PDA

View Full Version : Pond Start Up

lehrjetmx
05-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey guys-
My neighbor has a pond and she has made several calls to have it opened. Everyone tells her 3-4 weeks. So she saw me digging my pond and asked me to start her up. After draining the pond and removing the leaves I cleaned the pumps, filter, lines and linear with fresh water. Filled the pond with fresh water and now need to add the chemicals. What do you guys recommend? Is there anything else that I should do that you guys recommend as well. I have read a couple articles about start ups along with the owners manual for the pump and filter.
Just trying to do the nice neighborly thing she watches my kids while i'm out on calls.
Thanks guys

TRBIGCREEK
05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I would add some Savio starter bacteria or Microblift starter bacteria. Also you'll need to check her plant and fish load. Maybe add some anacharis.

TR

lehrjetmx
05-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks-
She doesn't have anything in the pond. Come to think of it she's never had any fish in that sucker. She has it just for the waterfall feature.

SOS Landscaping
05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
what kind of water did you clean the filters with? if it was city water then you most likely did more harm then good and killed all the beneficial bacteria because of the chlorine and other chemicals in city water. If there is going to be no fish load then I would not worry. Add some chlorine remover, and the water is good to go. With no bio load from fish the filters will no be doing much. What filters are you using?

Lynden-Jeff
05-11-2008, 12:19 AM
I would add a biological supplement and some pond barley to nip the alage problems before they start.

Cheers