PDA

View Full Version : postemergent herbicide question

C4chris70
05-09-2008, 06:07 PM
What can I spray over mexican petunias to kill dollarweed and sedges without harming the petunias? I was told by Lesco to spray Image, however it seemed to have no effect on the sedges while causing the mexican petunias to brown. The spray was mixed at a rate of .25oz per 3 gal as recommended. Any input would be appreciated.

PHS
05-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Is this the Image product you were using http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld3SG007.pdf ? I don't see Mexican Petunias on the label anywhere and a specific recommendation not to spray where you are going put in annual bedding plants within the year so that probably wasn't the best choice materials. I've found that you have to be really careful with information you get from salesman and double check it for yourself before applying it on a customers property. I think most are honestly trying to help you out but if they've never worked as an applicator before they're not speaking from experience.

If there isn't a selective material available I usually spot spray with round-up (very low pressure to minimize drift) or use a wick applicator. Another method for weed control in bedding plants is to keep irrigation to a minimum from right after they're planted. Let them develop a good root system early on and then when hot weather hits they don't have to be irrigated as much, H2O = seed germination. Dollarweed and sedges are prime indicator weeds that you're overwatering . Also planting the bedding area thicker can be a great weed control technique. Once the canopy grows together not much is getting through and you can easily pull those few that do.

C4chris70
05-10-2008, 10:20 AM
My label shows perrennials that are known to be tolerant to Image. Mexican petunia is not on the list, however it is also not on the list of plants not to spray. This is not an annual bed. Mexican petunia is a perrennial.

I have no control over the watering as this bed is in an odd shaped area surrounded by floritam sod. I have been pulling the weeds by hand, however even with a nice canopy it is taking an extra hour every other visit as weeds are very thick. Round up in this area is really not an option.

PHS
05-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Ah, Ruelia, definitely a perennial. I've lived in several different regions and sometimes common names throw me if I'm not paying attention, I just picture the wrong plant in my mind :). The image label is a little confusing. They throw in the part about specific plants that are severly damaged. Most labels just tell you what it's ok to use it on and leave it at that. If a selective material doesn't tell you specifically that you can use it on a particular crop, either test it first somewhere else or find another option.

If you can't adjust the irrigation that's tough. I'm sure the turf is being over-irrigated too if that's any help. Maybe raise your price to cover your time or drop them. You shouldn't have to eat the cost for their mistakes.

C4chris70
05-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes the label is a bit confusing. The strange thing is that the grass is actually very dry due to drought. Thanks for the input.