PDA

View Full Version : Double Overlap And Crabgrass Control

heritage
05-09-2008, 10:27 PM
So I was thinking that most all of us are using the "Double Overlap" method, when applying Granular Fert.

How many of you make 2 passes on your Perimiter pass around drives and walks?

I was thinking this may be a reason some always have Crab along the Edges wher temps are higher and more microbial degradation......But only HALF the Crab Pre Emergence?

Pete

turfsurfer
05-09-2008, 11:04 PM
If you've got your deflector down and walking right on the perimeter, then throwing back to your footprints won't leave you spreading too light on the trim passes.

Whitey4
05-10-2008, 12:41 AM
I intentionally get granules on walkways. Then I sweep those granules back into the lawn edge. Weeds, like crabgrass, tend to populate places grass doesn't like.... along walks, where it tends to be drier and hotter from the adjacent concrete slabs. Sweeping stray granules into the edges seems to help prevent emergence. Dandelions also prefer those areas.... weeds like conditions that grass doesn't like. Harsh, hot, poor soil conditions....

Subterfuge
05-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes, the heat does matter along edges for crabgrass but also consider that this is often where the mower wheels turn. It doens't take much to break the pre-emergent barrier. Plus granular doesn't give you as complete of coverage as spraying.