Tractor Supply both have the ShurFlow 12V pumps

Tractor Supply now has a store about 4 miles from my house. So I am buying my pumps there. I think Tractor supply carries a better pump than Northern. They have Cooling fans, On Off switch and in line fuse, Something I don't see on the northern models.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&in_dym=1&Nty=1&D=than&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=shurflo%20pump&cmnosearch=true&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=I-search%20(Google%20Adwords)&cm_pla=waterpumps&cm_ite=shurflo%20pump

rcreech
05-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I would think that those little pumps wouldn't last very long using them all the time. They are a pretty light pump arn't they?

But I think they are $70-80 so I guess they don't have to last too long!

tlg
05-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I appreciate everyones replies. I think that I am going to use the gas pump set up. I will use rollor pumps. I know they are cheap, but easy to replace and I do a limited amount of spraying. I found a pump and engine comb on agrisupply.com. 3.5 HP briggs with a 4 rollor pump. 150 psi with 4 GPM. I hope they work. Each setup will cost about $350. I know it is more expensive, but will probably work and last longer.

I think you may be a little ahead of yourself here. Think first about the rates you will be applying at, the amount per thousand sq ft, the pressure required, the gallons per minute out of the gun. all these factors will play into spray rig design. I doubt that a 3.5 hp briggs will produce enough flow to supply any decent length of hose. Your set up with a 50 gal tank at 4 gpm will be empty in 12.5 minutes. A very simple spray rig can be set up using a centrifugal pump and at least an 8 hp engine. At 58 psi applying at 1gal per 1000 sq ft and 1 3/4 gallons per minute. This also keeps constant pressure through 400 feet of 3/8 hose. Of course this is just an example of what can be done. Your set up will have to be determined and calibrated by your walking speed and the desired rate. List all the things you will need this rig to do. Don't under build it. It will cost you more to upgrade latter. Just some ideas. Good Luck.

Ric
05-12-2008, 12:29 AM
I would think that those little pumps wouldn't last very long using them all the time. They are a pretty light pump arn't they?

But I think they are $70-80 so I guess they don't have to last too long!

rcreech

I have gotten two more years out of those pumps. Yes I also said sometimes they go bad in under 6 months. But for a gallon per Thousand Herbicide application they are perfect IMHO.