PDA

View Full Version : Got my new GMC 3500 dump

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Finally picked up my new 2007 GMC 3500 Dump today. I found a good deal on an 07 up in maine. Drove up an hour or so and picked it up today. I'll get some better pics of both the trucks tomorrow, but I just got home and it was dark. The first picture is one the dealer took of it for listing it online, the second is one of it sitting in my driveway, very dark though.

Its got the 6.0 vortec, its the w/t edition, so no cd, power locks, power windows or anything which is ok being a dump truck and all. Monroe 2/3 yard dump body.

A couple questions for those of you who already have dump trucks, this is my first one, is it better to leave the body up a little when its going to rain out so the rain can drain, or is it better to leave it down then dump out the rain later? I see a lot of guys doing it both ways, but I don't want to put to much constant stress on the hydros.

Thanks.

Raven386
05-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Very nice! Congrats on the new purchase! lots of luck with her... you lucky S.O.B!

Paulup
05-10-2008, 01:41 AM
From what i know about working dozers and track hoes, so long as you don't leave the cylinders all the way up it shouldn't hurt anything. You don't want constant pressure on it though, so might be better off waiting for someone with more dump truck experience to chime in. I've never seen any full size dump trucks left with the box tilted, so there is probably something to that.

Raven386
05-10-2008, 01:45 AM
the water will come out once you drive... or just tilt it a bit when you get going. no need to leave it raised constantly. I dont own a dump truck though so I might be wrong.

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm not talking all the way up, I've just seen guys leaving them up a few inches so it slopes slightly back, instead of forward. Although there is a local excavation company around here and every time I drive by I admire their equipment and they have two HUGE volvo dump trucks, everytime I drive by, the bodies are all the way up, or slightly up. I couldn't keep it all the way up in my driveway even if I wanted to, I'd hit the power lines lol.

PORTER 05
05-10-2008, 07:13 AM
ya some guys freak out with that stuff, i see there dump bodies totally lifted i dont get it, i just keep it the way it is and when we use it i just dump the water out before we leave---

if you dont mind me asking about how much was that truck, payments every month?? , or did you buy it out right??..sweet truck man, i cant wait till i get my newer dump, i dont think ill go for brand new though!

i was just in newburyport yestery , can you say "kittens" lol!

KrayzKajun
05-10-2008, 08:46 AM
very nice rig!!! Congrats

JohnsonLawn
05-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Congrats on the new truck. I hope it treats you well. I usually leave my dump bed up about 6 inches when a real heavy rain is coming, otherwise I could swim in the back of the truck. Just my .02 cents

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 09:53 AM
ya some guys freak out with that stuff, i see there dump bodies totally lifted i dont get it, i just keep it the way it is and when we use it i just dump the water out before we leave---

if you dont mind me asking about how much was that truck, payments every month?? , or did you buy it out right??..sweet truck man, i cant wait till i get my newer dump, i dont think ill go for brand new though!

i was just in newburyport yestery , can you say "kittens" lol!

All said and done, I paid 27K including the dump body, put down 30% so payments for 60 Months are like 300 something, can't remember exactly though. I usually never go 60 monthes, I always do 36 but I fuiger that I'm going to make high payments on it and get it done in a year and a half or so. I just thought that it might be nice to have the lower payments in the winter, just incase it decides not to snow. We now have two ends of our business, the property management of the building we own, and the landscaping end. We have separate checking accounts for both parts, and the payments are set up as an automatic deduction from the landscaping account. So if worse came to worse, the PM end of it could pick up a couple payments, but I'd rather just keep it completely separate. That was my reasoning for that.

Oh, and kittens. HAHA, I always drive by going to Home Depot, but never been.

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Another question for you dump truck guys, I'm going to build the wooden sides today, and I would like to go more than one 2x6 high, but the slots are only high enough for one, so I was thinking of getting some kind of gate latch thing at home depot and setting it up so it can stick into a hole on the head board at the top of the side, to prevent it from bending outwards. Also, since my tractor can load it with no sides, I want the removable. So I was thinking of getting 4 trailer hitch pins, and using that instead of a bolt to hold the sides on it. What do you think?

PORTER 05
05-10-2008, 03:45 PM
dude put board gussets on it, they are the best, then you just slip in youre sideboards, itll keep everything nice and neat and the boards will stay straight, also you can mount oval leds, or strobes to it--

i cant belives that price i sopose it isnt diesel and has no power ect, but 27000 is awsome, youre starting to give me ideas!!!!

is it 4X4??

and are you going to put a plow on it!!

MysticLandscape
05-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Just like this. Fine someone that welds or just buy em. $100.

DBL
05-10-2008, 05:18 PM
sweet dump...we leave our dumps a little up when it rains

Lawn Enforcer
05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Cool beans! Hope it works well for you!

Supper Grassy
05-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Very Nice Truck
how does it run

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Runs great. I just finished building the sides today. Heres a few pictures. I used trailer hitch cotter pins as you can see so I can remove them easily for when I load with the tractor. Maybe I'll get some of those things you mentioned mystic, but I didn't even see your post to now and I just finished the sides.

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Heres a side profile.

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
I feel like I can only go so high on the sides, because I have the crysteel with the clipped corners.

PlatinumLandCon
05-10-2008, 10:36 PM
How does the 6.0 pull compared to the D-Max? I'm looking to get a dump but I think I'd go diesel if I was getting a new one. My plan is to have my truck pulling the enclosed with tools , then have the dump moving materials with the skid out back.

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Part of the fleet, besides the red s-10. But that things not even worth the picture, You can kind of see its roof behind the dump, and the little strobe on the roof of it.

merrimacmill
05-10-2008, 10:43 PM
How does the 6.0 pull compared to the D-Max? I'm looking to get a dump but I think I'd go diesel if I was getting a new one. My plan is to have my truck pulling the enclosed with tools , then have the dump moving materials with the skid out back.

I have no idea, I don't have a tow plate on it yet. It didn't come with anything there. I'll let you know though. I'm not sure if its just the drag of the dump body, or the fact that I'm used to driving the diesel but there is definitally a power difference. It just feels a lot different driving a gas truck. Its been a LONG time for me.

deere615
05-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Nice Dump Truck

cat320
05-11-2008, 11:08 AM
nice dump I don't care for the body on the truck for that reason of the cliped corners I don't see the advantage of not being able to use every inch of the body height especially for light material.

Utility Dave
05-11-2008, 01:47 PM
You going to put a plow on it??

merrimacmill
05-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Ya, I'm planning on putting on a Boss VXT 9' 2" I believe it is. I'm also planning on a tailgate spreader. I was thinking of going electric on that because I don't really want to go through the trouble of putting in central hydros. Also, it seems that all the controllers for those hydro tail gate spreaders have the hydraulics comming right into the cab. I can't even begin to imagine if I blew a line INSIDE THE CAB. That would be awful.

DBL
05-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Ya, I'm planning on putting on a Boss VXT 9' 2" I believe it is. I'm also planning on a tailgate spreader. I was thinking of going electric on that because I don't really want to go through the trouble of putting in central hydros. Also, it seems that all the controllers for those hydro tail gate spreaders have the hydraulics comming right into the cab. I can't even begin to imagine if I blew a line INSIDE THE CAB. That would be awful.

no central hydrolics needed for a v box.....dont mess around with those little trash cans with motors

JFGLN
05-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Looks good. How much does the dump body weigh?

merrimacmill
05-12-2008, 01:26 AM
It weighs about 1300 pounds. Not includeing the hoist though.

merrimacmill
05-12-2008, 02:57 AM
no central hydrolics needed for a v box.....dont mess around with those little trash cans with motors

I would go with a V box, but I want to be able to haul snow if I have to and not have to remove the V box, and my tractor doesn't have enough lift height to load salt into a V box, but it can load into the dump body. Which is the biggest reason for wanting to go with a tail gate spreader.

J&R Landscaping
05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Nice truck, Whats the empty weight of the truck and whats the gvwr?

merrimacmill
05-12-2008, 05:17 PM
the gvwr is 12,500 pounds. The empty weight, I'm not sure of yet, or off the top of my head.