PDA

View Full Version : earthworms + Sevin

americanlawn
05-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Area golf courses apply Sevin (especially during the spring) to temporarily knock down the earthworm population to reduce bumpy turf. We use it to discourage mole activity, cuz Sevin is toxic to worms, yet is a fairly safe product (used in flea/tick shampoos for pets) . Anybody else use Sevin or similar products to knock down earthworms/nightcrawler population?

Marcos
05-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Look out !!

The environmental "TOXIC AVENGER" strikes again !!

:cool2:

ted putnam
05-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I am by no means an "organic" lawn guy but I kinda like seeing earthworm activity. They help loosen the soil and that to me is beneficial. While we do have moles here. They are generally not a major problem. I have used Sevin in the past for armyworm control. I've never sprayed it for the sole purpose of knocking back earthworm populations.My State paperwork states that I am licensed to treat for insects and diseases feeding on or damaging the lawn. Earthworms don't fit in that niche.

americanlawn
05-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I understand where you're coming from. Sevin is labeled for and effective on over 100 insects & mites for turf, trees, shrubs, vines, ground covers, vegetables, etc, etc. If your are licensed to treat turf only....here's some turf insects that Sevin is labeled for: ants, cutworms, sod webworms, army worms, aphids, grubworms, grasshoppers. There's a lot more. Sevin dust is commonly used on foods that humans eat (tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, and a whole lot more).

I am by no means an "organic" lawn guy but I kinda like seeing earthworm activity. They help loosen the soil and that to me is beneficial. While we do have moles here. They are generally not a major problem. I have used Sevin in the past for armyworm control. I've never sprayed it for the sole purpose of knocking back earthworm populations.My State paperwork states that I am licensed to treat for insects and diseases feeding on or damaging the lawn. Earthworms don't fit in that niche.

greendoctor
05-10-2008, 03:56 AM
If Cleary 3336 is applied at the root disease rate and watered in as per the label. There is usually a drastic decrease in earthworm activity. Try googleing "thiophanate methyl & earthworms" I know this chemical is actually labeled for this use in England. Unless you are trying to keep a putting green or bowling green, should not be a big deal if there are castings. Earthworms are active near the surface if the soil is heavy, poorly aerated and overwatered. Instead of using Sevin or 3336, I educate clients about proper watering practices and soil management. They probably need to cut down on their watering and core aerate+topdress the lawn.

bug-guy
05-10-2008, 08:54 AM
earthworms are benefical insects and rose bushes are beautiful shrubs, but if a rose bush was growing in a cornfield it would treated as a weed(undesirable growth). have you ever seen what worms can do to a putting green

Subterfuge
05-10-2008, 07:10 PM
"thiophanate methyl & earthworms"

You really have to know your stuff to know that!!!:weightlifter: I am extremely impressed. Not even all golf course supt know that mix.

greendoctor
05-11-2008, 05:57 AM
You really have to know your stuff to know that!!!:weightlifter: I am extremely impressed. Not even all golf course supt know that mix.

I am guilty of treating a lawn for "cough, cough" both summer patch and billbug damage 4 oz 3336 + 6 oz Sevin SL watered in immediately.. It is not a routine application for me. However, I can see doing it if it bothers the client that there are ping-pong ball sized castings all over the lawn and they are not overwatering. I will otherwise leave it alone.

Marcos
05-11-2008, 01:48 PM
have you ever seen what worms can do to a putting green

So why hold all this against the worms ?

They were around on this planet eons before any stupid golf course was !!!

:)

(....and....more than likely...they'll be here EONS after we're all dead and gone !!!)

bug-guy
05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
so have roaches, rats and snakes...
need to look at the term pest.

that's like saying pot is organic so it must be good

PSUTURFGEEK
05-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Golf course superintendants have a very unstable job as it is and if the greens commitee wants the worms dead Damn right they will kill them so thier children which as you may not realize are higher on the food chain can eat.

Marcos
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Golf course superintendants have a very unstable job as it is and if the greens commitee wants the worms dead Damn right they will kill them so thier children which as you may not realize are higher on the food chain can eat.

My point is....is that g.c. supers, as well as the golfers themselves should have a whole heck of alot more to think and /or worry about...than a few greens or tees that may have a larger number of "over-exuberant" :cool2:worms on them.

I would suspect that over 90% or so of the people that regularly play golf can understand the concept that any given golf course is never going to be "perfect".
Indeed, playing around sometimes unknown and unforeseen imperfections, such as "worm mounds", should make most golfers even better players for the experience !!
:waving:

phasthound
05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
[QUOTEHowever, I can see doing it if it bothers the client that there are ping-pong ball sized castings all over the lawn.[/QUOTE]

Yo, greendoctor! Send those castings to me!!!