PDA

View Full Version : LIFESPAN OF TORO WB's

LAWNS AND MOWER
12-14-2001, 01:19 PM
I've been using a Toro 44inch Proline for 6 seasons and have seriously been considering getting a new one in the spring. This mower has been a charm for me and has never deserted me. What's the average lifespan ya'll have experienced with these?

Thanks!!
Lawns and Mower

Richard Martin
12-14-2001, 02:42 PM
Hmm.... You say the mower has never given you any trouble? I'll assume you like the way it cuts. It's paid for (another assumption). It does the job day after day.

Keep the mower regardless of age.

Some mowers just keep going on and on like the Energizer Bunny.

When the mower starts costing you money, and I'm talking major money, then you should start to look around for something new.

stslawncare
12-14-2001, 02:43 PM
as with any piece of equipment, proper maintenance and care it will last forever.

Evan528
12-14-2001, 03:34 PM
When it comes to belt drive walk behinds, I think can easily last a very long time. If it cuts nice and you like the way it operates i would just run it till the engine dies then replace the engine for 800 bucks and have almost a new machine( a new tranny is only 150 bucks also). Most parts for a walkbehind are very inexpensive and easy to fix so i feel its worth holding on to them!

awm
12-14-2001, 05:12 PM
my advice would be similar to previous answers.
at 6 yrs u may be feeling worn spindles etc.
still if its got the cut an still fits your buisiness id keep it

groundsguy1970
12-14-2001, 06:14 PM
Just wash it off if you drive it down salted roads! Ya don't want it to rust out! ;)

65hoss
12-14-2001, 06:27 PM
Sounds like you are just getting it broke in. :blob3:

edward hedrick
12-14-2001, 08:02 PM
I bought my 44 Toro w 11 briggs 1988. Replaced the Engine 1994
w a 14 Vanguard. Sold to homeowner 2000. Check grease in trans yearly, I put some weight in the frame to help keep down.
Cut wet grass better than my scag. The Scag mulched leaves better. Keep it for your backup or small area mower. When
you buy the rider it makes more flexible. The rider for you the Toro
for the helper

MATTHEW
12-14-2001, 09:26 PM
Mine is a 1983 model!!! It runs excellent. I have replaced the wheels, though. And I put a 15hp Kohler command on it. The tranny has to get a new shaft every year because I use a velkie.
Yes, there are expenses to it. But, the deck has no rust and stripes very nicely. The thing about the new Toro's is that the weight distribution is uneven. The tranny's are junk. There are 5 gears, but they are thinner and break. Mine are still good after 19 years. If you want more speed, get the bigger engine and larger tires.

luv of green
12-14-2001, 10:24 PM
I JUST TODAY PURCHASED A 36 INCH TORO W/12.5 KAW,,LATER TODAY I WENT TO A DEMO OF A WALKER 36 (THAT IS ONE BAD MACHINE 7,000$) THE GUY IN THE DEMO SAID THE TORO ONLY LASTED 100-1200 HOURS THE YOU HAVE TO REBUILD IT NO MATTER YOUR MAINTENANCE HABITS.

Mark
12-14-2001, 10:44 PM
Im a firm believer in maintaining your equipment, im still useing a 9yr old Snapper 52" hydro 16HP=Vanguard which has made me alot of bucks, Ive replaced the tires and switches, regulator, and this yr is the first time i replaced the spindel bearings. I agree with Richard if its not costing a unreasonable amount to fix and still cuts great there is no reason to run out a spend dollars on a replacement. Just good business to cut your overhead as much as possible. Marks Mowing Service

65hoss
12-15-2001, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by luv of green
I JUST TODAY PURCHASED A 36 INCH TORO W/12.5 KAW,,LATER TODAY I WENT TO A DEMO OF A WALKER 36 (THAT IS ONE BAD MACHINE 7,000$) THE GUY IN THE DEMO SAID THE TORO ONLY LASTED 100-1200 HOURS THE YOU HAVE TO REBUILD IT NO MATTER YOUR MAINTENANCE HABITS.

Sounds like you found someone trying to blow smoke up you zzz. That should tell you not to deal with a person like that.

casey
12-15-2001, 12:29 AM
Total bull. I had a Toro 32 single blade that was retired with well over 1200 hrs., not due to maint but inferior cut.

scottt
12-15-2001, 12:51 AM
luv of green,
Sounds like someone wanted to sell you a walker and make some big $$$$. I would not deal with this person as they are not trying to help you at all, just trying to make some cash.

Albemarle Lawn
12-15-2001, 01:21 AM
Bought new JD walk behind in 1995, scrapped in 1998. Yes, scrapped, sold as parts.

Bought new JD in 1997, retired at the end of 1998.

Am I missing something here?

Or is John Deere green and yellow junk with a good name?

Ken

Richard Martin
12-15-2001, 03:21 AM
Albemarle,
I think maybe you should stop buying green and yellow. My 1990 Woods CM-36 single hydro is still being used as a backup mower by a friend of mine.

MOW ED
12-15-2001, 08:51 AM
I have a 97 Toro ProLine Hydro 44" w/15 kohler and I love it. It is a great wet grass mower and with the mulch plate and doubles, it is an unbelieveable leaf killer.

I had to replace an electric clutch (225.00) after 200 hours and I also had a starter solenoid go bad (15.00).

Off the bat I filled the front casters with foam as they were tubeless and kept popping the bead. It wasn't a full time front line mower for me until I added the boss to my crew this fall and so far its been a tough mower. I love the t-bar and so does my wife.
I would consider another one but I would also look hard at the Gravelys.

Kent Lawns
12-15-2001, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by MATTHEW
Mine is a 1983 model!!! It runs excellent.

Toro didn't even make walk-behinds until 1985. And yours is a 44" which was introduced in 1988. Your off by 5 years.

Did you buy yours new?

Albemarle Lawn
12-15-2001, 01:55 PM
Yes,

I have stopped buying green and yellow. The two walk behinds I mentioned were the older "Yellow Deck" JD walk behinds.

These both had transmission and weld failures.

The newer "Green Deck" JD's I have bought have been a world better. The 54" HD75 Hydro and 36" GS30 Belt have both been almost bullletproof.

But my early experience with JD has left my dubious of JD.

Gravely machines I have bought have been pretty good all in all.

Ken

Equipguy
12-15-2001, 02:39 PM
Why not run it until it doesn't go any more. If it still cuts well and down time isn't an issue just keep it mowing. Having a unit like that is money in the bank.

MATTHEW
12-15-2001, 03:49 PM
Kent lawns: I bought this used from a local lco. The date was given to me by the dealer who does the work for me. It IS a 44" belt drive, so apparently they were wrong. The serial # is almost completely worn off. Thanks for the info.

Kent Lawns
12-15-2001, 06:13 PM
No prob.
I was moderately involved with the Toro corp at the time of their development and know the intimate details regarding that line of equip during the 1980's.

Either way, they are a decent machine and will last quite a long time if properly maintained.

casey
12-15-2001, 06:41 PM
Kent Lawns,
What differences are their between the Toro floating hydro SFS WB's & the TTHP's besides the deck & control system? Same machine?

Kent Lawns
12-15-2001, 07:58 PM
They're 2 different machines, each built on their own assembly line.

The only ones that are the same machine is the Metro 32, 36 & 48 fixed deck: Same as Toros. Toro puts on a T-Bar and they're Toros' economy line.

lawrence stone
12-15-2001, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by casey
Total bull. I had a Toro 32 single blade that was retired with well over 1200 hrs., not due to maint but inferior cut.

Your nutz. My 32" with just a single hi lift blade even with the mulching plug installed yields nothing but a nice even sea of green with no visible wheel marks or striping.

I just ordered a 32" gator blade and am going to machine the cradle to safely accept double blades.

I will post some picks next year so you can have some crow.

Sometimes you have to tweak these machines for maximum output.

For instance my 62" WB had a large deck pulley for back in 1991 Toro was interested in decreasing deck noise. So what I have done is install a deck pulley from newer a 62" Z that is smaller in diameter.

Now that I was able to crank up the blade speed I put a 6" vs. the OEM 8" transmission input pulley. This picks my mph up 1.3 mph across all four speeds with a 6.5 mph top speed.

Sure its not as fast as the new ztrs but the quality of cut on a single pass on 9 day old wet thick bluegrass in Mid May is second to none.

Plus my machine is bought and paid for, uses .70 gal of gas an hour, and is either a stand up or sit down machine.

casey
12-15-2001, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

Your nutz.

Have found the 21"LB's more productive & versatile through small gates- cleaner discharge in heavy turf, less scalping on unneven or contoured terrain. Putting a belt drive on a unit designed for tight confines is also a catch-22. The new double bladed Viking hydro 32 should improve the reputation of the 32" as a high production mower.

MATTHEW
12-15-2001, 11:14 PM
Stone, that "transmission input pulley" Are you referring to the pulleys on a belt drive or a hydro. If the belt drive, do you mean the pulleys that put tension on the belts? How would that increase speed. Mine does OK, but I need just a little more-you know how it is.

Kent Lawns
12-16-2001, 12:55 AM
He referring to the pulley on the bottom of the transmission.

The standard ones are like 9". If you put a 6 or 7" one (and a smaller belt, of course) you'll gain a lot of speed and may even need to switch to lower gears at times.

Craig Jones
12-16-2001, 07:56 AM
We have an 86 36" Toro Proline and 93 52" Toro Proline and have no major expenses on them so far except for belts and transmission repairs due to running velkes. The 36" has a 12.5 Kawasaki and the 52" has a 16 HP Kohler Magnum. I have been looking for new ones but these are paid for and serving us well. So, unless they break down, I think we will stick with them for the time being.

Mr. Stone, thanks for the tip for upgrading the speed on the Prolines.

lawrence stone
12-16-2001, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Evan528
When it comes to belt drive walk behinds, I think can easily last a very long time. If it cuts nice and you like the way it operates i would just run it till the engine dies then replace the engine for 800 bucks and have almost a new machine( a new tranny is only 150 bucks also). Most parts for a walkbehind are very inexpensive and easy to fix so i feel its worth holding on to them!

$800 to replace an engine?

For $800 you can rebuild the whole machine.

There is a low hour used 12hp Kaw in MD for $250.

A new 12.5 ohv Tecumseh is $370 with free shipping..

Richard Martin
12-16-2001, 12:27 PM
I see Mr. X has been visiting the "other" website.

MATTHEW
12-16-2001, 03:02 PM
OK guys just humor me for a minute. If we are talking about the same machine, the shafts coming out of the side of the tranny gives you the speed of the side pulleys that drive the wheels and determine speed, right? The pulley under the tranny would be the one under the platform that holds the engine, right? Doesn't this pulley drive the belts? The blade speed would be faster, but how the wheel speed?

Richard Martin
12-16-2001, 03:50 PM
There are usually 2 pulleys mounted to the output (PTO) shaft of an engine. One pulley rotates the blades, the other pulley rotates the input shaft of the tranny. If you decrease the size of the pulley on the input shaft of the tranny you increase the rpms that the input shaft of the tranny turns relative to engine rpms thereby increasing ground speed. Simple isn't it?

MATTHEW
12-17-2001, 11:56 AM
Very. I rarely get under there to look around, but later that day the answer hit me. It was one of those times where I wished I could withdraw a post. But I can't. :blush:

Fareway Lawncare
02-24-2005, 07:35 PM
My Oldest Toro is a 15yr Old Belt Drive T-Bar...Did you Know a 2005 Toro Walk Has Exactly the Same Deck and is Almost Exactly Identical to that 15 yr. old Mower...Now that's Toro Progress for You.

Branchland
02-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Mine is a 1991 proline 52" hydro. Has over 1400 hours on it. No reapair work ever done to it by my knowledge. I bought it used.